Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suarez, Aguero or RVP

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Which one do you think is better ?
    Who do you prefer watching play ?

Don't judge this by the top scorer or top assists.
    I am talking about overall.
    I see loads of people talking here about Suarez performance this season, and this season only.
    I am talking about the best out of them 3 overall.
    I go for Aguero.
    In fairness Aguero missed around 5 or more games then Suarez.
    If anyone can remember, when Aguero came back in January after an injury he was subbed on and 10 seconds in the game he scored !!.

Suarez is the most effective player this season, RVP in previous seasons. Without a doubt the player I enjoy watching most (Pool bias aside) is Suarez, his all action style and dribbling technique is pure showbiz.

I take it you dont like the poll result? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Hopefully we'll have Sergio back for the game tomorrow. On his very best form, I wouldn't swap him for either of the other two. And yes; I'm sure Liverpool fans would say exactly the same for Suarez.

Wouldn't mind having Suarez alongside Sergio though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Clearly Suarez. I'm a huge fan of both Aguero and RVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Suarez for me even though Id rate aguero and rvp as better finishers. RVP's goalscoring record this year is great considering the service he is getting and I think rvp relies on service more than the other two, who are more capable of making chances for themselves.
    This suarez doesnt do it in the big games is a bit of a joke aswell. Take the City and arsenal games he didnt score but was clearly the best player on the pitch in the arsenal game and was excellent against City.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Any team would be happy to have any of those players. When fit/not suspended they are the main source of goal threat from their respective teams. People can argue about things and go around in circles, but I for one am glad that Suarez plays for Liverpool and wouldn't swap him, in the same way that City fans wouldn't swap Aguero, and Utd fans wouldn't swap van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

5starpool wrote: »
    Any team would be happy to have any of those players. When fit/not suspended they are the main source of goal threat from their respective teams. People can argue about things and go around in circles, but I for one am glad that Suarez plays for Liverpool and wouldn't swap him, in the same way that City fans wouldn't swap Aguero, and Utd fans wouldn't swap van Persie.

I would swap RVP for either of the other 2 but that's purely an age thing. Before they moved to the teams they did, Aguero and Suarez were 2 of my favourite players. Only Aguero has remained likable so would go for him from personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

compare Van Persie's goal drought last season to Suarez's this season
    & u will see that Suarez offers more to a team when he isnt scoring
    Suarez is the best player in the league imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Suarez. It's patently obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

markesmith wrote: »

If it was "patently obvious", this discussion wouldn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Bit of change from this huh?
    No doubt he's a great player, but the biting is just another incident. Too high-maintenance and not fit to wear the Liverpool shirt with that behaviour

If it's 'patently obvious' now surely it'd be the same less than a year ago no??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Hmmm... a poll including a liverpool player in a forum that is 75% liverpool fans. I hope bias doesnt come into this.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Hmmm... a poll including a liverpool player in a forum that is 75% liverpool fans. I hope bias doesnt come into this.

Anyone with a head of sense and watches the PL on a regular basis won't subscribe to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Liam O wrote: »
    RvP fired his team to the league last season. Fired his team to 4th the 2 seasons before. Suarez is doing that for the first time this season. But yeah, go on.

Not the first time, he fired his team to within a point of the title in 09/10 scoring 49 times in 48 games that season. I watched every single one of them and he was out of this world. Had a decent enough World Cup too that year with his nation making the semi final.

Though it's not the EPL so it's completely disregarded I guess. He only started playing soccer at Liverpool right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Always remember one commentator speaking on Heskey "He can trap the ball further than most people can kick it"
    Anyway the answer is Suarez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Anyone with a head of sense and watches the PL on a regular basis won't subscribe to that.

There's a lot of people here that don't have a head of sense though.
    It's not a public poll.
    You could swap out Suarez for Sturridge and he would probably lead it by a distance too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Suarez in the big games against big teams:

Scored one at home to Chelsea last season.

Scored one away to Chelsea last season.

Scored one at home to City last season.

Scored one away to Arsenal last season (and the season before).

The season before last he also scored at Old Trafford (the comeback from the Evra incident).

Scored two against Spurs at WHL this season.

Scored at Goodison this season.

Thats all off the top of my head stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Suarez for me and by a distance, technically they are all pretty equal ,but Luis is a born winner,and has more fight in his belly than anybody else playing in the league.

Suarez for me and by a distance, technically they are all pretty equal ,but Luis is a born winner,and has more fight in his belly than anybody else playing in the league.

This doesn't make any sense. How is Luis Suarez any more of a "born winner" than the man who won his team the Premier League with effectively the last kick of a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

8-10 wrote: »
    Not the first time, he fired his team to within a point of the title in 09/10 scoring 49 times in 48 games that season. I watched every single one of them and he was out of this world. Had a decent enough World Cup too that year with his nation making the semi final.

Though it's not the EPL so it's completely disregarded I guess. He only started playing soccer at Liverpool right?

No but it was Holland and given his first year and a half in the PL which was by no means shabby, it was proved significantly more difficult to do it in the PL. His performances probably deserved more in that period but given most Liverpool fans don't believe in luck suddenly I'm sure they won't subscribe to that theory.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    No but it was Holland and given his first year and a half in the PL which was by no means shabby, it was proved significantly more difficult to do it in the PL. His performances probably deserved more in that period but given most Liverpool fans don't believe in luck suddenly I'm sure they won't subscribe to that theory.

I fully agree that he didn't do it in his first year and a half, I'm just disputing the notion that this year is his first year that he's been firing his team up the table. He absolutely carried that team in 09/10 and would have won the league if not for the bizarre Sparta Rotterdam game (now that was luck!)

Only player I've seen carry a team so much in a season since is RVP. If this poll was this time last year or the year before there's no contest. Right now I think it's close but Suarez shades it on current form. Thing about RVP is he probably doesn't have as many years left as Luis does, unless he starts seriously outperforming him soon, it will be hard for him to push out as the outright better player.

The way he can do it is by dragging that Netherlands team to another WC Final. He's got a massive chance as a leader in that team to score the goals and put in the performances that will tip the balance in his favour from Suarez. I would absolutely love him to be lifting the World Cup this year, as a Dutch fan. I just think Luis is shading it right now and has more peak years on his side.

I fully agree that he didn't do it in his first year and a half, I'm just disputing the notion that this year is his first year that he's been firing his team up the table. He absolutely carried that team in 09/10 and would have won the league if not for the bizarre Sparta Rotterdam game (now that was luck!)

Only player I've seen carry a team so much in a season since is RVP. If this poll was this time last year or the year before there's no contest. Right now I think it's close but Suarez shades it on current form. Thing about RVP is he probably doesn't have as many years left as Luis does, unless he starts seriously outperforming him soon, it will be hard for him to push out as the outright better player.

The way he can do it is by dragging that Netherlands team to another WC Final. He's got a massive chance as a leader in that team to score the goals and put in the performances that will tip the balance in his favour from Suarez. I would absolutely love him to be lifting the World Cup this year, as a Dutch fan. I just think Luis is shading it right now and has more peak years on his side.

See you say that but...
    It didn't quite work out that way last season.

The joys of private polls...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056893547

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

For me personally i think there is very little between Aguero and Suarez, but i would go marginally Suarez, simply because of the fact he is involved in literally everything good liverpool do in the final 3rd. Ive never seen a player to be involved in so much of the games like Suarez is even when he's not scoring you cant take your eyes off him, whereas Aguero whilst being world clas doesnt have the same level of influence with City, possibly because he's playing in a better team. I also think Suarez has an unparalleled level of desire and ruthlessness , Liverpool were 5-1 up against Arsenal in like the 87th minute, and Sterling (or sturridge) took a shot when he should have passed, and Suarez was going absolutely mental, it was like they were losing one nill. If i was a defender, id hate to play against both, but if i was playing against Suarez id be more afraid he could make me look like an arrse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

With all 3 at their peak of fitness and form RVP was the best of them. Top striker in the world at his best. Injuries, advancing age and playing in a struggling United team have lead to us not seeing the best of him lately.

