Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houses and schools in Tuam

Options
  • 01-03-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, i am looking at houses in Tuam and was wondering about some of the new estates there, also any information about the primary schools in the town. I have seen old threads on this can be very negative and would be great to hear how people are finding living there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Hi, as for schools, there are a number of national and secondary in the area. One issue I would see (personal option) is that the schools in the town are segregated (Boys/Girls).

Estate, a number of nice estates round, palace fields, cois na habhainn close etc. Very little to rent at present according to daft.ie but there are a number of agents that can help there.

I've been living in the town for 7 years now and find it on a par with athenry and ballinasloe for facilities (Pool/gym/shops)

Yes it has had a negative view, but the community are working hard to disperse that image. The recent Carpark closure is a new negative though.

All in all, we find it a nice safe area, we are raising two kids here and have plenty to do (large park, playground, pool, forest walks in castlehacket)..... The main issue is the weather, but we cant blame Tuam for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,890 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The Irish school isn't segregated. The rest of them are segregated from 2nd class upwards. It's the boys that have to make the move from the Presentation or the Mercy to Pats boys.

Cricket Fields is a lovely little estate. Very quiet, quite a few kids and a big green area. You can walk through the park to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    ......Yes it has had a negative view, but the community are working hard to disperse that image. The recent Carpark closure is a new negative though.

All in all, we find it a nice safe area, we are raising two kids here and have plenty to do (large park, playground, pool, forest walks in castlehacket)..... The main issue is the weather, but we cant blame Tuam for that :)

As a member of the community I work hard to disperse any negative view of Tuam. To that end I've campaigned tirelessly for the unsafe unauthorised car parks to be made safe for everybody especially the elderly, disabled and children. Biased reporting in local media, misinformation by the developer and his PR consultants, absence of support from many sleeveen Town and County Cllrs, and blackguarding by senior executives in County Buildings has caused much of the general public to be misinformed about the scandalous stroke that has been pulled upon the decent people of our community. Thankfully both the High Court and Supreme Court have come out in support of the people.

"On this uncontradicted evidence before the court, he has carried out eight unauthorised developments since 1996. He has been the subject of six enforcement or warning notices but has repeatedly been granted retention permission. This history demonstrates little regard for the planning process on the part of the respondent. It also reflects little credit on those charged with responsibility for the integrity of the planning process in Tuam. The planning situation in the historic heart of Tuam, as revealed in the evidence before the court in this application, may be described as chaotic." Source: Judgment by: Hedigan J. High Court Record Number: 2012 432 MCA

• Registered Users Posts: 13 maddison1

Thanks for all the replys. Hopefully will buy a house there in the near future.

Advertisement