Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats not at himself?

• 01-03-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

My cat appears to be having some problems tonight, not sure what to do with him. He is 1 year old or there abouts, At night he stays in the house but during the day we leave the little window in the toilet open so he can come and go as he pleases. Outside we also have a bed for him in the kids play house, so usually if he's not inside he can be found in the kids play house.

So I went out tonight to find him, usually 1 call and he comes, but I stood shouting and shouting no wouldn't come, went out to the playhouse and he was in the bed curled up looking at me, I told him to come in but no wouldn't get up, so I went to lift him and he hissed at me which is totally unlike him, in the end I carried him in the bed into the house and set him down but still no movement, I then went to get him his food but when I came back he had got up and moved into his basket he has inside, sat the food down not interested at all, I went back to him 30 mins later food still sitting, I stoked him and again he hissed, it seems to be when I touch him on 1 side its annoying him.

Any advice what to do? As I say usually when he is inside he's running mad around the place but he is just lying there lifeless and uninterested. I am thinking maybe some sort of bug and he wants to be left alone, or he has had a run in with someone or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think you need to take him to the vet. It sounds as if he's in pain, hope it's nothing too serious, cats are very good at hiding illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Definitely sounds like he's in pain, and cats can hide a huge amount of pain.
    We had one walked home with a broken leg, dragging it behind him, he even jumped on the sofa with it, please bring him to a vet, he could be seriously injured or sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Sounds like he might have been in a fight with another cat and is in shock. He might also be wounded but it's not that visible.

Cats can get lacerations which they might clean up a bit and so they go unnoticed under their fur. But they can be nasty and run the risk of infection. When he has settled a bit take definitely him to the vets.

It's also kitten season. So there is a lot of fighting between male cats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭daveyboynire

I think he is in shock. He stays in the living room at nights, I went in this morning and he came over to me, walking fine etc but he is still not at himself, I checked him over no cut or anything that I can see but he's very quiet, not his usual self, he headed outside this morning again so will keep an eye on him. I suspect he has had a run in with another cat.

I think he is in shock. He stays in the living room at nights, I went in this morning and he came over to me, walking fine etc but he is still not at himself, I checked him over no cut or anything that I can see but he's very quiet, not his usual self, he headed outside this morning again so will keep an eye on him. I suspect he has had a run in with another cat.

Might just be the shock. But keep an eye on it. I don't want to labour the point, but make sure to check his underbelly, particularly the upper leg to see if there are any lacerations. If a cat was fighting and was losing, he'd be on his back with the dominant cat clawing at his underbelly. Cats claws are full of bacteria and even the slightest cut or claw incision can cause an infection. Vets will be able to spot these things pretty quickly.

It doesn't sound like he's too badly off and he's on the mend, but do have another thorough check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

He is not eating and hissing in pain would not suggest to me that he is on the mend.... just saying!

We are having chicken and roast beef for lunch today, I'll give him some of that, if he doesn't eat that I'll know for sure somethings up as he usually licks the plate clean

I had one of mine at the vet last Wednesday, we couldn't see a mark on him but he was limping and his leg had swollen. The vet went through his fur and showed me a fair few puncture marks from fighting. The thing is it can be anything. A few years ago one of ours was very subdued and we didn't think much of it for a few days, but he stopped eating and we took him to the vet straight away. Thank God we did as he had a massive temperature and if we'd left it another few days we could have lost him. Now I just don't take the risk, I hadn't realised how good they are at hiding pain and illness until it reaches crisis point.

He is not eating and hissing in pain would not suggest to me that he is on the mend.... just saying!

Wasn't that last night? Just saying etc.

Our vet doesn't open on Sundays so will have to wait until tomorrow, but he has just had his chicken and roast beef and did indeed clear his bowl, he might also be sick of looking at Felix hence the not eating it

• Advertisement

Our vet doesn't open on Sundays so will have to wait until tomorrow, but he has just had his chicken and roast beef and did indeed clear his bowl, he might also be sick of looking at Felix hence the not eating it

If he stays out of character, slow and lethargic, as Pumpkinseeds said, he might well have an infection. Check for lumps/swelling on legs etc.

How is your cat doing? I hope alls well.

How is your cat doing? I hope alls well.

Yes he seems to be back to his mad old self today, last I seen of him he was eyeing up a magpie in the back garden :) He is eating his food again and seems fine, I think he had a run in with someone or something which give him a shock.

Yes he seems to be back to his mad old self today, last I seen of him he was eyeing up a magpie in the back garden :) He is eating his food again and seems fine, I think he had a run in with someone or something which give him a shock.

Good to hear. But I'm sure you'll be keeping an eye on him for a few days. We had a 3 week period nursing our tom back to full health. He was ripped to pieces after a scrap. If he was a wild cat he'd would have been a goner. Hopefully toughens them up albeit minus one of the lives : )

They can certainly do each other an awful lot of damage. One of our chaps is very submissive to the other 3 when he's indoors but he's an absolute alley cat outdoors. I think it's because he spent most of his 2 year old life on the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I suspect he has had a run in with another cat.

Make sure you take him to the vet in a few weeks and have him tested for feline AIDS (FIV) and feline Leukaemia (FeLV), as both can be transmitted through bites and scratches in cat fights.

Advertisement