Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a router

Options
  • 01-03-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Ok I'm aware this post runs the risk of making me sound completely incompetent but I'm the first to admit I'm not that IT savvy.
    We recently switched from dongle internet to a wireless dongle so everyone in the house can use the internet and not have to fight over the dongle.
    However since we switched over I can't connect to my printer anymore.
    It won't connect to me laptop directly and only wants to connect to the vodaphone wireless network.
    It asks me for the WPA passphrase which I have, but then tells me it's incorrect. (IT's 100% correct, I've rechecked)
    When I try to set up a new network from my pc to printer it asks me for a passphrase which doesn't exist.
    I'm at the end of my tether now - should I have a router to connect everything through it - I thought my internet connection would act as a router?
    I have this printer: HP Officejet7500A E910
    And this internet: http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/internet-and-broadband/mobile-broadband/device-details/vodafone-mobile-wifi-r206

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

What is your internet wifi device (make/model). It maybe firewalling all connecting systems from one another by default. Let us know what it is and we call look up how it works.

Is the printer connecting to the wifi device ok? I assume it is a wireless printer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Uninstall everything to do with the printer and then try a clean reinstall.

Or try this, it helps with connections.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&jumpid=ex_r4155/en/hho/ipg/Krnk/printer_diag/&softwareitem=mp-126353-1

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mona Olsen

BailMeOut wrote: »
    What is your internet wifi device (make/model). It maybe firewalling all connecting systems from one another by default. Let us know what it is and we call look up how it works.

Is the printer connecting to the wifi device ok? I assume it is a wireless printer?

No, the printer will not connect to the wifi - it tells me the WPA passphrase is incorrect, even thought it is. I've tried to reinstate the old connection directly to the laptop but it's asking me for the same passphrase again.
    I've posted a link above to the vodaphone wifi device I'm using.

Rolliepollie - already tried the hp doctor and have been going around in circles as it's the passphrase issue not allowing me to connect anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Mona i'm not been smarth, but you are putting in the right code in, caps if any?

I think you a need router, but you should get onto vodafone and query about the dongle.

No douth you may have read this.

Wireless Setup, includes Auto Wireless Connect technology that allows connecting the printer to the wireless network automatically without having to connect any cables or enter wireless network settings such as wireless password or id. All new HP printers will have this capability during the software installation process. In some cases computers or the network configurations are compatible with HP Auto Wireless Connect. In these cases, an alternate wireless setup method will be offered. To be compatible with HP Auto Wireless Connect, the following conditions must be met: Your computer uses Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.5 +. Your computer uses a wireless connection to your network and the operating system is in control of the wireless adapter so that the HP Software can retrieve the computer’s current network settings. Your computer is connected to your 802.11b/g/n wireless router over a 2.4 GHz connection.

NOTE: HP Printers are currently not compatible with 802.11n 5.0 GHz networks.Your computer does not use a static static IP address. Your printer is in HP Auto Wireless Connect mode. The printer will be in this mode for one hour after it is first powered on during installation before it is connected to a network. If your printer has been powered on for more than one hour and the software has not yet tried to connect the printer to your wireless network, you can reset this mode by using the Restore Network Defaults option from the printer control panel. Refer to your printer documentation for how to perform Restore Network Defaults. Other environmental and technical factors may also affect whether HP Auto Wireless Connect is offered.
    If HP Auto Wireless Connect is offered during the installation of your printer, it is the recommended setup method. Part of the setup process requires your computer to be temporarily disconnected from your wireless network. During this time you will not have Internet access. Be sure to save any online work and/or downloads before continuing with this setup method. To use this option, install the software for your printer and follow the onscreen instructions. When prompted, select the “Network (Ethernet/Wireless)” connection type and then choose “Yes, send my wireless settings to the printer (recommended)”. That’s it! The HP software will do the rest. If HP Auto Wireless Connect is not offered during the software installation or if it is not successful, you will be guided to use another wireless setup method.
    WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)
    WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) – WPS has two modes to connect devices together over a wireless connection. One is called “pushbutton” and the other is called “PIN”. Pushbutton is by far the easiest method. We will describe how to connect using the WPS pushbutton method, but not the PIN method.
    For instructions on starting WPS on your printer consult your printer’s manual. However there are some conditions that need to be met in order to use WPS pushbutton mode:
    Both your printer and wireless router must support WPS pushbutton mode. Consult your printer and wireless router manuals. The wireless router must have a physical WPS pushbutton available. Your network must use WPA or WPA2 security. Most WPS wireless routers will not connect using the WPS method if WEP or no security is used. Most WPS wireless routers will not connect using the WPS method if you are using the manufacturer’s default for the network name and no security.
    To connect your wireless printer to your wireless router using WPS. Start the WPS pushbutton mode on your printer. For instructions on starting WPS on your printer, consult your printer’s manual. Within 2 minutes, press the WPS button on your router.
    HP Printer Wireless Setup – The Wireless Setup Wizard
    The Wireless Setup Wizard, which you run from the printer’s control panel. Make sure you know your network name and your security password (WEP or WPA). On the printer’s control panel, press the Setup button and then select the Network menu. The Wireless Setup Wizard displays a list of wireless networks in the area. Note: The Setup button may appear as a wrench icon. There are differences between product models. Select your wireless network’s name from the list. If you don’t see your wireless network listed, you can enter your network name manually by scrolling to the bottom of the list. If you enter the name manually it must be exact, including upper and lower case characters. Enter your WEP key or WPA passphrase. You must enter the key or passphrase exactly, including upper and lower case characters. Your printer should connect to your wireless network. If it does not connect, you are given the opportunity to print a Wireless Network Test report that will help you find out what may be wrong.
    USB Setup of Wireless
    USB setup of wireless – Some HP wireless printers can use this wireless setup method during the printer software installation. During this process you’ll temporarily connect a USB cable between the computer and the printer. It’s important that you connect and disconnect the cable only when prompted by the software, which will guide you through connecting and configuring your printer’s wireless connection. In some cases the software may automatically find your wireless settings for you.To connect your wireless printer to your wireless router using USB setup of wireless, proceed to Installing Printer Software.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mona Olsen

lol yes I've checked myself a thousand times that I'm putting in the correct password :)
    Yeah my system is compatible - I think I'll just have to get onto vodaphone and then get a router - such a nuisance!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 myrscossie

Here this might help

· Resetting the device back to factory values
    · Remove the battery cover and locate the reset button
    · While the device is switched on, insert the end of a paper clip
    · into the reset button hole, press the button with the clip and
    hold down for approximately 5 seconds
    · Release the button

The device will now be reset to factory settings, including
    SSID, passwords and Wi-Fi security settings

User Guide