Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ankylosing spondylitis

Options
  • 28-02-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,
    ive just be told i have the HLA-B27 gene and im a bit worried about it as i am only 23. I am in a lot of pain and it affects me in my everyday life i find it hard to sit down as the pain flares up and have restless nights sleep 5 nights of the week from the pain i get in my hips and lower back.

I also heard it can affect your ribs, is this true? because my ribs aint the same shape as a normal rib cage. Im really worried and just want some answers as i cant find anything which feels relevant to me.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try the long term illness forum instead:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=862

but stay away from asking for anything that could constitute medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Jack1991 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    ive just be told i have the HLA-B27 gene and im a bit worried about it as i am only 23. I am in a lot of pain and it affects me in my everyday life i find it hard to sit down as the pain flares up and have restless nights sleep 5 nights of the week from the pain i get in my hips and lower back.

I also heard it can affect your ribs, is this true? because my ribs aint the same shape as a normal rib cage. Im really worried and just want some answers as i cant find anything which feels relevant to me.

Hope your not feeling to bad or in too much shock, it takes a bit of getting used to but you will learn how to manage it, deep breaths help ;-)

AS and how it progresses is different in everyone, it can affect your ribs but that doesn't mean it will. I know it can be very frightening when you are first diagnosed but there is an awful lot they can do now to help slow down and manage the pain and symptoms of AS.

Have you been prescribed anti TNF of any kind? The earlier you start this treatment the better, it can stop AS in its tracks. What medication are you being prescribed, your GP or Consultant should be able to precribe some thing for the flare ups and spasm that keep you awake.

Here is the link for AS Ireland http://www.ankylosing-spondylitis.ie/
    You can email them if you have any questions.
    The British site is also very helpful.

If there is any questions I can answer I'd be only too happy to help, I've had AS for years.
    Keeping active its the best thing you can do to help your AS, swimming or water jogging in deep water with a floatation belt is what I find works best because there is no impact on the body.

No lifting - none - lifting will be the thing that causes you the most problems, just so NO and dont do it.

If your having a flare up listen to your body and rest, dont try to fight your way through it because it wont work. Lack of sleep because of pain can be a big problem, your rheumy will prescibe you medication for this, take it when you need it, you will feel better and sleep helps the body to heal.

AS gets easier to manage the longer you have it, the anti TNF injections have been a huge break through for people with AS, I know of cases where these injections have literally stopped the AS completely. If you have been precribed anti TNF and its not working for you make sure to tell your rheumy because they may have to try you on a couple before they find the one that suits you best, it might stop your symptoms in there tracks, it will definitely give you alot of relief.

The pain from AS can make you very weary so be kind to yourself and let people help you, I know its hard b

Advertisement