Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rodney Marsh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hes a geeza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was England.

BCIFjEwCEAA7ZGU.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Another Toon Army coming his way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

And you wonder why gay footballers are afraid to come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don't think I could have despised Rodney Marsh anymore already so this probably doesn't change a huge amount anyway. Neanderthal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He's never been relevant anyway.

He doesn't even appeal to the lowest common denominator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He's usually on Talksport talking shíte once a week and the presenters treat him like Maradona. At least these comments should put an end to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Rodney is a bit of crack. Was the best analyst on Sky

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Rodney is a bit of crack. Was the best analyst on Sky
    There is always one.

CSF wrote: »
    There is always one.

Whats the problem? Rodney is allowed his opinion. The game is gone soft these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

His comments are unacceptable in this day and age and there's no way he could ever be allowed have a mainstream role nowadays.

I must say though I did find him hilarious at times when he was a guest on that Sky Sports phone-in show. He used to have a gong that he would hit whenever callers were talking crap and they would be instantly cut off. I do remember even then though some of the things he said were really pushing the boundaries of acceptability.

Whats the problem? Rodney is allowed his opinion. The game is gone soft these days
    When the guy who thanks your post has idiot in their name you should really start to reevaluate your approach to forming an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Indeed. Far too many 'poofs' prancing around the pitch these days. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When the guy who thanks your post has idiot in their name you should really start to reevaluate your approach to forming an opinion.

do you not agree the game has gone soft with minimal contact making players go down like they were shot?

do you not agree the game has gone soft with minimal contact making players go down like they were shot?
    Yes, what the hell does that have to do with people being 'heterosexually challenged'?

Yes, what the hell does that have to do with people being 'heterosexually challenged'?

because Rodney and a lot of people from his era would see gays as soft compared to the hard men he played against in the 60s and 70s. This is not my opinion but he's entitled to his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You've completely missed the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

J. Marston wrote: »
    He's usually on Talksport talking shíte once a week and the presenters treat him like Maradona. At least these comments should put an end to that.

Ha I read that as Madonna. Fitting maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Much to do about nothing. More fake outrage from people looking to be offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really? When there's an admitted problem with homophobia in the game, when no gay footballer in all divisions from the Premier League to the Championship feels that they can come out, then stuff like this from a prominent media personality in the game just reinforces this mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

because Rodney and a lot of people from his era would see gays as soft compared to the hard men he played against in the 60s and 70s. This is not my opinion but he's entitled to his.

They also thought it was fine to call black men darkies, coons and worse, discriminate against anyone not white and English and treat them like ****e. He's entitled to his opinion, but when it veers into homophobia, then everyone else is entitled to call him a scumbag.

As I said, there's always one. Ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

For what it's worth I'm not "outraged" nor am I "offended".

I hate the word "offended", it wouldn't lend any more weight to my opinion, to say "I'm offended" is little more than a moan.

However, Rodney Marsh is still 100% in the wrong for what he said.

Rodney Marsh ‏@RodneyMarsh10 8h
    I apologise for a couple of earlier tweets. Attempted to be funny.Miserable failure
    #poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

And that makes him a bigot, which is one of the worst problems in the game today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'm more concerned about Arsenals poor form rather than this Rodney Marsh twitter crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Really? When there's an admitted problem with homophobia in the game, when no gay footballer in all divisions from the Premier League to the Championship feels that they can come out, then stuff like this from a prominent media personality in the game just reinforces this mindset.

This. It's not just moral outrage for the sake of it. Homophobia causes problems that actually matter, on and off the pitch. Old bigots like Marsh perpetuate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If Rodney Marsh said '**** shouldn't play for England', would your opinion still be the same. Would you still fail to see the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rodney Marsh is just another sad relic from the age of Garry Glitter and Alf Garnet, I wouldn't bother reprimanding him as he is condemned by his own mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Aye it's hard to get offended by a Talksport alumni personally but it does probably hit home to those gay footballers that we all want to come out of the closet to improve football's image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I would say a vast amount of people on this forum have called someone a "poof" at some point for being a bit soft. It's a turn of phrase. But, one that shouldn't be used by a media personality on a public forum. That "poof" comment alone I wouldn't have batted an eye at, but the fact that he went on to say "heterosexually challenged" compounded his idiocy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

baz2009 wrote: »
    I would say a vast amount of people on this forum have called someone a "poof" at some point for being a bit soft. It's a turn of phrase. But, one that shouldn't be used by a media personality on a public forum. That "poof" comment alone I wouldn't have batted an eye at, but the fact that he went on to say "heterosexually challenged" compounded his idiocy.

While it maybe common place and somewhat acceptable to say that sort of thing to friends etc jokingly, to put it in writing and broadcast it is an entirely different thing, and reflects very poorly on both Marsh's intelligence and awareness of such issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

class footballer - used to enjoy his punditry too - stupid comments - but, some of the ****e I have heard on the terraces or playing 100 times worse ; its not that long ago Graham leSaux was villified by more than Robbie Fowler for being gay - in fact he wasn't - something to do with reading the Guardian , so in comparison to a few years ago - its just some stupid comments , lets move on - we've all said things we regret , including me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Rodney Marsh ‏@RodneyMarsh10 8h
    I apologise for a couple of earlier tweets. Attempted to be funny.Miserable failure
    #poor

So now Rodney Marsh thinks what he said isn't okay, but you still think it's fine I assume?

So now Rodney Marsh thinks what he said isn't okay, but you still think it's fine I assume?

it doesn't bother me what he said. I'm not gay so it doesn't offend me. I like Rodney marsh as a pundit and would rather listen to him than some bland politically correct pundit like Jamie redknapp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Ah football's just turning into one big PC swatdown these days.

Even 70-year-old ex-pros need crisis management consultants.

I never thought I'd say "PC gone mad", but there, I've said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

What's that got to do with being homophobic?

markesmith wrote: »
    Ah football's just turning into one big PC swatdown these days.

Even 70-year-old ex-pros need crisis management consultants.

I never thought I'd say "PC gone mad", but there, I've said it.
    Yeah it's the people who have a problem with bigotry who are the problem, sound logic.

In some people's eyes homophobia doesn't seem to stretch beyond physical violence. Evidently you are one of those.

Advertisement