Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizzle stick supplier

• 28-02-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

My guy really likes pizzle sticks, good thick ones keep him busy for ages. Does anyone know of a good supplier for them, I usually get them from maxi zoo but sometimes there are only 2-3 good thick ones in the bag and the rest aren't great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was going to ask the same - I want the long ones though. My dog has separation anxiety and with a long pizzle from maxi zoo I was able to leave him for an hour last week and he was eating it when I got home! :) I've gotten beef scalp from zooplus but haven't tried him with it yet - it's really long and really thick.

For the normal sized ones I got Hollings ones from medicanilmal (but any of the UK sites stock them) and found them great - nice and hard and lasted ages. They come in packs of 10 but you can but them in bulk. After that I got some of from zooplus but find them a bit crap - they're more dry than 'glassy' like the Hollings ones and don't last as long. Also the zooplus ones sizes are all different - some are thickish but some are really thin and don't last long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

tk123 wrote: »
    I was going to ask the same - I want the long ones though. My dog has separation anxiety and with a long pizzle from maxi zoo I was able to leave him for an hour last week and he was eating it when I got home! :) I've gotten beef scalp from zooplus but haven't tried him with it yet - it's really long and really thick.

For the normal sized ones I got Hollings ones from medicanilmal (but any of the UK sites stock them) and found them great - nice and hard and lasted ages. They come in packs of 10 but you can but them in bulk. After that I got some of from zooplus but find them a bit crap - they're more dry than 'glassy' like the Hollings ones and don't last as long. Also the zooplus ones sizes are all different - some are thickish but some are really thin and don't last long

Dealing with seperation anxiety here too, posted a couple of weeks ago here and DBB gave me some really helpful tips and it has been getting better, he seems to really like the pizzle sticks and they last a long time so they are perfect for keeping him busy when I am gone, I had gotten some from zooplus before and was not impressed, at least in maxi zoo I can have a look at the bag and see which one has the best ones I got a bag for 13.99, they are a pretty good length and while it did have some duds, he has been working on a good one since early Friday on and off.

Ok well the beef scalp only lasted around 20 mins so no good for us! Going to stick with extra long pizzle sticks and when the zooplus ones are finished I'll get some of the Hollings ones too.

What a DISASTER today's training was :(
    20 mins in pup starts barking/crying, then the bloody alarm went off, after 5 mins Bailey got upset with it and spent the next hour alternating between barking at the alarm, barking to go into the kitchen and lying down. Somewhere in the middle (i'd no camera in the kitchen - pup was always fine on her own but last couple of weeks has started to cry..possibly her first season will happen soon) puppy girl escaped from the crate and ripped some paper up in the kitchen! Possibly SHE set the alarm off when she escaped - maybe banging off the door or something. The only positive is that he's just barking normally - it's not really frantic/panic barking. Next time I think I'll just give Lucy one of the huge pizzles too and crate her in the same room as Bailey - that way she hopefully won't go mad for his treat and they'll have each other for company...

Update - I got over an hour out of beef scalp today so not as bad as I orginally thought! I gave a much thicker piece and here's still about 8-10 inches left after an hour. The maxi zoo pizzle is way better than the zooplus one too so thanks for that - I'll be picking up a bag tomorrow ;)

Advertisement