Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which hospital?

Options
  • 01-03-2014 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello everyone. My other half lives in Eden Gate just outside Greystones and I am planning on moving up myself from June. I'm a mature student just finishing off my medical studies in Galway. I am in the process of applying to various Dublin hospitals for my intern year and am looking for some advice re travel times to work. My jobs could be starting anywhere from 7:30 to 9am depending on the rotation. I really am not up to speed on the traffic/travel situation up there other than getting caught myself a few times driving to Galway on a Monday morning in Kilmacanogue/Bray on the N11 if I don't leave on time.

Few questions:
    1. Is St. Vincents or Tallaght Hospital easier to get to that time of the morning? I have the option of using the Dart too for Vincents but would have to drive/cycle in from Eden Gate.
    2. Would it be more of a headache commuting to Beaumont via car, or city centre (Mater/James's) via public transport from Eden Gate if I had to? (I realise that both could be a nightmare!)
    3. How would Naas hospital be in terms of travel times compared with No. 2?

We might end up going to closer to Dublin to live but want to give the Greystones area a good go as we really like it the there and my partner is working in Newtownmountkennedy so it's handy for her.

Cheers for any tips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It depends on the time your travelling. Going anywhere towards the city after 7 am is a pain in the ass. Public transport is mediocre at best so assuming your using the car.....

Vincent's would be 30 mins off peak. Could be anywhere up to an hour during rush hour.

Tallaght is handy to get to and again about 30 mins with no traffic.

Naas is about an hour away off peak but if you have to face Newlands cross during rush hour you can double that easy.

Good luck whatever you decide. It's a great spot to live as long as you don't have to commute by public transport every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Are you limited to the hospitals that you mention? There are a few more hospitals nearer, St. Michael's in Dun Laoghaire which is part of St. Vincent's University Hospital now. Then there is Loughlinstown,St Colmcille's which is a stones throw away from Newtown but that is the slowest/busiest part of the journey in the mornings after 7am. Can you apply to the private hospitals? The Beacon in Sandyford and Blackrock Clinic.
    For Beaumont you will travel the length of the M50 and veer off just before the airport, that would require an early start too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cascais

Thanks for getting back. Appreciate some local knowledge!

I have to do at least 9 months of the 12 in the bigger hospital. I can do Vincents (9 months) with Columcilles/Michaels (3 months) (possibly the best option). I can do Tallaght (9) with Naas (3). I can do Beaumont (9) with Cappagh (3) etc.

The reason I'm asking about Tallaght/Naas and Beaumont/Cappagh is they both have a particular job that I might prefer if I got it but would the commute be considerably worse than the Vincents/Columcilles combination? Not sure it would be worth it if so!

I would be trying to get to work generally by 8am but sometimes 9am which would a real pain from what I gather. The earlier I start the better I guess.

Am I right in thinking that Vincents and Tallaght would be a similar journey time for an 8am start and Vincents would be worse than Tallaght for a 9am start due to the N11 lights etc being worse than the M50.

Can't do the private hospitals!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The problem with traffic in the mornings is after 7.30 am the roads from Kilpeddar to Town will be a slow steady crawl, Once you get to the M50 it will speed up a bit so your Tallaght trip will be easier than St. Vincent's as the N11 will be slow all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

84x goes from Eden Wood doesn't it? You could get off opposite RTE, then half a mile or so walk to St. Vincents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sinkadinka

Hi there, if it helps I am travelling into the Rock Road (merrion road) about 5 mins before vincents, I leave killincarrig @ 6.50am and I am normally in my office by 7.30. However I take a sneaky short cut at the stillorgan cross roads that brings me out into booterstown town avenue which avoids the best part of stillorgan dual carrigway. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

As a daily commuter on the M11/M50 I reckon the Vincent's /Colmbcille option your best bet.

All around Tallaght is going to be a NIGHTMARE for next two years with the New lands Cross upgrade works. See it everyday as I pass and you regularly have tailbacks for 30-40 mins !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its 40 minutes into Sydney Parade by Dart, and a 5 minute walk to Vincents from there. There's a Dart every half hour & contrary to what some have said above, its fairly reliable and you'll get a seat in the morning (might have to stand some of the way back in the evening).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cascais

Thanks for all the replies.

I think there are good points and bad points to both the Tallaght and Vincents options from what I can see.

@markest I hadn't realised that the 84X goes to RTE so that's good to know. Had only thought of the Dart to Sydney Parade.

@sinkadinka I would probably be going for either 730 or 8am so it's good to hear that I could probably make it for 730 leaving at 650. That's doable. 8am onwards might be different kettle of fish...

@Wicklow Will Yeah I forgot about the new Newland's Cross works. That adds an extra headache, especially if I have to go to Naas for 3 months.

@loyatemu Getting a seat would be good alright. I used to live in Malahide and you always got a seat as well because it was the first stop. Made it more palatable!

Thanks again. Looks like there is not too much in it. I will probably go for Vincents/Columcilles option but will sleep on it for a day or two. Of course I have to pass my exams first and get accepted. I will probably end up being happy to be accepted just anywhere!

Advertisement