Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Dry Food- 0 carb?

• 01-03-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭

LF:
    A dry food that is high protein/just protein.

I have a ferret with insulinoma. Its the opposite of diabetes, she can't have any carbs/grains at all, but she won't eat bones, so I need something to keep her teeth healthy.
    She would only be fed 1 meal a day of the dry, so other minerals/vitamins arent important.
    She's used to cat food and I'm not having any luck switching her to B.A.R.F(bones and raw..) atm, she'll only eat if it's blended. ><'

So I'm wondering what brand out there has the highest protein content? :confused:
    If theres a dog food that happens to have highest/cheapest. That would be fine too as balance of vits/minerals isnt important, as it's only to add some crunch for her teeth.

Cheaper the better, and advice on where to buy would be great too!
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

There are 80 % protein dry cat foods like Porta 21 and Orijen and Arcana - all available on Zooplus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

What Morgana says is true. However, having kept quite a few ferrets in the past, I've never found dry food actually does any good for teeth, any more than it does for dogs or cats. I found towards the end with all of them, that lumps of raw meat really did the most good, and even blended is better than dry.

You say she won't eat bones, but have you tried with just blending those parts, and feeding other meat just chopped into reasonable-sized chunks? I found I could get mine to eat pork or steak chopped up like that quite easily, and since I (sadly) no longer have ferrets, have found that cats go partcularly nuts for duck hearts, each one cut in 3 pieces for them. I'm pretty sure my ferrets would have been equally enthusiastic about them, had I known at the time, and the kind of jaws they both have benefit a lot from chewing on these sorts of pieces, much more than from dry food.

I pay €1.25/kilo for the duck hearts, which I think trumps any good quality formulated petfood, and would highly recommend giving that a try. I know ferrets can be awful stubborn about food, but would recommend mixing some pieces like that into the blended mix you are giving them right now, as they can often be fooled to try things they think they won't consider that way. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

thanks!

I try, the biggest issue is she cant go without food,.she'll probably know she'll get what she wants. (meat blended into a soup of sorts... she wont touch anything with 'tougher' bits..though has no trouble with cat food-which she cant have .. :rolleyes: ..)

Guess I just have to try brushing them ><'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Applaws is 80% protein, I think Taste of the Wild is a simillar percentage of protein too. Zooplus UK is where we get a lot of our stuff as it's cheaper than the Irish site. They also do trial size bags so you don't get stuck with lots of food they won't eat. We used to get the chicken Applaws, for some reason our cats won't eat the chicken and salmon combo one, I know a lot of cats won't eat the mixed one either for some reason.

Advertisement