Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Section 42 Questions

Options
  • 01-03-2014 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

A local farmer has a Section 42 and I know the nominated stalker cited/written on the S42.

Am I allowed to shoot the land with the owner's verbal consent or do I need to be cited/written on the paperwork?

Also, when a Section 42 cull is taken to a butcher, what paperwork will I need? Particularly, if I have a copy of the S42 with someone else's name, not mine, will that be problematic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You have to be nominated on the s42.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I am looking into this at the moment and just today downloaded the form. In the nomination section it dose make allowances for more than one nominee.
    BUT IMO, common sense would dictate this is for the initial application and not for adding on. Wheather or not the farmer will look for a alteration and wheather or not the Dept will accommodate is some one else's guess.

It also asks for a declaration on what will be the method of disposal of the animal, again how this effects the application I don't know, someone with more experience may be able to shed more light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I am looking into this at the moment and just today downloaded the form. In the nomination section it dose make allowances for more than one nominee.
    BUT IMO, common sense would dictate this is for the initial application and not for adding on. Wheather or not the farmer will look for a alteration and wheather or not the Dept will accommodate is some one else's guess.

It also asks for a declaration on what will be the method of disposal of the animal, again how this effects the application I don't know, someone with more experience may be able to shed more light.

I had one last year farmer was riddled with them in his small plot of land. First time u ever had one, and myself and a mate were the nominated stalker. Was for fallow male only for the month of may I think. Made very little difference Tbh, I only managed to take one during the whole month, mostly females every time I went out.

Anyway, you can only shoot if your named as the nominated stalker. Carcass disposal on the form, I said I would use the carcass myself.

wexfordman2,

That's something similar to what I'm looking at, thier passing through a very small plot but causing a lot of damage.

I'm not holding out hope of securing a section as I belive their getting harder and harder to get, but the farmer is happy enough to try and I am willing to do my bit.

How do you go about determining the time period, does the farmer just put in for a 6 month period ie March to August and see what the Department says or what way is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

How do you go about determining the time period

Time period depends upon the maturity of the crops and whether it is open season.

• Advertisement

wexfordman2,

That's something similar to what I'm looking at, thier passing through a very small plot but causing a lot of damage.

I'm not holding out hope of securing a section as I belive their getting harder and harder to get, but the farmer is happy enough to try and I am willing to do my bit.

How do you go about determining the time period, does the farmer just put in for a 6 month period ie March to August and see what the Department says or what way is it?

If I remember it depends on what farmer wants but ultimately npws decide, as I said, out one was one month and males only in may.

If I remember it depends on what farmer wants but ultimately npws decide, as I said, out one was one month and males only in may.

Thanks, that's cool, he wants to discourage them all year round as its damage to tree plantations, ditchs, hedgerows and his electric fence system that he's concerned with.
    Have to just wait and see.

Cookie,

Just sent you a pm if you want to have a look, bit more detail rather than posting it up.

Will do, thanks

Advertisement