Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon caught in the sea

Options
  • 01-03-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine caught 2 salmon from a beach in Wexford. both were returned. He caught them on mackerel stip. first time I have ever heard of anyone catching salmon on rod and line in the sea. Where he caught them is no where near a river estuary either. Just wondering Has anyone else ever caught salmon from sea shore ? I have tried with lures and bait one summer as there were a lot of salmon jumping just off shore but no luck. My friend has a rod licence before anyone asks. Any comments welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

A friend of mine caught 2 salmon from a beach in Wexford. both were returned. He caught them on mackerel stip. first time I have ever heard of anyone catching salmon on rod and line in the sea. Where he caught them is no where near a river estuary either. Just wondering Has anyone else ever caught salmon from sea shore ? I have tried with lures and bait one summer as there were a lot of salmon jumping just off shore but no luck. My friend has a rod licence before anyone asks. Any comments welcome.

Hmmm never hear of it either but I'm sure someone must have caught one at some stage
    What size were they? Are you sure they weren't seatrout u would see them jumping a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Any pictures ? I'd find it hard to believe only because my uncle is sea fishing a long time and have never heard him or any if his friends talk about catching one and between em I say they have got every species you could name

Are you sure it wasn't a bass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

could be sea trout. caught them in the sea a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

if he caught one then i'd call it a very rare incident, but two...! i'm saying sea trout unless i see photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

There sea trout not salmon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

There was a salmon caught on an east cork beach last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

.red. wrote: »
    There was a salmon caught on an east cork beach last summer.

If it's the one I'm thinking of that was from an estuary beach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

If it's the one I'm thinking of that was from an estuary beach
    No. Theres no fresh water on the beach. Think the fish was about 3lb.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Possibly a seatrout although I do know someone who caught a salmon on a Irishl beach years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

i have heard of it from my father. happened about 40 years ago.
    exceptionally rare but highly likely these ones were farm escapees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I witnessed a salmon caught a good few years ago from the rocks in Tracht beach near Kinvara by a guy spinning for mackerel with a toby. Was about 6-7lbs so a fair lump of a fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

ive heard of one caught off a beach in donegal by a guy who would know the difference between a sea trout and salmon

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

All sea trout i'm afraid, sometimes its very hard to distinguish between a good sized sea trout and a salmon, the only way it ccan happen is they have been fouled hooked and that would have to be from an estuary that drains a salmon river...

An example is the cashen in kerry it has happened before, lads have been bait fishing and salmon either migrating back to sea or migrating into the river will be fouled hooked, as far as i know salmon migrate to feeding grounds up north near greenland, they don't actually feed in our shores or rivers, they take spinners, flies or bait out of aggression...

Saying that i would never say never but highly unlikely, defo good size sea trout...

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

danbrosnan wrote: »
    All sea trout i'm afraid

Bit of a sweeping statement? As I said above I witnessed a salmon caught in the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

I have seen Plenty of salmon caught off beach's from spinning along the wicklow coast.

:)

Have seen sea trout caught too.

:)

lads i have never seen it, never heard it, its almost scientifically impossible as they don't feed around our coasts...

Just google it and no results will come back, email the fishery board and i betcha they will say, only in very very rare circumstances like foul hooked etc....

It just doesn't happen, what does happen is that sea trout which can grow to 20 pound are caught and mistaken as salmon, thats whats going on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

lads i have never seen it, never heard it, its almost scientifically impossible as they don't feed around our coasts...

They don't feed in our rivers either!

Seriously, this is a rarity but not an impossibility. I've caught salmon in estuaries before, not a huge leap of imagination to suggest they can get caught near estuaries.

Bw

On the topic of salmon not feeding I'n our rivers I seen a clip on Facebook about the river Tay in Scotland where they have a hatchery ,they take all the eggs from the hen fish and keep them in salt water baths and feed them back up to health and take more eggs

The person doing it has strong views on the matter and is convinced they feed In our waters . I'll try find the write up and link it if anything it makes for a good read

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    They don't feed in our rivers either!

Seriously, this is a rarity but not an impossibility. I've caught salmon in estuaries before, not a huge leap of imagination to suggest they can get caught near estuaries.

Bw

Have you pics? Cause if you don't I'm sorry I don't believe u... Lads I know ye might think that I'm being smart and like I know everything but once ever I have heard this happen in a club sea fishing match on the cashen in north kerry...

We have the biggest sea angling in Ireland here in Kerry and also the longest running club, once it's ever happened and the fish was foul hooked, never ever have I heard of a salmon taking a bait in the see, in the moy where I have fished for a number of years ther is a big sea fishing tradition for trout in the bay there...

Never ever a guile told me there has catching a salmon in saltwater happened... It just does not happen, foul hooked then there is a chance...

popsy09 wrote: »
    On the topic of salmon not feeding I'n our rivers I seen a clip on Facebook about the river Tay in Scotland where they have a hatchery ,they take all the eggs from the hen fish and keep them in salt water baths and feed them back up to health and take more eggs

The person doing it has strong views on the matter and is convinced they feed In our waters . I'll try find the write up and link it if anything it makes for a good read

There should be hatcheries like that in all our rivers here in Ireland...

On your point about the salmon feeding in our waters, if they don't get back to there feeding grounds they will starve, a lot the big fish actually die from starvation.. They don't feed I'm afraid they have a migratory pattern that as been there for millions of years, there lives are actually amazing, how they achieve what they do with every obstacle in there way....

Travel thousands of miles to get back to where they were born and travel thousands of miles again to get back to where they feed off the coast of Greenland...

It makes you thnk more that every fish should be put back...

• Advertisement

I have been trying to get up to the hatchery on the river lee but so far unsuccessful

This man from the river Tay in Scotland (I'll try get a name once I'm back on laptop tmw ) says that they do feed and he is feeding the kelts and has videos of it

I enjoyed reading it as I was always told they don't feed in our waters it's was nice too read his views and opinions on the matter

It's not impossible at all. Just unlikely.
    Differences in behaviour and physical characteristics of living creatures are what fuel evolution. Mutations that occur every generation can and will lead to some albeit rare occasions where salmon feel right up to the estuary amongst countless other possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Have you pics? Cause if you don't I'm sorry I don't believe u... Lads I know ye might think that I'm being smart and like I know everything but once ever I have heard this happen in a club sea fishing match on the cashen in north kerry...

We have the biggest sea angling in Ireland here in Kerry and also the longest running club, once it's ever happened and the fish was foul hooked, never ever have I heard of a salmon taking a bait in the see, in the moy where I have fished for a number of years ther is a big sea fishing tradition for trout in the bay there...

Never ever a guile told me there has catching a salmon in saltwater happened... It just does not happen, foul hooked then there is a chance...

The world is a bigger place than Kerry or the moy and I'm sorry dan but you don't know everything.
    Personally I don't really mind what you believe me but please bear in mind that the world would be a poor place if we didn't consider that no matter how much we think we might know that sometimes we may be wrong.

I don't have a picture of the few estuary salmon I've caught, then again I have only ever taken one picture of a salmon I've caught, a nice spring fish from carrowmore. I have however caught hundreds of salmon and hundreds if not thousands of sea trout. I have a degree in fish biology and fisheries management and have worked in fisheries all my life.
    I know the difference between a salmon and a sea trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Budawanny wrote: »
    It's not impossible at all. Just unlikely.
    Differences in behaviour and physical characteristics of living creatures are what fuel evolution. Mutations that occur every generation can and will lead to some albeit rare occasions where salmon feel right up to the estuary amongst countless other possibilities.

An old man that's since passed always said to me when I was lamenting the fact that conditions were perfect yet we weren't catching fish 'seafields, sometimes the fish don't read the same books we do' . ;)

Can someone show me a salmon caught at sea? Please!

I have been around fish and angling all my life and I have some education in the subject but for me this is just all not true...

If a salmon was caught in Ireland in the sea it would be big news...

I am only talking about Ireland here also, I don't know much about pacific salmon or king salmon or anything like that...

I actually want someone to show me where and how an Atlantic irish salmon was bait caught at sea...

You see this subject goes far beyond us and our lives... Salmon are on the verge of extinction due to overfishing of there main food source in the North Atlantic, super trawlers are overfishing kree which are then used to feed farmed salmon all over the world...

You see if we are on the verge of an evolutionary change then I personally would not have to worry about this, I have a wee past with this fish that effected my life far beyond anything else...

SeaFields wrote: »
    An old man that's since passed always said to me when I was lamenting the fact that conditions were perfect yet we weren't catching fish 'seafields, sometimes the fish don't read the same books we do' . ;)

The best reply I have ever seen on boards... What happened to these wise old men....

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

bizidea wrote: »
    ive heard of one caught off a beach in donegal by a guy who would know the difference between a sea trout and salmon

I think you and I are both referring to the same incident

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Ok, I'm going to bite (no pun intended!), and apologies if it's been covered before, but if Salmon don't eat in fresh water, why do they take bait (both real and artificial) in fresh water? And if it is a reflex or some other reason rather than to feed, why wouldn't they do so in the sea - wouldn't the reflex still be present, so then it's just a question of scale of the sea reducing the chances of you presenting the bait to the salmon in the sea?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Ok, I'm going to bite (no pun intended!), and apologies if it's been covered before, but if Salmon don't eat in fresh water, why do they take bait (both real and artificial) in fresh water? And if it is a reflex or some other reason rather than to feed, why wouldn't they do so in the sea - wouldn't the reflex still be present, so then it's just a question of scale of the sea reducing the chances of you presenting the bait to the salmon in the sea?

I am no scientist but i have a fair bit of knowledge in this area and i would be happy to be proven wrong, it is a scientific fact that wild natural salmon not from hatcheries , will not feed in freshwater...

The reason for salmon attacking lures or bait is aggression brought on by when they enter freshwater, the reason for aggression is the freshwater and there natural surge to there breeding grounds to breed...

I have never seen or witnessed a salmon caught in salt water in ireland by bait or lure but i have heard of fish been foul hooked...

Salmon undergo a massive change when they naturally change the action of there gills from been able to breath in salt water to freshwater...

I WANT SOMEONE TO SHOW ME AN ARTICLE, BLOG, ETC THAT SHOWS A SALMON IN IRELAND BEEN CAUGHT TO ROD AND LINE IN THE SEA..

• Advertisement

caps lock is the one on the left above the shift key.

Advertisement