Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling Rose wiring advise please

Options
  • 01-03-2014 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Ceiling light in bedroom was working properly but bayonet fitting was damaged and I decided to replace the entire light fitting.

On opening old rose I discovered it only had 3 wires, all black sleeved with grey.
    I have checked these with multimeter and know which is live, negative and switched live.

new rose has standard 3 copper connectors + 3 copper connectors + 2 copper connectors config.

I checked another room to be certain and the light there has switch live and live feed connected into one connector along with live cable to bulb - so 3 connections in same block.

If I connect up new rose in this config I have switch working in reverse ( off is now on) and landing lights on dimly.

Anyone any advise ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

On opening old rose I discovered it only had 3 wires, all black sleeved with grey.

Anyone any advise ?

I would believe that of the 3 wires you have two of them are neutrals and the other one is the switch live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

WikiHow wrote: »
    I would believe that of the 3 wires you have two of them are neutrals and the other one is the switch live.

Thanks a million for quick reply !

a phase tester lights on the one I believe to be live and the voltmeter reads 244 or so off it ? Does this not mean its a live feed?

Thanks a million for quick reply !

a phase tester lights on the one I believe to be live and the voltmeter reads 244 or so off it ? Does this not mean its a live feed?

You are getting that reading from a neutral, find your switch wire and put that with the live on the fitting and the other two in the neutral along with the blue wire on the fitting.

Thanks, you were right.

Everything is working now except light switch polarity is reversed?

Very grateful for your help - I've been at this since 3pm yesterday and you solved it.

Everything is working now except light switch polarity is reversed?

How do you mean reversed?

• Advertisement

When the switch is in off position the light is on, when switched on, the light goes off. I did not change anything on switch. This isn't a problem as long as its safe btw.

Oh ok, the switch was always that way i imagine?
    A simple fix would be to screw the switch off the wall and turn it around.

Thanks
    will swap it over but it wasn't like that before. At a loss to know why it is now but that is not a problem. Again, many thanks you have been a great help

Is that light being 2 way switched i.e from two locations?

Single Switch, but now I think I know what happened :o
    In the beginning I did unscrew switch from wall to see if I could pull cables and identify which was the switching live - I'm betting it got turned upside down. I've turned it over now.
    Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement