Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart rate zones...

Options
  • 01-03-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry it's a bit longwinded.

I've been following the below plan for the last week or so:

http://gbr.garmin.com/winter-training/_downloads/triathlon/Tri-Training-Programme-12-week-Olympic-Intermediate.pdf

I'm finding it impossible to stay in the prescribed zones.

I've carried out a MHR test for both running and cycling and it bases the zones off this.
    Zone 1 (50-60) of MHR
    Zone 1 (60-70) of MHR
    Zone 1 (70-80) of MHR
    Zone 1 (80-90) of MHR
    Zone 1 (90-100) of MHR

Yesterday called for Build Run 50 mins:
    Set 1: 20min Z1
    Set 2: 15min Z2
    Set 3: 10min Z3,
    Set 4: 5min Z1

Jogging pace had me in the middle of zone 2.
    10K pace had me at 5.4 on the watch.
    If I was to have stuck to the above it would have equated to a brisk walk.:confused:

Is basing zones of Max Heart Rate pointless or are the standard garmin ranges way off?
    Is LTHR more reliable?

As always, any suggestions or insights are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What tests did you do, and what rates did they give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

Oryx wrote: »
    What tests did you do, and what rates did they give you?

Hi Oryx,

Running:
    I did two tests for this.
    Test 1) After around 8-9 km of a warm up, I increase my speed on a straight stretch of road until sprinting and hold for as long as I can. This gave me 194.
    Test 2) 5 x 800m intervals increasing pace on each rep and maxing out on last 2. Hit 195 for this.

Cycling: Pasted below
    Warm up fully for 10 to 15 minutes.
    Use your large chain ring and choose the lowest gear (e.g. 52 x 18). Pedal at a steady cadence of 90 rpm for 2 minutes.
    Then change up to the next gear (52 x 17) without pausing.
    Maintain the same cadence (90-rpm). Pedal this gear for 2 minutes and change up again still maintaining the 90-rpm cadence.
    Continue changing up to the next sprocket every two minutes, constantly maintaining 90-rpm.
    Your heart rate should rise constantly. It may level out at some point (your OHR) but carry on with the test.
    Continue at 90 rpm, changing up a sprocket every two minutes, until you are no longer able to go on.
    Do not stop immediately but keep pedalling and warm down gradually for the next ten minutes
    Hit 188 for this.

I've read up a bit more and found better ranges for the zones I think.
    Zone 1 (60-70)% of MHR
    Zone 2 (70-80)% of MHR
    Zone 3 (80-85)% of MHR
    Zone 4 (85-90)% of MHR
    Zone 5 (90-100)% of MHR

Should fit the plan better.

Advertisement