Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LED vs Plasma vs Smart

• 01-03-2014 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

I was in a shop today, dreaming about buying a new TV.

Lots to choose from.

What's better in terms of picture quality LED or Plasma.?

Was looking at something around the 46 inch....didn't want to spend a fortune, budget around 600. That probably rules out a smart tv.

Should I wait and save up to buy a Smart TV?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Not many manufacturers will sell plasma after this year - it's just not popular anymore.

Most of the better TVs are smart - only very basic sets are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭dubrov

If you buy online, €600 should easily get you a 46" smart TV.

Here is a decent one for example:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/led-tv/samsung-ue40f6400-led-3d-smart-tv/21309101-a.html

Personally, I think the 3D is a bit of a gimmick and don't know anyone who uses it regularly.
    For the smart side, I'd only buy one if you plan to use RTE Player (Samsungs only I think), Youtube or DLNA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I have a Panasonic 3D Plasma Smart TV,

As said above Plasma is being dropped, but don't be put off buying one because of that.

As also mentioned above I agree the 3D is a bit gimmicky. I think it is great in the cinema, but I rarely use it on my tv. I watched Gravity in 3D last night and it was fantastic but it is rare that I use it.

I don't like watching live sports in 3D, but in saying that the nature stuff and animated movies excel in 3D.

I don't use the Smart functionality on my TV because it is inferior to the external hardware I have to access the same stuff.

There should be great deals on the market right now with 4k and OLED bringing down the price of old technology which still packs a punch.

Advertisement