Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flora's Women's Mini Marathon 2014 Mod Note #21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

I think there are some people that do it every year - why don't they just have more stewards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

I'm really glad to see the route change this year. its a much more direct route with less tight corners at the start where a lot of the congestion happens. By keeping it straight it will make over taking easier. Looking at it though it does look like we'll still have to go over the flyover - the route seems to go over the bridge towards fosters ave and under on the way back but we'll see on the day. But its nice to also see an extra water station just before this too which will really make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'm really glad to see the route change this year. its a much more direct route with less tight corners at the start where a lot of the congestion happens. By keeping it straight it will make over taking easier. Looking at it though it does look like we'll still have to go over the flyover - the route seems to go over the bridge towards fosters ave and under on the way back but we'll see on the day. But its nice to also see an extra water station just before this too which will really make a difference.

The main route stays on the N11.
    There's an option to go up the slip road for water and toilets if you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    The main route stays on the N11.
    There's an option to go up the slip road for water and toilets if you need.

Oh that's great to know. Though if the water is on the slip road seems like a bad choice. The road can get quite narrow there. Would make more sense to have it just before or just after. Toilets there make sense but toilets & water might make for a bit of a jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Oh that's great to know. Though if the water is on the slip road seems like a bad choice. The road can get quite narrow there. Would make more sense to have it just before or just after. Toilets there make sense but toilets & water might make for a bit of a jam.

Plenty of space up there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

How are we all set for this time next week?! :D

I'm not looking forward to it. Haven't been out jogging since darkness into light. Was busy at home, then hurt my ankle playing badminton a week and half ago, did nothing last week because of resting ankle and bad weather. Was ready to put in a bit of work this week but today I am sore all over. Was at an indoor waterpark yesterday and slipped getting onto a slide while holding the rail and yanked my shoulders. I have heels on today for work and my ankle feels sore. I'm tired and want my bed! :(

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    How are we all set for this time next week?!

Not great then :D

I'm looking forward to it. I think I'm going to like the route change, hopefully it won't be too hot like last year, that was unbearable.

I've been tipping away since the beginning of the year, doing at least 10-15 miles a week, some more, some less, so all things being equal, I should be grand.

Wonder if they would consider posting out numbers if you forego the "not so good" goodie bag. Driving to pick up that load of bumf is a pain

Not looking forward to it at the moment, had a disaster of a run yesterday, have a strained groin and numbness in my foot when running :(

I have a physio apt wednesday so we'll see how that goes, can't really risk running until then so feeling a bit deflated.

Good luck to all the ladies doing this today. Weather looks to be playing ball anyway, not too hot and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭derb12

Just home after this today. Overall another great one, I came in just over the hour but as I had a few health issues this year, I was pretty pleased.
    It never ceases to amaze me how I still had to be running around walkers even though I had a pink number so should have been surrounded by runners only. I was weaving my way through some walkers by the top of Baggot St and there were walkers in front of me still by the time I got to Donnybrook. They must have been running really fast and then walking for a bit, because I passed the same people a few times.
    I stupidly only glanced at the route and I didn't realise how far down the N11 we had to go .... purely psychological as we'd passed the half-way mark already, but we were practically at Fosters Ave before the turn.
    Best part of the whole thing was the special pad that you had to run across at the bend in the N11 - should foil the cheaters!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

A lot of the walkers you passed started early. I was in the runners' section, went through the start in less than 20 seconds and was passing walkers all along the course, most of whom had yellow numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Fab run by Barbara to win today, great to see her back in the Donore vest. Raging I missed out on running but mostly on going in to watch one of our girls beat Maria McCambridge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

vitani wrote: »
    A lot of the walkers you passed started early. I was in the runners' section, went through the start in less than 20 seconds and was passing walkers all along the course, most of whom had yellow numbers.

Yes indeed. I was spectating at the 3k mark and there were lots of walkers coming through before the race had officially started.

derb12 wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how I still had to be running around walkers even though I had a pink number so should have been surrounded by runners only. I was weaving my way through some walkers by the top of Baggot St and there were walkers in front of me still by the time I got to Donnybrook. They must have been running really fast and then walking for a bit, because I passed the same people a few times.
    and this
    Best part of the whole thing was the special pad that you had to run across at the bend in the N11 - should foil the cheaters!!

I'm also amazed that there is walkers up at the front - how do they start early? Don't we all have to cross the pad at the front? Saw the pad on the bend at the N11, didn't realise what that was for but like you, I'm delighted - it will sort out the ladies that did 10k and the ones that did 7.5k :D

I have a few issues with the set up today, but I'm putting that in the rant thread :P

Wasn't happy with my time, I was about 1 hour 25mins. Was aiming for 1 hour 15. Had to walk a good lot of it which annoyed me, in my head I wanted to jog but my body just wouldn't move for me. Will really aim to do well at it next year.

Is that what the ramp was for at the bend on the n11?

I seen two women duck under the tape where nutley lane joined the n11. They got a few booes alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

AK333 wrote: »
    I'm also amazed that there is walkers up at the front - how do they start early? Don't we all have to cross the pad at the front?

I guess they just start early from somewhere near the official start line. They won' get an official chip time as they never crossed the start check.

They must have got in with the other groups, there was a few yellow tags in with the blues, and passing the pink bibs the far side of the road I could see yellow bibs too. I suppose it would be easy enough sneak into another starting group if you had a top or strap covering the coloured part.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Does your time go from when you cross the start line? It was 32 mins before we crossed it so technically did it in an hour and 20 mins.
    Was very happy with that as I ran a good but more than I thought I would!

