Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just attempted my first track day

• 01-03-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Just back from Mondello, had a disaster of a day, I was way out of my comfort zone. My first clue was when everyone was arriving in vans with proper race bikes, I just thought they must be the intermediate/advanced lads.

I had never ridden on track before, signed on in the novice group, so after a quick briefing we were let loose, by lap 2 the group were flying and I was bricking it. I didn't know the lines, hadn't a clue about breaking markers or anything, these lads all had experience.

It wasn't until after the first session that I found out that everyone had been taking part in track training days(which is what I thought I was there for). I was told by a marshal that I had a lot of work to do before heading back out. I decided not to go back out as I felt very unsafe out there.

I never knew about the training days but I will be booking one soon. Has anyone else got any similar experiences with track days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The first recommendation I have for you is to try and get your hands on a copy of Keith codes 'a twist of the wrist part 2' and the DVD to go with it. Read it, and watch it till you understand it. It did wonders for my riding. Then, if you can stretch to it, get dome proper on track training, I did a day at Ron haslams race school as part of a weekend away at the world superbikes and it was incredible.

With regards to fellas with race bikes, don't be intimidated, everyone started as a beginner at some stage, and a lot of fellas on track bikes are using them because they love track riding so much, they couldn't bear to damage their road bike if an accident were to happen.

Ride at you own pace, don't be afraid to ask questions, but be warned,you could end up down a very deep rabbit hole like myself, taking the bike abroad to ride tracks like motorland aragon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvAKj6XMLxI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Everyone is bricking it their first few times, I must have went to the jacks about ten times before I ever did my first lap of mondello!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Lenn Brennan

Cheers for the advice!! I'll check that out. I'm definitely going to do some training days. The marshals were great and that was their advice.

I presumed there would be other lads in the same boat as me but how wrong I was!

Cheers for the advice!! I'll check that out. I'm definitely going to do some training days. The marshals were great and that was their advice.

I presumed there would be other lads in the same boat as me but how wrong I was!

I've often found that depending on how booked up the day is, you can have fellas who should be in the fast or intermediate group dropping down if the groups are a bit quieter.

Hopefully see you there someday! Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Fair play for sharing your experience, I would be pretty much in the same boat as you but I would not be intimidated by other riders thats for sure. The important thing is that you "KNEW" you were out of your comfort zone and did not push it to be the big man.

• Advertisement

Hopefully see you there someday! Cheers

It'll be a while before you see me there dude, a second baby girl has me occupied for the foreseeable future!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Fair play for sharing your experience, I would be pretty much in the same boat as you but I would not be intimidated by other riders thats for sure. The important thing is that you "KNEW" you were out of your comfort zone and did not push it to be the big man.

This. All day long. Ride at your own pace, there's no trophies at trackdays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Went out for a look recently when I was in the area and had time to kill. Would like to give it a go some time.

Congrats Stone Deaf

Wonda-boy, that was exactly it, I'm glad I bowed out when I did, I'll do some training days and take it from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Thats weird...:confused: .when i've been on track days the new guys had a longer briefing and were brought out and shown around the track.....is that gone now.???....doesnt seem to make sense tbh.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Something similar happened to me years ago, it was supposed to be a track day for road bikes and every bike got a red, amber or green sticker for advanced, intermediate or novice. This clown turned up on a race prepped Aprilia RS125, got a red sticker, then proceeded to go out in every session and cut up novice riders and generally act the prick. Marshals didn't give a fook.

You should complain to the organisers OP and get your money back.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Dont be worried about everyone else. Forget lines and braking points as there all different for different people/bikes.

Just ride as fast as you want and enjoy yourself.

Alot of lads might have borrowed a track bike too. You done know how fast or slow someone is just by the look of them

They said I could do a training day instead, no charge, I'll look forward to that

ninja900 wrote: »

Good luck with that.........theres too many guys down there who are mates with the marshals etc....its the irish way ....
    Dont be intimidated by others, most of those guys are experienced and SHOULD give you room ..then theres those who run out of talent and end up in the muck....:D

There was some really experienced guys there alright, I couldn't believe the speed they were getting up to.

They were all very friendly, coming over to say hello and if I needed anything just to ask, marshals and other riders.

Can't wait to return for training, get to know the track and hopefully attempt it all over again!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry to hear it did not go well, hopefully you'll have a much better time at the trackday training. Going to do one myself soon, kinda bricking it but should be ok.

As said already, have a look at the Twist of the Wrist videos:

You can find the pdf's online without too much trouble

Also, here is a big collection of riding technique videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsZNkLTZzod5fnmz4Y2b48e1UPr_PDb0f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Zascar wrote: »
    As said already, have a look at the Twist of the Wrist videos:

Wow that was a painful watch, just had a look at the first video.

M450 wrote: »
    Wow that was a painful watch, just had a look at the first video.

+1.....:eek:.....did ya see those forks flexing...wow....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I know the cheesy american way its done is awful, but its still got some good advice in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Something similar happened to me years ago, it was supposed to be a track day for road bikes and every bike got a red, amber or green sticker for advanced, intermediate or novice. This clown turned up on a race prepped Aprilia RS125, got a red sticker, then proceeded to go out in every session and cut up novice riders and generally act the prick. Marshals didn't give a fook.

