Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving job to sart up own company.

Options
  • 01-03-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Can anyone give me advice on what I am entitled to if I leave my job to start up a company? I know the government sites and offices have all the info, I'm just trying to get advice from anyone who has done it before to make my transition a little easier.
    ANY help will be greatly appreciated guys.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Its going to depend on your personal circumstances you are better going in and having a chat with them to see what you are entitled to if you do make the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 AlfaR147

Gonna do that anyway. I was just trying to get the jump on any potholes I might encounter. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

You are not entitled to anything, though you may qualify for some discretionary grants. You may be able to apply for BTWEA once your unemployed status has been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

There is supplementary welfare allowance which you might be able to get if your income is low at the start.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Supplementary-Welfare-Allowance.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Why are you leaving your job? How do you know your business is going to work?

Dbran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Are you leaving on your own accord or made redundant?

You're pretty much on your own, a lot of social welfare schemes are for people already on the dole so you should sign on. Depending on what you are going to do, you should g in with your local enterprise board, do one of their Start Your Own Business courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

dbran wrote: »

Dbran

Those are pretty stupid questions to ask.
    1. He's leaving his job to START A BUSINESS. It says it in the original post.
    2. OP has most likely done his/her analysis to see if the business is a viable one (I would presume).

It's crazy, OP just asked about what he's entitled when starting a business and instead of helping him/her out by giving him/her an answer people have to ask why is he leaving your job and how does he know his business idea is going to work...

Leaving a job to start a business can be pretty scary thing to do so why question him/her the about it?

On the second question, you NEVER know. You can do all the research and everything might look sweet on paper but the business doesn't take off the ground in real life.

Also, craziest business ideas have worked (look up Irish Dirt).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

but43r wrote: »
    Those are pretty stupid questions to ask.
    1. He's leaving his job to START A BUSINESS. It says it in the original post.
    2. OP has most likely done his/her analysis to see if the business is a viable one (I would presume).

It's crazy, OP just asked about what he's entitled when starting a business and instead of helping him/her out by giving him/her an answer people have to ask why is he leaving your job and how does he know his business idea is going to work...

Leaving a job to start a business can be pretty scary thing to do so why question him/her the about it?

On the second question, you NEVER know. You can do all the research and everything might look sweet on paper but the business doesn't take off the ground in real life.

Also, craziest business ideas have worked

That probably is the most stupid reply on this thread.

dbran asked the question because on any list it is question no.1 and on its response any advice will be predicated. It is clear from the initial post that the OP is vague about what s/he is eligible to obtain, so it is highly likely that the ‘business plan’ is not much better.

It should be obvious to anyone that a visit to the boss to say ‘I’m leaving to start my own business’ is a serious meeting and usually s/he would be told to wait a minute and then find the HR person arrive with a P45 and the contents of his/her desk in a black plastic bag. I've done that, because at best it is a very clear message to me that the employee has no real interest in the daily job and is a waste of space and should be got rid of, soonest, before s/he does any damage.

The next questions - is s/he a willing/forced leaver? Is the employer doing well/badly? Is there a possibility of working out a redundancy package? Is there a possibility of doing some sub-contract work for the employer? What are the contractual factors with his/her existing employment? Is there a non-compete clause? For how long? Is it geographic?
    Those questions, but43r, because if you want to start using words like ‘scary’ you should learn about words like ‘injunctive proceedings’ that follow when the correct questions are not asked and the warm feeling the OP will get in the seat of his/her pants when a writ arrives, the costs of responding to which will clear out most of any start-up capital. That's why the better posters here ask questions and do not rush in with ...........

Hi but43r

I do not believe I was being in any way patronising to the OP at all.

Leaving your job to is a huge step and even if it is an amiable arrangement with the boss, it is fair to say that you will never have the same "status" as you had before. And you may even find as pedroeibar1 said, that you are given your marching orders immediately.

So it is important that the OP has thought through everything before hand. It is not evident from his post whether he has or not and it would be rather remiss of me to not ask the question before he makes a potentially irreversable decision.

Kind Regards

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

dbran asked the question because on any list it is question no.1 and on its response any advice will be predicated. It is clear from the initial post that the OP is vague about what s/he is eligible to obtain, so it is highly likely that the ‘business plan’ is not much better.

It should be obvious to anyone that a visit to the boss to say ‘I’m leaving to start my own business’ is a serious meeting and usually s/he would be told to wait a minute and then find the HR person arrive with a P45 and the contents of his/her desk in a black plastic bag. I've done that, because at best it is a very clear message to me that the employee has no real interest in the daily job and is a waste of space and should be got rid of, soonest, before s/he does any damage.

The next questions - is s/he a willing/forced leaver? Is the employer doing well/badly? Is there a possibility of working out a redundancy package? Is there a possibility of doing some sub-contract work for the employer? What are the contractual factors with his/her existing employment? Is there a non-compete clause? For how long? Is it geographic?
    Those questions, but43r, because if you want to start using words like ‘scary’ you should learn about words like ‘injunctive proceedings’ that follow when the correct questions are not asked and the warm feeling the OP will get in the seat of his/her pants when a writ arrives, the costs of responding to which will clear out most of any start-up capital. That's why the better posters here ask questions and do not rush in with ...........

That's a proper way to ask that question rather than just "Why are you leaving you job?" :)

• Advertisement

I think OP is big enough to decide for himself how he likes questions to be asked.

dbran wrote: »

Dbran

I dont mean to offend,but I asked for advice, not comments I'm not prepared to comment on here.

I asked a simple question, not neccesarily about myself, any details I have not given are not given by choice! I didnt ask what an employer should do with an employee who approached them with the statement 'Im leaving to start a business'. I simply asked for any advice from people who may have done this already. Relax people, an online forum is not a place to go into too much detail.
    Thanks anyway for the time and effort you all put in, but sometimes a simple question means your looking for a simple answer.

Hi

I'm going to close this thread now because it is going in a direction that is not helpful.

There was no offence intended and no offence taken and I wish you all the best in you new business.

Regards

Dbran

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement