Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I have a trojan on my laptop

Options
  • 01-03-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I noticed my laptop being quite slow, so I opened up process explorer to check out what was going on, and there are two csrss.exe running, one of which was using up a fair bit of my cpu (not anymore), and also about 15 svchost.exe running, which is more then there should be I believe, a couple of which are also using up a decent amount of cpu. I googled some stuff about it and many results say that it could be a trojan. I ran a scan with Avast, but it says it found nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭xK Marcus

Ok, running that scan now, shouldn't take too long, I'll post when finished.

Scan completed, nothing found.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Try making a boot disc/USB with Avast and boot into it. It scans outside Windows and can often pick up things that a scan inside Windows will miss. Open the Avast interface, click on Tools >> Rescue CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

It's not uncommon to have more than one instance of csrss.exe in Task Manager.
    Likewise, multiple instances of svchost are not uncommon either.

If you're concerned you can use a tool like What's Running to get more information on the processes running on your computer including their run directory.

• Advertisement

gouche wrote: »
    It's not uncommon to have more than one instance of csrss.exe in Task Manager.
    Likewise, multiple instances of svchost are not uncommon either.

If you're concerned you can use a tool like What's Running to get more information on the processes running on your computer including their run directory.

Would that not be the same as Process Explorer?

Where the path information should be, it says error opening process for both csrss.exe. And why was one of them using up so much cpu all of a sudden? same with some of the Svchost, I've never had so many of them running at one time I don't think, and at such usage. They've all slowed down now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Try "adwcleaner".

What os are u using? windows saying it could be faulty profiles on the csrss.exe ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I find Advanced System Care does a thorough enough clean up along with Malwarebytes. Plenty of handy tools in the ASC toolbox.

http://www.iobit.com/

Sorry for the delay guys, had to go out for a few hours.

JOSman wrote: »
    Try "adwcleaner".

Ok, I'll try that one now
    What os are u using? windows saying it could be faulty profiles on the csrss.exe ones.

I'm using Windows 8.

So if this scan also comes up clean, does that mean I should be more, or less worried?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

xK Marcus wrote: »
    I noticed my laptop being quite slow, so I opened up process explorer to check out what was going on, and there are two csrss.exe running, one of which was using up a fair bit of my cpu (not anymore), and also about 15 svchost.exe running, which is more then there should be I believe, a couple of which are also using up a decent amount of cpu. I googled some stuff about it and many results say that it could be a trojan. I ran a scan with Avast, but it says it found nothing.

Having multiple instances of csrss.exe in the task manager is normal. There should be one instance of csrss.exe for system processes and another instance for interactive logons. If you have multiple users logged in, you can have even more instances of crss.exe in the Task Manager.

Your 15 svchost files are used for many things and would be normal, but there is a virus that can act and seem like a legitimate svchost file, so just scan with malwarebytes in safemode to be sure. Malwarebytes is more powerful in it's scanning in safe-mode.

When in doubt, scan in safe-mode, always.

You might want to do a Disk-fragmentation as well. Also a disk clean-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

xK Marcus wrote: »
    Scan completed, nothing found.

Stupid question, but did you update malwarebytes before scanning ? if so, disregard this comment.

Ran the scan and it removed some stuff, but none of it related to the processes I'm having trouble with. And yes, all my software is up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

I wouldn't be overly worried about it then.
    As said, having multiple instances of system processes running is not uncommon and if multiple scans are showing up nothing then I'd say your ok.

If you think the processes are using an excessive amount of resources then there could be an issue with them but I don't think you've a trojan.

gouche wrote: »
    I wouldn't be overly worried about it then.
    As said, having multiple instances of system processes running is not uncommon and if multiple scans are showing up nothing then I'd say your ok.

If you think the processes are using an excessive amount of resources then there could be an issue with them but I don't think you've a trojan.

Ok thanks, I'll keep an eye on it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭itsirishfarmer

do you have Lenovo computer

do you have Lenovo computer

No, Samsung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

This sounds like a silly program but superantispyware is really good for removing anything . its not great as a preventative program but its a really good as an after the fact virus removal tool.

Give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

crap cleaner is worth giving a run. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner‎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmy5694

they say spybot is good aswell

jimmy5694 wrote: »
    they say spybot is good aswell

From what I can remember spybot is a costly utility and there is equally better tools out there for free.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    From what I can remember spybot is a costly utility and there is equally better tools out there for free.

Spybot is free AFAIK.

The version I used, scanned the machine and found some items but to get rid of the items, the pro/paid version was required.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The version I used, scanned the machine and found some items but to get rid of the items, the pro/paid version was required.

Always thought it was just donations if you wanted. I'll take your word on it. Saying that its been a couple of years since I downloaded .

Must DL it and give it a go , good to do a scan with different anti-viruses now and again.

Trojan Killer is a good one.

Trojan Killer is a good one.

Good program . DL'd it hoping for a trial but none available . It did pick up a few problems. Which I was surprised at.

Advertisement