Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Park Cabinteely

Options
  • 01-03-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Does anyone know the name of the white heron like birds currently seen in The Park Cabinteely. There was one but now joined by another - looks like a courtship situation. They are like herons but smaller and pure white - too small for storks I think.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are Little Egrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I saw one too, today: at a distance, and wondered if it was a white, small, heron -
    does that prove that there are fish in the stream through the park??

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

Thanks to Srameen for prompt reply.

As to fish in the stream (I think its called Cabinteely Stream or Foxrock Stream) - I have never seen fish there not even tiddlers -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

katemarch wrote: »
    I saw one too, today: at a distance, and wondered if it was a white, small, heron -
    does that prove that there are fish in the stream through the park??

Like Grey Herons they will take small fish but they are, again like Herons, quite happy with frogs and snails, insects and any small aminals. They become more obvious to people at this time of year as they feed on the emerging frog population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

My photo from the opening message in this thread is one of them, in cabinteely. They are little egrets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement