Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Holiday Entitlements

Options
  • 01-03-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey there,

Just wondering if anyone can help? I work 5 days a week on a fixed term salary. My boss tells me I'm not entitled to have bank holidays off as we are in the service industry and I have a salary wage. Is this the case? And if it is do I not get some kind of compensation like time and a half or an extra day off or something? :confused: Any help would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You aren't entitled to have it off, but you are entitled to one of the following instead

From Citizens information
    Employees who qualify for public holiday benefit will be entitled to one of the following:

A paid day off on the public holiday
    An additional day of annual leave
    An additional day's pay
    A paid day off within a month of the public holiday

The Organisation of Working Time Act provides that you may ask your employer at least 21 days before a public holiday, which of the alternatives will apply. If your employer fails to respond at least 14 days before the public holiday, you are entitled to take the actual public holiday as a paid day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

Cheers!

I had a look on there but just got a bit confused. I mean is a "paid day off on the public holiday" not the same thing? Or does it mean that if that's not an option you're entitled to one of the other 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Yes it just means that you may have to work on the public holidays but you will get one of the of the other options in place of it depending on what the company's policy is. For example where I worked last in retail, I always worked public holidays but the company policy was that I got an additional day of annual leave for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gosh_idiots

Ah, okay. Thanks for your help guys! :) I asked my boss but was just told that I had to work the bank holidays cause I have a salary wage and legally they don't have to give me the bank holidays off. I've already worked a few bank holidays with none of the other options given to me. Sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Send a letter outlining your issues to NERA. They won't be long making boss jump:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Ah, okay. Thanks for your help guys! :) I asked my boss but was just told that I had to work the bank holidays cause I have a salary wage and legally they don't have to give me the bank holidays off. I've already worked a few bank holidays with none of the other options given to me. Sickened.

They don't have to give you the actual day of the bank holiday off but as far as I know you should still be entitled to one of the other options regardless.

Advertisement