Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random crashing, accompanied by buzzing sound while playing games.

Options
  • 01-03-2014 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an issue whenever I play games on my PC, an issue that occurs more frequently on demanding games like Far Cry 3 and Arma 3.

What will happen is that I'll be in the middle of playing the game, when it will freeze, display a random colour on my screen (typically white, pink or green) and emit an irritating buzzing noise. Sometimes it only lasts a few seconds, and will then return to the game and resume as normal, while a lot of the time it will persist, forcing me to reset my computer.

It only happens on and off, but as I mentioned, it occurs more often on intensive games.

My GPU has never passed 80 degrees and my CPU remains in the 50-70 range, so it's not an overheating or airflow issue. Most games run fun, hitting 50-60 FPS without much issue, and I've never overclocked any of my hardware. I have all of the latest drivers installed.

My rig:
    1 Terabyte Hard Disk
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX660Ti
    Intel i5 3570k
    ASRock Z77 Pro3 Motherboard
    8GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory
    Antec 520w High Current Gamer Power Supply

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also get an error whenever it happens. It can be seen in the attachment below.
    I've also had my GPU for roughly a year and I've had my CPU for only four months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

DredFX wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an issue whenever I play games on my PC, an issue that occurs more frequently on demanding games like Far Cry 3 and Arma 3.

What will happen is that I'll be in the middle of playing the game, when it will freeze, display a random colour on my screen (typically white, pink or green) and emit an irritating buzzing noise. Sometimes it only lasts a few seconds, and will then return to the game and resume as normal, while a lot of the time it will persist, forcing me to reset my computer.

It only happens on and off, but as I mentioned, it occurs more often on intensive games.

My GPU has never passed 80 degrees and my CPU remains in the 50-70 range, so it's not an overheating or airflow issue. Most games run fun, hitting 50-60 FPS without much issue, and I've never overclocked any of my hardware. I have all of the latest drivers installed.

My rig:
    1 Terabyte Hard Disk
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX660Ti
    Intel i5 3570k
    ASRock Z77 Pro3 Motherboard
    8GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory
    Antec 520w High Current Gamer Power Supply

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also get an error whenever it happens. It can be seen in the attachment below.
    I've also had my GPU for roughly a year and I've had my CPU for only four months.

I too am getting weird buzzing sounds and random freezing when playing media files. Buzzing and freezing with XBMC, WMC, VLC, Plex etc. Buzzing sounds with music playback.
    Tried changing HDMI cable, updating drivers, looked at Sound settings all to no effect.

I am running Nvidia on an ion Asus Nettop. I am not at the pc at the moment so will post full specs later.

Maybe it's an issue with Nvidia?

Only started happening yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

I've never had it happen when playing music or watching movies; just when playing games.

Was playing Far Cry 3 just there and it happened again. Temps didn't even surpass 70. I have no idea what is going on. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

DredFX wrote: »
    I've never had it happen when playing music or watching movies; just when playing games.

Was playing Far Cry 3 just there and it happened again. Temps didn't even surpass 70. I have no idea what is going on. :(

I don't game and only really use the pc for movies and music. Updated drivers for Nvidia last week so maybe there is an issue with them. I am going to investigate further over the weekend.

Okay, it happened again while playing Far Cry 3. Computer restarted and then I got this message:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 6153

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 116
    BCP1: FFFFFA800DA65010
    BCP2: FFFFF88006385694
    BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
    BCP4: 0000000000000004
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

What does this indicate? Any help would be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I have the same problem on my laptop. It has something to do with the graphics card. Whether its drivers, the card, or the pci slot on the motherboard i do not know.

Try these maybe?:

1st test : Uninstall drivers - re-install latest
    2nd test Uninstall drivers - install a step back from latest.
    3rd test Change pci slots of the graphics card if possible.
    4th test try the card in another machine to see if the error is recreated.

I haven't fixed my laptop problem as i don't know squat about them hardware wise. I've tried different drivers but to no avail. I think its a hardware problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

Is the buzzing sound coming from your audio system/speakers, or is it coming from inside the case?
    if it inside the case, its most likely a temperature alarm.
    -Go into your bios, and check if you have alarms set.

Don't always believe temperature readings either. Usually CPU temps are reliable enough, but others not so.

Buzzing noise is not coming from the case. I do have my earphones in when I'm playing. The buzzing is coming from the audio.

Advertisement