Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural Slate prices ?

Options
  • 01-03-2014 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

Any idea what slate prices currently are for natural slates ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Colash wrote: »
    Any idea what slate prices currently are for natural slates ?

Recent price from SvK was 1.95 + VAT. Looks like a nice slate from the sample. Changes cost for slating roof from 3.5k to 7k+ (not including increased labour cost).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Yes most good natural slates (600x300) are around around the €1.95 + VAT per slate. You can pay more though for the 'premium' slates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

BarneyMc wrote: »
    Yes most good natural slates (600x300) are around around the €1.95 + VAT per slate. You can pay more though for the 'premium' slates.

Premium = not inferior

Sick of looking at cheap natural slates in bits, cross vein cut etc

Either go 'premium' or go man made, otherwise yearly repairs may be required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

my friend wrote: »
    Premium = not inferior

Sick of looking at cheap natural slates in bits, cross vein cut etc

Either go 'premium' or go man made, otherwise yearly repairs may be required

Did my post suggest premium = inferior :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Colash
    There are a great variety of natural slates on the market today. The prices i see in posts are about right. Slating with natural slate will cost about two and a half times the std slate price. At the end of the day you will have a slate that will last a lifetime ( If they are installed properly ) where some of the cost comes in is:
    1. All natural slates have to be graded otherwise you will not get a uniform and flat coverage on roof;
    2. You may need to use heavier timbers on roof as slates are heavier than manmade slates.
    3. It is advisable to use 50 x 35mm battens on roof. ( This gives you a more rigid batten when nailing slates and you will not a spring in batten and so slates are nailed firm ( If 50x22 battens are used this can cause a spring in timber and slates will not be nailed secure)
    4. Use copper nails when nailing.

Make sure you employ a good natural slater as I have seen some very shoddy done.

Just to give you a small example I sold four houses of a particular natural siate on the same road. I was asked by a customer to show him a few roofs I have done. He picked the third house because he was very impressed with the quality of the slate and the fitting.
    He did not like the other 3 houses and asked me what kind of slate were they, He was amazed to learn they were the same slates on all houses. houses done by 4 different slaters 3 of rhe hosess were done poorly by 3 different guys who were not to familiar with natural slate.

If you decide to go natural employ a good natural slater and go and see his work on a few houses.

NW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭cam1452

I see you can buy new natural slates on donedeal for .60 cent is this to good to be true

Advertisement