Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

westerly winds in Dublin

• 01-03-2014 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey all,

I am going to move to Dublin this year for job. I'm also a big fan of kite surf, and can't wait to get there :)
    is it possible to go on the water with westerly winds ? I found somewhere they were predominant. This seems to be very off shore to me.. On the other hand, I found in forums, that u can go kite surf very often. How is that possible ?!

Appart from sutton and dollymount are there other spots in dublin area?
    can u go in sandymount for exemple ?
    is the crowd manageable ?

cheers
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Welcome !!

Kitesurfing in Dublin is indeed great, with some of the biggest city beaches in Europe. However when it's blowing a westerly Dublin is not the place. You will need to be hopping in a car to drive West or South for a couple of hours in order to find a safe kiteable spot in these conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sutton is cross shore on a westerly but its gusty as it's coming off the land

2 to 2.5 hour drive from Dublin for a good beach for a pure W.
    SW (Dollymount) and NW (Sutton, Booterstown) can be kited in Dublin though.
    Best directions for Dublin are S to SE. E and NE good too.
    Poolbeg is generally better than Sandymount yet is only 5 mins by car away.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tringlarido

thanks all,
    "2 to 2.5 hour drive from Dublin for a good beach for a pure W" which one is the nearest :) ?
    all right so it's only the pure West that doesn't work. I guess it gives frequent opportunities to go out there.
    Oh I read different things about sandy mount, some say that when it's S wind, the wind is usually stronger in dollymount.
    Well, I'll have a better picture when I'll be there, can't wait :)
    Are they any waves sometimes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ImportMeHappy

Rosses Point in Sligo (http://lsdkiteboarding.com/beaches/rosses-point) is where I tend to go for westerlies, I live on west side of the City so reachable in 2 hours.

Have a look at google maps and you'll see that Dollymount runs south west to north east, so a southerly is cross on. A southerly in Sandymount is closer to cross-off than cross-on so the wind is going to cut up and be less powerful, as Glasso says just go to Poolbeg if your staying southside.

Use this site for high-res local dublin forecast for the next 24 hours..

http://www.belgingur.is/opna/en/1/gfs/dublin/1/vindur

• Advertisement

Rosses Point and Streedagh in Sligo are good options.
    Lahinch in Clare also.

If the wind is S to SW and just about get-outabble in Dublin e.g. 13/14 knots and it's a south better off going that bit further and going to Dollymount as it will be a bit stronger than Poolbeg and could make the difference between getting out or not. S will get a bit blocked by the coastline. SE to E pretty much the same strength at Dolly and Poolbeg. Sandymount only works well 1 hour either side of high tide and in a decent stregth wind - preferably a wind with a lot of E in it.

Advertisement