Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using My Name In Irish?

• 01-03-2014 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I was thinking of changing my name to the Irish version after the leaving? I love the language a lot and I suppose I just think that it's getting important to keep our language and culture alive. :o I'm 18 in a few months so what steps would I take to change it? Does it cause any legal implications or stuff? Thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Surely there should be no issue given that Irish is the first official language you can just start using it. You might have fun if you go abroad telling people how to pronounce it but sure that happens to loads of names anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

Does it cause any legal implications or stuff

Renew your passport with the Irish version of your name. You need to provide the passport office with two forms of proof of usage dating back at least 2 years.

Once you have the passport, you can change the name on your bank account, utilities, etc.

That should be enough for most people, though your birth cert will remain unchanged. If you want to go the whole hog, you have to go by deed poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

In my experience OP, having any legal documents in a name other than that of your birth cert just leads to complications down the line and is more trouble than it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

Aard wrote: »
    In my experience OP, having any legal documents in a name other than that of your birth cert just leads to complications down the line and is more trouble than it's worth.

My experiance is quite different. I can honestly say its never once been an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It was a serious enough issue for me in certain instances when I lived abroad.

Either do it the whole hog (i.e. change absolutely every single document you have to reflect the new name, and also get some sort of official statement if at all possible) or don't do it at all would be my advice. The reason I had a mix of the two names is that certain documents were in Irish as I used to use my Irish name while at school (gaelcholáiste). Not to be advised!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

My common use name is different to my legal name.

Just ask your mates and family to use the Irish version.
    Book flights/sign cheques with your original name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 ormeau 1

My friend obtained a Garda Age Card in Irish. I was surprised at how easy he got it. The Garda pretty much done it on the spot with the English indetity documents he presented.

I stop using the Irish version of my name when I finished high school but I would like to go back to using it again. The more I read about Irish History the more I am convinced that it is an integral part of our indenty as Irish people. There's certainly truth in the saying that; ''Tir gan teanga, tir gan anam.''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I was thinking of changing my name to the Irish version after the leaving? I love the language a lot and I suppose I just think that it's getting important to keep our language and culture alive. :o I'm 18 in a few months so what steps would I take to change it? Does it cause any legal implications or stuff? Thanks lads
    I started using the Irish version when I was in 5th or 6th year, and except at University, where they would only register you according to your birth certificate unless you changed your name by deed poll, I have never used anything else since.
    Never had any trouble with it. The only comment ever made was an Irish person in an office in England who said "Oh that's ___ in English, isn't it?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

deirdremf wrote: »
    I started using the Irish version when I was in 5th or 6th year, and except at University, where they would only register you according to your birth certificate unless you changed your name by deed poll, I have never used anything else since.
    Never had any trouble with it. The only comment ever made was an Irish person in an office in England who said "Oh that's ___ in English, isn't it?"

Which Uni? The University I was at had no problem.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My kids have 16 years of being educated through Irish to look forward to so we decided to register them with their Irish surnames and they all have Irish 1st names anyway .
    They are free to use their English name too if they choose to .
    The only complication is my husband's passport is in English , theirs Irish and mine in my maiden name so I bring a copy of our wedding cert or their birthcerts travelling :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭deirdremf

GaelMise wrote: »
    Which Uni? The University I was at had no problem.
    UCD. It's a few years ago now!

Advertisement