Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon travel insurance

Options
  • 01-03-2014 5:35pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking around at the moment for an annual travel policy to cover triathlon training and events. Blueinsurance.ie, Sportscoverdirect and cover4travel.com are three that I have looked at so far. Grade 2 basic cover is coming in at roughly €43- €45.

Does anyone have any experience of these companies, or can recommend anyone else?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Clearly no-one here bothers with insurance. :)

Just a word to the wise though, for anyone taking out insurance for a training camp or tri specific trip. Ordinary insurance cover, even to grade 2, only covers you for incidental or casual sport. As in, you just happen to do it while on holiday. If the purpose of your holiday is to train, say tricamp or cycle touring, you need a higher grade of insurance to cover you. And racing isn't covered by most insurers.

Maybe everyone knows this, but I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Oryx wrote: »
    Clearly no-one here bothers with insurance.

I've never thought about it to be honest.

Could be the superstitious Irishness in me that says if you're not insured you can't have accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

As far as I know the travel insurance we have covers Triathlon, I will check who we have it with.

It is quite specific in not covering sky diving in the US tho :(

mloc123 wrote: »
    As far as I know the travel insurance we have covers Triathlon, I will check who we have it with.

It is quite specific in not covering sky diving in the US tho :(
    Grade 2 covers cycling so I thought happy days. But in the small print, its not covered if that is the purpose of the trip. Nice little get out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Adventure racing is even worse! High altitude running, sea kayaking, white water sports, mountain biking, all whilst racing.... nightmare insurance issues.

I had found a brilliant insurer, but unfortunately they stopped covering Irish residenents last year. Currently on cover4travel.com, but need to get better really for the issues you outlined.

• Advertisement

I ended up getting single trip cover for a tenner from travelinsurance.ie, but didn't bother with annual cover as it wont cover my next trip away as I am racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Since when is triathlon a high risk sport.....

where did everyone get their insurance?

tunney wrote: »
    Since when is triathlon a high risk sport.....

where did everyone get their insurance?
    Since you fall over your own self and get borked.

You can get regular cover for swim bike run no problem. Races are the problem. Sportscoverdirect were the ones I found to cover racing, as mentioned above, but I hadnt taken out a policy with them.

Advertisement