Right now Suarez is the leading POTY contender. Not a big fan of the guy but credit where it's due he has done really well to come back from all the problems he had and produce performances this season that have probably surpassed what anyone was expecting. He has been the standout player for me and a huge bonus if you're a Liverpool fan has been the form of the previously unheralded Sturridge beside him.

See you say that but...
    It didn't quite work out that way last season.

The joys of private polls...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056893547

Wow ok fair enough I hadn't seen that or voted in it. Would have to have been RVP for me. But this year my vote goes for Suarez unless RVP pulls something amazing out of the bag (for me though I can't see him overtaking him unless he wins the World Cup or at least drags the team to a good finish)

So I'm not conceding it to Luis yet, but I think he's ahead as it stands. If people disagree that's fine.

Wow ok fair enough I hadn't seen that or voted in it. Would have to have been RVP for me. But this year my vote goes for Suarez unless RVP pulls something amazing out of the bag (for me though I can't see him overtaking him unless he wins the World Cup or at least drags the team to a good finish)

So I'm not conceding it to Luis yet, but I think he's ahead as it stands. If people disagree that's fine.

That's fair enough, just pointing out the way polls work around here, especially if they're private.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This board used to have a lot of Liverpool fans, the most posts anyway.

I'd say that might have changed a lot in the last couple of years. Far more posts in the United threads this year as an example. A poll would be interesting to get a rough idea how much fanbases have changed, if any.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    This board used to have a lot of Liverpool fans, the most posts anyway.

I'd say that might have changed a lot in the last couple of years. Far more posts in the United threads this year as an example. A poll would be interesting to get a rough idea how much fanbases have changed, if any.
    And the reason for that is...

And the reason for that is...

The same reason the Liverpool threads had more posts previously, more to argue and have melt downs about, Rafa, Kenny, Hodgson and Rodgers debates!

Would be interesting to take the last 2 closed superthreads and see which has more posters that support the team.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    The same reason the Liverpool threads had more posts previously, more to argue and have melt downs about, Rafa, Kenny, Hodgson and Rodgers debates!

Would be interesting to take the last 2 closed superthreads and see which has more posters that support the team.

Yeah and the fact that it's made up of as almost as many Liverpool fans as United fans these days :pac:

Yeah and the fact that it's made up of as almost as many Liverpool fans as United fans these days :pac:

What does that remind you of? :pac:

Nah, I prefer my more rational reason! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

aidan24326 wrote: »
    With all 3 at their peak of fitness and form RVP was the best of them. Top striker in the world at his best. Injuries, advancing age and playing in a struggling United team have lead to us not seeing the best of him lately.

Right now Suarez is the leading POTY contender. Not a big fan of the guy but credit where it's due he has done really well to come back from all the problems he had and produce performances this season that have probably surpassed what anyone was expecting. He has been the standout player for me and a huge bonus if you're a Liverpool fan has been the form of the previously unheralded Sturridge beside him.

well to be fair you could argue that suarez is only at his peak (form) this season. so the question would be is suarez this year better than RVP of last year?

Paulegend wrote: »
    well to be fair you could argue that suarez is only at his peak (form) this season. so the question would be is suarez this year better than RVP of last year?

That's a tough call I reckon. I'd prefer the full season to be played out before comparing. Suarez has scored more league goals based on the amount of games played at this point in the season but RVP had CL and FA Cup goals.

I think it's far too close for a fan of Liverpool or United to call really, I can't see anything obvious except bias to warrant picking one over the other, there's an argument for either to be fair.

