Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a bank have to notify you of a loan or outstanding balance?

Options
  • 01-03-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I opened an AIB account, probably 13 years ago. I stopped using it about 7 years ago and it turns out I had a couple hundred owing on it. Now they say I owe them €400 but I have NEVER received any statement about it. The address is still the same. Can they charge me interest if I forgot it was there?

This all happened around the time my ex husband had hurt his back and was out of work. I took out a 5k loan and then when I realised I could not pay it back I talked to the bank manager who said the best idea was to take out another 5k loan to pay the old one back. At the time I was under stress and honestly thought he knew what he was doing so I did that. I thought I had paid it off but turns out I had not. I never received any statement about it either and now they say I owe over €12k!

I know you can blame me for not remembering and so on but at the time, I honestly am surprised I even came out of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Before you speak to anyone in the bank, get advice from a solicitor. Please do not admit the loan in any way until you speak to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Drailen

infosys wrote: »
    Before you speak to anyone in the bank, get advice from a solicitor. Please do not admit the loan in any way until you speak to a solicitor.

I am paying money off it though they said I had to :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Drailen wrote: »
    I am paying money off it though they said I had to :/

Just for other people who may come across this thread there is a statute of limitations in Ireland in relation to civil cases, in debt collection its 6 years. If a person during or after that time accepts the debt (by for example paying) then the time limit starts again.

A solicitor would have costs a few euro and may have saved thousands, FLAC is free, citizens advice is free and MABS is free.

Go to MABS and solicitor.

Also don't trust the advice of a person who has something to gain from what you do. That is I spoke because the Garda told me it would be better, the bank guy told me, the politician told me. Sorry for your troubles.

Advertisement