Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 month old dog just forgot house training?

• 01-03-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

My 9-month old lab who has been house trained for months just decided to relieve himself in the sitting room for no apparent reason. He always lets us now if he needs to go out and he had even gone maybe two hours previously. He is not sick. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

You say he is not sick, was that evaluation made by a vet? You can never completely know with dogs if it's something simple like an infection, they're great at hiding discomfort. If it was a one time thing I wouldn't worry too much, your dog is still young. Just continue what you're doing and make sure to clean the area thoroughly.

Had your lab gotten the opportunity to relieve itself beforehand? i.e. did he actually do his business last time he was out?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

WHo knows why a trained dog would suddenly pee in the house?!? Unless there was something 'unusual' going on? Was his routine upset? Had there been another dog in the sitting room? He was marking his territory maybe? Had there been something on the floor that he needed to pee on/mark?
    As vonvix said, if its a one off I wouldnt worry - hes still very young. If he does it again you need to think about it - whether its something like an infection of some sort, that you would not neccessarily see symptoms of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Was it wee or poo (sorry lol! :p) My older boy has only wee'd in the house once since he was a pup - i'd changed his food and it was too alkaline so he got crystals in his wee and uncomfortable. If it's a once off I wouldn't worry - just make sure you clean it with biological washing powder solution to remove the scent. Keep an eye on him too just in case he starts acting sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If you are sure the dog isn't sick and the insident is a once off, it is likely to have just been an accident. All of my dogs are fully house trained and every so often (very rarely!) someone will do a sneaky pee somewhere, and they are adults that have been trained for years. He's still a pup at 9 months old and accidents happen. If it is a once off, it's nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Thanks everyone, just a once off hopefully. He's running around the house attacking his kong like a lunatic now so all seems to be well :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement