Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice- LC

Options
  • 01-03-2014 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

I've almost decided for certain on my LC subject choices of Biology, Chemistry, Accounting and Economics (outside school), I'm doing pass French and Irish as languages aren't my thing and honours everything else.

I'm just wondering what peoples experiences of my subject choices are like; Economics and Accounting in particular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yayakolo

im in 6th year doing higher level economics. find it very boring but extremely easy at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

I'm looking for an A1 in it, recommend it? I only will have it twice a week btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Doing both sciences mentioned above. Not too difficult if you keep on top of them and study well for class tests. Chemistry would be easier to get an A1 in as the questions tend to repeat.

Yeah, there's one or two dreadful teachers in my school so here goes to hoping I don't have them!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I'm currently in 6th year. I find biology incredibly easy, I don't study it much and haven't gotten below an A1 so far. Chemistry is definitely harder, at least in my opinion. I average B's, and want a B1 in the leaving. Saying that, I don't put a huge effort into it either!
    Both subjects are diverse and interesting,and if you wish to pursue a career in science I'd recommend doing chemistry. Lots of people have to repeat 1st year in Uni as they can't follow the course, but those who do it to the leaving seem to cope better.
    Hope it helps :)

• Advertisement

I'm currently in 6th year. I find biology incredibly easy, I don't study it much and haven't gotten below an A1 so far. Chemistry is definitely harder, at least in my opinion. I average B's, and want a B1 in the leaving. Saying that, I don't put a huge effort into it either!
    Both subjects are diverse and interesting,and if you wish to pursue a career in science I'd recommend doing chemistry. Lots of people have to repeat 1st year in Uni as they can't follow the course, but those who do it to the leaving seem to cope better.

xLisaBx wrote: »

Yeah I'm hoping for something Science related in Uni not sure what yet though. Thanks for your help appreciate it. Slightly mind boggled at the minute with the subject choices due in for Monday!

Yeah I'm hoping for something Science related in Uni not sure what yet though. Thanks for your help appreciate it. Slightly mind boggled at the minute with the subject choices due in for Monday!
    Glad to help. Dont worry about it, I know it can be mind boggling and stressful but it's not the end of the world :) focus on your strengths and forget your weaknesses. It will all work out

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Would agree with the poster above re chemistry in uni. I was at the open day in DCU last year and the sci students all agreed that chemistry was the most challenging area.

d1234 wrote: »
    Would agree with the poster above re chemistry in uni. I was at the open day in DCU last year and the sci students all agreed that chemistry was the most challenging area.

I need two sciences and I haven't either considered Physics as I find it incredibly boring even though I'm good at it. So Chem and Bio are the two sciences I'll pick for sure! I was considering Applied Maths instead of Accounting also...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Hey, I'm in 6th year and I do accounting.
    I wasn't planning on doing it but I'm so so glad I did because it turned out to be my favorite subject, I know some people find it hard but in my opinion once you put a reasonable amount of work in its an easy A1. The paper is very predictable and the exam questions are very repetitive. Once you enjoyed the accounting aspect of Junior Cert business you should be fine. One thing I will say is that you will probably find it quite hard in the beginning, but the more you do the easier you will find it. Right now we are revising (the course is quite short so we are finished) and I'm realizing that some of the topics that I found difficult in 5th year are actually quite easy.
    The key to accounting is practice, using past papers and marking schemes is the best way to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Oh, and I do physics, definitely wouldn't recommend it. Its very boring and difficult

Advertisement