Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tippy toes

Options
  • 01-03-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hey I was lookin for a general consensus. ..my daughter will be two in april and only started walking on her own on jan 20th. She took a few days to get confidence but she got there a was cautious but sturdy..

Now in the last week ive noticed both in or out of shoes she is starting to walk on tippy toes. Not all the time but a good bit. Which is making her unsteady and more prone to falling over..

Now himself is saying she has prob just realised she can do it.. and is also prob trying to walk faster...

Should I get her checked or does this sound normal to other parents?

Ive checked her feet.. no cuts or anything. . Nail are not too long..
    Am I just over analysing ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's not something to be worried about straight away but I'd try to correct her when she does it because it can shorten the tendons at the back of the foot over time and make it painful for her to walk on her flat feet then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Agree with January. Just see over the next couple weeks if she corrects it. If her gait doesn't correct I would consult a physiotherapist. There is probably one in your local health centre. You can get details from your PHN.

Just out of interest... Did she ever use a walker? physios and PHNs advise against the use of walkers for this very reason... It can cause babies to take steps on their toes as opposed to their full foot on the ground. Can also make them walk prematurely before their little legs and muscles are strong enough. (Having said that I had a walker and put my fella in it the odd time). Think it's more prolonged and frequent use they would be referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

No never put her in one. We didnt have the space and I was told it would encourage tippy toes.. looks like it can happen anyway :)

I wonder would it be not enough support in shoes. She still in pre walkers. The shoe shop said to give her 8 to ten weeks after starting walking before proper shoes. Im going back to them wednesday to get proper shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

They don't need proper shoes for a good while even after starting to walk properly. It's actually better for them to walk around barefoot, so I would let her do that at home. It's probably just a phase but it can be a sign of development hip dysplasia so I would get her checked out if it doesn't go away after a while. Try correcting her like January suggests and see how that goes.

Yep bare foot is always recommended over shoes and socks where possible (and if its not too cold). Let her get used to walking bare foot first and then get some proper shoes in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for all the advice..

Just to confirm yes she only wears shoes if we are going to the shops playground or outside playing etc etc...never in the house as she takes them off as soon as she sits. Even as a baby she was impossible to keep socks on..
    She is like her mum and much prefers socks with grips or bare feet :)

Ive worked out shes 6ish weeks walking... so should I hold off on shoes for a while longer? I dont want to do the poor child damage but at the same time dont wanna keep her locked up inside cuz she has no shoes :)

Just to confirm yes she only wears shoes if we are going to the shops playground or outside playing etc etc...never in the house as she takes them off as soon as she sits. Even as a baby she was impossible to keep socks on..

Ive worked out shes 6ish weeks walking... so should I hold off on shoes for a while longer? I dont want to do the poor child damage but at the same time dont wanna keep her locked up inside cuz she has no shoes :)

We put our fella in proper shoes when he was walking by himself only a few weeks. Never had him in the crusers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

My ds used to be a toe walker. The phn picked up on this and scared the hell out of me, telling me it could be this and that. Any way after bringing him to physio, she said he was absolutely fine, but said if we wanted to try putting him in ankle boots for an hour or so a day. I think I done it a few times, but to be honest I think he just went up on his toes to get extra height and just got into habit. He doesn't do it any more, he's 3 years and 4 months, probably stopped doing it about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Oh I'd put her in the proper shoes, as you say she'll pull them off at home anyway. She has to get used to proper shoes at some point, I just wouldn't have them on her constantly but sounds like you don't anyway. Keep on doing it the way you are I reckon.

Thanks everyone..

Need to grow a pair and learn to go with my gut. Especially with number two on the way :)

Will get proper shoes and give her a few weeks to adjust.. if shes still at it will get it checked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

We waited about 8weeks before we got our little boy shoes as we were waiting on a physio appointment. The physio told us that 6weeks is long enough to wait to get their first shoes.

Advertisement