Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with my dog = [

• 01-03-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

so first of all here are some key things.
    1. my keyboard is broken so excuse any misspells or serious grammar issues.
    2.My dog is a Siberian husky

That is pretty much it. About a year and a half ago i got a dog , She was not well when i first got her and she was very scared of everything and i mean everything it took months to get her used to walking outside . She dose not have any major issues except one thing she will not stay calm in a place with out me and this is becoming a major issue. To make matters worse because of the rough financial climate i had to move back home with my parents....and the dog obviously came with me....She is good with the family and good with other animals as long as the don't interfere with her food....that's the first problem.
    About a week ago she was hiding in a corner chewing a ball and my mother decided to take the ball.....Bad idea shadow for the first time ever growled and has cause major concern over that. So obviously she will be kept out side from now on but keeping her on her own is near impossible she hates it....she hates being alone she will whine jump and claw her way back to me.....Now obviously this is entirely my fault i clearly raised her wrong but i need to find a solution and fast because if i cant train her to keep calm or be less greedy i am going to have to get rid of her...Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Might it be worth getting behaviourist to come to your new house? Sounds like she is a bit upset by the move? Can you may be work on more training with her?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Did you get her as a pup OP? Was she a rescue?

I don't think she should be be locked outside at all just for growling, that's not fair on her at all, especially since she appears to have separation anxiety and a strong attachment to you. She has no idea why she's suddenly been chucked outside, dogs don't make that connection between doing something wrong and being punished after the event.

I'd second sillysmiles' suggestion, a behaviourist is definitely worth a shot. But make sure the person is a fully qualified behaviourist and not a "trainer", and especially not someone who uses words such as dominance, alpha, pack etc.

Actually if you can tell us your location someone will hopefully be able to recommend someone near to you? This page might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I also think it might be worth having a word with your parents to just leave her alone for a little while an let her settle and work on her food guarding and toy guarding.
    Having her outside will increase her separation issue and increase her boredom leading to more unwanted behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

There's a couple of issues that you mention and if you get a properly qualified behaviourist out for an assessment they can give excellent advice on how to work through Shadows problems. Don't go to a trainer, or somebody who calls themselves a behaviourist, they should come to you for an assessment in your own home, in Shadows environment.

Firstly there's the separation anxiety issue, probably not helped by moving home. It's a tough problem but can be sorted and worked through with the proper behaviour modification programme from a behaviourist. Again, this can only be done in your home, no internet search will tell you exactly how to deal with Shadows case.

Secondly, the growl at your mother could possibly be resource guarding. Dog feels threatened when something it has is taken away so reacts accordingly, again, your behaviourist should be able to identify it and give you a behaviour modification programme for this also. It also could be something as simple as Shadow not feeling well and reacting accordingly so a vet check to make sure all is well could help.

Don't think that you have to get rid of her, these issues can be worked through, it will take time and persistence, the results won't be immediate, but will be worth it in the end.

Advertisement