That's a tough call I reckon. I'd prefer the full season to be played out before comparing. Suarez has scored more league goals based on the amount of games played at this point in the season but RVP had CL and FA Cup goals.

I think it's far too close for a fan of Liverpool or United to call really, I can't see anything obvious except bias to warrant picking one over the other, there's an argument for either to be fair.

yea i always think these things cant really be judged. as you said too much bias is involved for a clear view to ever be given

it doesnt matter if its us debating it or if its carra and nevell. at the end of the day everyone is going to have a partial view

i think the only fair thing to say is that both sets of fans would be behind their guy every time and that speaks volumes about the players. they are top quality players on the field. off the field (or not involving football anyway) they may have their hatters but as pure footballers they are class and id love to see a super team with both men in it

Van Persie was actually better in his last season at Arsenal, take that as his best ;)

Van Persie was actually better in his last season at Arsenal, take that as his best ;)

ok so same question then

rvp his last season at arsenal or suarez this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

ok so same question then

rvp his last season at arsenal or suarez this season?

RVP last season at Arsenal fired them to 4th
    Following year they finished 4th

I doubt anybody is under any illusions of where a Suarez free Liverpool would be (fighting it out with united for 7th )

So Suarez this season for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Suarez for me but if i was a club manager Ageuro. Suarez temper gets the better of him too often and i think he would on an average season miss more games.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

LeBash wrote: »
    Suarez for me but if i was a club manager Ageuro. Suarez temper gets the better of him too often and i think he would on an average season miss more games.

Misses far more through suspension, yes, but over last 3 years Suarez has probably been available for a larger % of games than Aguero. He hasn't missed a single game for Liverpool through injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

LeBash wrote: »

That can be countered with Aguero's injury record.

Suarez has a significantly cleaner history with regards injuries. I'd wager that in their time in the Premier League, Aguero has missed more games due to injury than Suarez has from suspension.

Edit: 5star beat me to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Aguero is absolute class, deadly finisher and frightening pace but Suarez for me is the better player and has proved that the last 2 seasons. His trickery and game intelligence is unrivalled imo. Suarez is the ultimate team player, he will play wherever he is asked and always is looking for a team mate if there is a good chance on.

One thing to remember is Suarez is 27 and Aguero is 25, Suarez is hitting his peak now (or is he?), Aguero could well be the better player in time. A point that cant be ignored is Aguero plays with absolute superstars for club and country, Suarez doesn't so much have that luxury. I would like to see Aguero carry a squad with the distinct lack of quality like Liverpool and see how he does.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Aguero is absolute class, deadly finisher and frightening pace but Suarez for me is the better player and has proved that the last 2 seasons. His trickery and game intelligence is unrivalled imo. Suarez is the ultimate team player, he will play wherever he is asked and always is looking for a team mate if there is a good chance on.

One thing to remember is Suarez is 27 and Aguero is 25, Suarez is hitting his peak now (or is he?), Aguero could well be the better player in time. A point that cant be ignored is Aguero plays with absolute superstars for club and country, Suarez doesn't so much have that luxury. I would like to see Aguero carry a squad with the distinct lack of quality like Liverpool and see how he does.

Suarez hasn't carried Liverpool to where they are now. They're a much improved side, playing a style more appropriate to the personnel. Why didn't he carry them to 4th or higher last season?

That argument grinds my gears a bit. Who's to say Aguero wouldn't have done better in that Liverpool side? Or Suarez wouldn't be near as effective at City?

Aguero and Suarez are very similar in terms of how they bring others into the game and create chances as well as take them.

In ability and importance to their team, I'd have them level.

For me, that leaves raw stats as the bar here. Suarez leads on goals and assists this year, both overall and per games played.

So for me, Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Has to be Suarez :(

I now have to burn off my fingerprints for typing such a thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Suarez is top scorer and top assistor in the league. Its a non contest

Advertisement