It was lovely to see everyone doing it for all the different charities

menoscemo wrote: »
    I guess they just start early from somewhere near the official start line. They won' get an official chip time as they never crossed the start check.

I saw quite a few older ladies with yellow numbers walking up from the direction the elite runners come from - these ladies were never going to run it so why go in the front of elite runners? Its nuts. I can see why some of the elite runners on this thread get annoyed, I'm beginning to get that way myself. Seeing ladies with blue/pink numbers, munching on sausage rolls on the way to the start line, full make-up on but must remember that most participants in this race are raising huge amounts of money for charity- that's their focus and a very good focus it is.

Mrs W wrote: »
    Does your time go from when you cross the start line? It was 32 mins before we crossed it so technically did it in an hour and 20 mins.
    Was very happy with that as I ran a good but more than I thought I would!
    It was lovely to see everyone doing it for all the different charities

yes it does and well done for completing it. I found the heat tough, and I know it wasn't that hot, but it did bother me. I seem to get slower every year :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭derb12

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Is that what the ramp was for at the bend on the n11?
    Well I assumed that was what it was for. Could be wrong, but it would be a good idea to make sure that every runner passes a marker at the furthest away part of the course.
    Ahhh .. remember this one?

derb12 wrote: »
    Well I assumed that was what it was for. Could be wrong, but it would be a good idea to make sure that every runner passes a marker at the furthest away part of the course.
    Ahhh .. remember this one?

I think you must be right - they didn't advertise the second mat but I'm sure it was to DQ the people that finished, but didn't cross all the mats. I remember the furore over her "run" and we still didn't get to the end of it. Surely someone would have noticed her out running, took a photo, etc, NO, wonder why :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Regarding the walkers so far ahead today, I heard a text read out on a national radio show at 11.30 this morning to wish a group of runners doing the mini marathon the best of luck as they were starting the event at that time.

This happens every year as a lot of folks from down the country come up on the first train early in the morning and do the event early in order to make the train back down the country before the day is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JoeCole26

When are the official times out or do you need to wait for the Evening Herald?

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    When are the official times out or do you need to wait for the Evening Herald?

Thanks

The 'evening' herald is an all day paper you should be able to pick it up early. They'll probably be online around lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

Really enjoyed this event yesterday. It was my first 10k and I'm glad I did it in a very uncompetitive environment so I felt completely comfortable and able to just enjoy it. I also learned some lessons from the day- I wore too much clothing (used to running at night) and drank water far too close to start time. These are things I can easily rectify to hopefully have a better run next time!

I really appreciated the Elverys motivational posters!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭CassieManson

AK333 wrote: »
    I picked up my number last Sunday. Is anyone else under-whelmed by the "not so good" Goodie Bag. Packet of crisps, bar and a whole load of bumf. I for one wish they would save some money by posting out the race number and the magazine and save me driving a 2 hour round trip. All the advertisers could donate the money they save on producing their flyers to a nominated charity each year and we save a few forests. Not long to go now and on a positive, I like the new route.

I thought those pop chrisps were lovely, I ate them last night after I got in from the race. Anyone know where you can buy them in Dublin?

I agree that it would be much better if they would post out the race numbers. I have never managed to get in and out of that Women's World exhibition without buying stuff!

I thought those pop chrisps were lovely, I ate them last night after I got in from the race. Anyone know where you can buy them in Dublin?

I actually seen them in O'Briens sandwich bar yesterday after the race. I didn't like them at all and neither my husband nor son would finish them and that's saying something!

I agree that it would be much better if they would post out the race numbers. I have never managed to get in and out of that Women's World exhibition without buying stuff!

I agree - although I didn't have to go to Women's World - by the time I drove to collect mine from Elverys three quarters of an hour away and got home again it felt like half the day was gone. Wish you could elect to have your race number posted out to you with the magazine and race info and opt to forgo the "goodie bag" instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I found it really tough yesterday and ive no excuses. I was up the front so there were no crowds in front of me. ..there ere plenty of crowds a head of me when I got to 5k mind you! ..I dunno was it the standing around for the hour before hand but my legs felt like lead from the start. I really had to concentrate on my breathing and I don't know was it the 'excitement' of the day. ..but even when I was running slow I couldn't get my breathing down...it was like there wasn't enough air. Finally at donnybrook bus garage my second wind kicked in and I flew. Bit late then though!

By the time I got to leeson street I looked at my watch and it was 57 mins so I knew I wasn't going to get in under the hour so i just relaxed and enjoyed the sights and sounds. ..then I knew the finish line was just over leeson st bridge so I just put the foot down and gave everything till I got to the finish. ...63 mins....I was gutted when I saw the clock. ..58 mins is my best time and id hoped to do better than that...but if I'm honest I really didn't put enough effort in over the last few weeks. I've been messing around with different techniques tryna speed up...whereas if I just stuck to a plan I would have been better prepared. I got great advice on here a few weeks ago about taking it slow and easy and thats what I did on the day..but I dunno...it just didn't work lol ...my breathing just didnt work. On the bright side when i got to leeson st bridge i just said feck it and put the foot down and absolutely pegged it to the finish. I would never have been able to do that before. ..id have had nothing left in the tank...so running wise there were improvements...even if the time says different. I just have to accept I'm not Sonia Osullivan lol...im only running a year and I did far better in this FWMM than I did last year.

The new route was great. ..its such a psychological thing...but coming down the dual carriageway and knowing I only had to get to Fitzwilliam square was great.

My plan now is to get out more often, using the slow and consistent mentality, get a few more 10ks in this year and maybe chill the hell out and enjoy and not take it so seriously!!

Advertisement