Nobody cut him up or did anything according to the original post. He should complain and try get his money back because other people were faster?

For a first time person out on track a perfectly good and safe pass can be frightening as you aren't used to it.

To the OP - the first trackday of the year will usually be loaded with race bikes. A weekday one just before or after a race weekend is usually quieter. The training day would be a good thing to try also

• Advertisement

The first recommendation I have for you is to try and get your hands on a copy of Keith codes 'a twist of the wrist part 2' and the DVD to go with it. Read it, and watch it till you understand it. It did wonders for my riding. Then, if you can stretch to it, get dome proper on track training, I did a day at Ron haslams race school as part of a weekend away at the world superbikes and it was incredible.

With regards to fellas with race bikes, don't be intimidated, everyone started as a beginner at some stage, and a lot of fellas on track bikes are using them because they love track riding so much, they couldn't bear to damage their road bike if an accident were to happen.

Ride at you own pace, don't be afraid to ask questions, but be warned,you could end up down a very deep rabbit hole like myself, taking the bike abroad to ride tracks like motorland aragon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvAKj6XMLxI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Everyone is bricking it their first few times, I must have went to the jacks about ten times before I ever did my first lap of mondello!

How did you go about getting to Aragon? Ship the bike? Would love to get to that track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Good luck with that.........

In fairness, I did the trackday training last year (and found it HUGELY beneficial and confidence inspiring with a lot of track time on the day) and when it looked like my bike was going to take a poop due to carb issues (thankfully it seemed to come right enough), they assured me that they'd look after me whether it meant coming back another day etc. Financials last year prevented me from going on a trackday proper but I'm hoping to attend a few this year.

batman_oh wrote: »
    Nobody cut him up or did anything according to the original post. He should complain and try get his money back because other people were faster?

For a first time person out on track a perfectly good and safe pass can be frightening as you aren't used to it.

To the OP - the first trackday of the year will usually be loaded with race bikes. A weekday one just before or after a race weekend is usually quieter. The training day would be a good thing to try also

Did you actually read what I posted - seems not.

This guy paid for one set of sessions - went out in all 3. Taking the piss.

The marshals were only supposed to allow bikes with the correct colour sticker to go out in each session, they waved this guy out each time no questions asked. They did stop others.

This guy was supposed to be in the Fast group - he went out in the Intermediate and Novice groups as well, most of whom had never been on a track before (I'd been on track days before, but not in the dry, so stuck with the Novice.) That's also taking the piss.

There's no point saying you are splitting people up into groups based on ability and then allowing certain people, friends of the organisers or whatever, to just do whatever the hell they like. You are not a lesser being just because you're going out in the novice group and that sort of attitude from the organisers is really unhelpful.

Scrap the cap!

Did you actually read what I posted - seems not.

This guy paid for one set of sessions - went out in all 3. Taking the piss.

The marshals were only supposed to allow bikes with the correct colour sticker to go out in each session, they waved this guy out each time no questions asked. They did stop others.

This guy was supposed to be in the Fast group - he went out in the Intermediate and Novice groups as well, most of whom had never been on a track before (I'd been on track days before, but not in the dry, so stuck with the Novice.) That's also taking the piss.

There's no point saying you are splitting people up into groups based on ability and then allowing certain people, friends of the organisers or whatever, to just do whatever the hell they like. You are not a lesser being just because you're going out in the novice group and that sort of attitude from the organisers is really unhelpful.

Did you read what you wrote yourself? This stuff happened to you and not to the guy that posted. You advised him to complain and look for a refund. So every1 should get a refund based on what happened to you years ago? Awesome.
    Will ring them tomorrow about the ones I did

I think the only thing the organisers could have done better was ask if I had done any track training when I booked.

They did offer to bring me back for a training day instead without me even asking, fair play

Did you read what you wrote yourself? This stuff happened to you and not to the guy that posted.

This is a discussion forum, people add their own experiences to the discussion.
    You advised him to complain and look for a refund.

Which he's now got (well, another day at no cost.)
    So every1 should get a refund based on what happened to you years ago? Awesome.
    Will ring them tomorrow about the ones I did

Didn't say that.
    Were the ones you went to completently organised? Yes? Good.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

You hit the nail on the head Batman. All trackdays until mid April will be full of racers dialing their new bikes in for the racing season ahead. A midweek trackday during the summer will be a completely different experience as the novice group will generally be that - road bike riders who have little track experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

I think the only thing the organisers could have done better was ask if I had done any track training when I booked.

They did offer to bring me back for a training day instead without me even asking, fair play
    You weren't on a silver cbr 600 f by any chance ?

Will it still be like this on the 30th of March? I'm going to be going to that one. Anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Zascar wrote: »
    Will it still be like this on the 30th of March? I'm going to be going to that one. Anyone else?

Don't worry about the other bikes , have a word with the instructors and they / we will look after you . The reason I asked was the lad was he on the 600f was I spotted him on the first session , picked him up on track and tried to get him to follow me , was going to have a word but one of the instructors had got there before me . From reading this thread you'd think all we done was run lads into the gravel :eek: seriously a race prepped aprilia 125 ! Doubt it would be out in inter / advanced in fairness !

Advertisement