Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone done Computer Systems in UL and if so is it hard?

Options
  • 01-03-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Do you have to be really good at maths? and what type of maths do you mostly study? Would you advise it if you struggle at maths

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I do Computer Games Development which is very similar to Comp Sys (we share most modules for the first 2 years and have some common ones later too).

On the maths, it really does depend. A lot of people will tell you not to bother if you're not doing HL maths and getting C3's, but I did OL maths and haven't had any issues with the maths in the course whatsoever. Probability, vectors, graphs and logic would be the main areas that you'd need to be comfortable with. Really, it's doable stuff and as long as you get the minimum grade required (is it still a B2 in OL?) you'll be fine. Just make sure you go to your maths Tutorials, they're infinitely more helpful than lectures.

The course itself (and again just to reiterate I'm doing a related course, not the actual course) is fine if you work. If you slack off, it'll kick your arse. Simple. Programming was a major stumbling block for a lot of people in the beginning, it's a prime example of one of those things that you really need to work at, especially in the beginning, or you'll struggle. There's also tonnes of support available, so if you are struggling there is plenty of help there for you.

The workload can get pretty intense, you'll often have 3-4 fairly chunky projects on the go, but most courses have that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The course itself (and again just to reiterate I'm doing a related course, not the actual course) is fine if you work. If you slack off, it'll kick your arse. Simple. Programming was a major stumbling block for a lot of people in the beginning, it's a prime example of one of those things that you really need to work at, especially in the beginning, or you'll struggle. There's also tonnes of support available, so if you are struggling there is plenty of help there for you.

This sums it up fairly well. I'm 4th year CompSys at the moment. The maths are manageable, I think there's only 3 modules and two of them are first year ones so all you have to do is pass them!!

I have a job sorted already before I even finish my year, let alone get my results so it's a good sector at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Weeshie

I think this applies to any degree course you choose - of course you'll find it different in the first few weeks/months - there's so much new stuff to get to grips with. But be mature about it and if you find things getting on top of you, ask for help - before it gets out of hand. There are so many people in college who can help you if you need that extra bit - lecturers, tutors, student advisors..... You're learning at the end of the day, and no one said you have to get everything first time and understand it all from the get-go. Don't worry about it for now - concentrate on your LC and when you get to UL, take it a day at a time..........good luck with everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 michel1234

Hi, Thanks for the information there it helped a lot :). As for the programming side of things do you use C++ or JavaScript yeah? If I do decide on this course I'll definitely look into the programming side to give myself a head start

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

When I did the course it was java in first year, C++ (with object orientated development) in second year (with a very small bit of either php or asp.net) and then after co-op you could usually do any programming assignments in the language you choose. Could be different these days.

For the most part, once you know one language, its easy enough to learn another. Java, C++, php and c# all have their own quirks and syntax but they tend to follow the same general style.

(FYI javascript and java are very different beasts)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

bazkennedy wrote: »
    When I did the course it was java in first year, C++ (with object orientated development) in second year (with a very small bit of either php or asp.net) and then after co-op you could usually do any programming assignments in the language you choose. Could be different these days.

For the most part, once you know one language, its easy enough to learn another. Java, C++, php and c# all have their own quirks and syntax but they tend to follow the same general style.

(FYI javascript and java are very different beasts)

We weren't given much scope with our choice of language.

We had:

Event Driven Programming: C++
    Distributed Systems: Java with Servlets
    Artificial Intelligence: Java
    Programming Language Technology: C, Flex, and Bison

By the end of the course, you will primarily have experience in mainly Java and whatever you choose for the FYP. You will be exposed to some .net or php stuff, as well as C (enjoy Data Structures and Operating Systems with Paddy!!!). Again, this is in my experience but the course is constantly changing to keep up with tech and industry needs.

Advertisement