Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotel refund

Options
  • 01-03-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

hey there, around christmas i booked a double room for saturday the 1st of feb in the double tree by the hilton in Dublun as we were going to the rugby the following day.
    the morning of the 1st arrived and there was fierce floods in our area as well as stormy conditions so we decided to travel to dublin the following morning when the storm was over.
    i rang the hotel asking them to cancel our booking which was 113 euro, and thankfully the receptionist said we could cancel it without being charged. happy days.
    but then on the 14th when i was looking at my bank statement I noticed 89 euro withdrawn by the hotel- 2 weeks later.
    i rang the hotel and explained my story, she said to email her a copy of my statement and my details. they never got back to me so i rang again last week and they just said they will get back to me.
    i know i didnt give them 24 hours notice but they did say that there was no charge when i cancelled it. seems strange that i was chrged 2 weeks later and a different amount to what i was to pay. any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Phone them up and say there is an unauthorized charge on your card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Did you agree to a deposit? I know very few hotels who will forego a deposit on a cancellation less than 24 hours in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did you agree to a deposit? I know very few hotels who will forego a deposit on a cancellation less than 24 hours in advance.

Its not that uncommon now with chain hotels to allow up to 3pm or so on day of arrival - but of course its not universal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

it really depends on the terms and conditions of the rate you booked.

If you got a special offer rate with no cancellation, then that is what applies, if your rate allows cancellation up to the night before, then that is what applies, if it allows for cancellation up to 6pm on day of arrival (usually the dearest price), then that applies.

at €113 for a rugby saturday, I can only guess you got a no cancellation fee - if you ave annual travel insurance, that will cover you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

sandin wrote: »
    it really depends on the terms and conditions of the rate you booked.

I disagree, as per the OP's post:
    "I rang the hotel asking them to cancel our booking which was 113 euro, and thankfully the receptionist said we could cancel it without being charged."
    so it no longer simply comes down to what the t&c's said, given this new verbal agreement.

That said, it is more than likely going to be your word against theirs if the staff member denies ever saying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Thanks for the replys.
    I booked the hotel the day before on the phone and we didn't discuss cancellation policy.
    I rang on the Saturday morning to see if we could cancel without being charged, she said we could. if she said we could not then we would have a greater effort to go to Dublin for the night. As we were travelling from Kerry I was worried about travelling on the motorway in the height of very strong winds and that was my reason for trying to wait until the Sunday morning which was very calm.
    I would have no grievance if we couldnt get a refund at the time but I'm annoyed that they did not stick to the promise that we would not be charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I disagree, as per the OP's post:
    "I rang the hotel asking them to cancel our booking which was 113 euro, and thankfully the receptionist said we could cancel it without being charged."
    so it no longer simply comes down to what the t&c's said, given this new verbal agreement.

That said, it is more than likely going to be your word against theirs if the staff member denies ever saying that.

You'd have to have proof - at the end of the day, written T&C's will always prevail - if you bought a no-cancellation rate, then that is what it is. The OP has now given more info which explains why the girl said there was no fee.
    Henwin wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys.
    I booked the hotel the day before on the phone and we didn't discuss cancellation policy.
    I rang on the Saturday morning to see if we could cancel without being charged, she said we could. if she said we could not then we would have a greater effort to go to Dublin for the night. As we were travelling from Kerry I was worried about travelling on the motorway in the height of very strong winds and that was my reason for trying to wait until the Sunday morning which was very calm.
    I would have no grievance if we couldnt get a refund at the time but I'm annoyed that they did not stick to the promise that we would not be charged.

The additional info is important. - If no special cancellation policy was stated, then standard rate terms apply.

Their standard terms cancellation policy states

Cancellation Policy
    If you wish to cancel, please do so by 4pm, hotel local time, on the day of arrival to avoid cancellation penalties.

So my guess is they have made an error - write to them and ask for it to be resolved within 7 days or you will request a chargeback via your card company.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Cheers thanks, I will do that. It 11.00 that I rang to cancel it

Advertisement