Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord trying to sell the house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

We are in a similar situation 18 months now & trust me having people walk around the house every week for 18 months is very stressful. Its well & good to say just refuse to view but in our case we need a good reference from EA when we leave & we also get rent allowance so actually the EA calls the shots in our case. We have 2 small kids who get very upset with the viewings as sometimes other kids come in & sit on their beds or play with their toys etc. On the otherhand if we go out for the viewings we have the worry that the place is being scoped out for a robbery. If you can move out I would recommend that but if the house is sellable then a sale mightnt take too long. The house i rent is overpriced so is not selling but we still have all the viewings :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

weisses wrote: »
    Got it

He has every right to sell of course Was informed last week of his intend but have the first viewing tomorrow already... Now Im not to fuzzy about people coming to the house so now and then ... but am not planning my life around viewings either :D

Thanks for the helpful info regarding refusing the viewings, its not something i would do but good to know anyway

Make sure also that the estate agent does not enter the property while you are away to show people around without your knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

Thank you all so much for your help. I have a feeling the landlord doesn't know the things you've pointed out or else he thinks we wouldn't know. The fact that I'm now in control has taken the stress out of it. I just went through my lease and it's a standard set term lease. Does this mean he's not allowed sell the house with us still in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    We are in a similar situation 18 months now & trust me having people walk around the house every week for 18 months is very stressful. Its well & good to say just refuse to view but in our case we need a good reference from EA when we leave & we also get rent allowance so actually the EA calls the shots in our case. We have 2 small kids who get very upset with the viewings as sometimes other kids come in & sit on their beds or play with their toys etc. On the otherhand if we go out for the viewings we have the worry that the place is being scoped out for a robbery. If you can move out I would recommend that but if the house is sellable then a sale mightnt take too long. The house i rent is overpriced so is not selling but we still have all the viewings :(

A viewing a week for 18 months is massively taking the piss. If you dont like it then put a stop to it; RA or not the agent holds no aces here. Tell them that you will accomodate a 2 hour window once a month in return for a rent reduction; if they dont like that then let them deal with an empty house until it is sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

He can sell the house with you in it and new owner is who you pay rent to - happens all the time in commercial properties.

He can also give you notice as per lease terms is house is sold. Legals can take 6-8 weeks so you'll get 2 months notice assuming the lease allows this.

As for 3 viewings in 2 weeks - I'd be looking for another estate agent! That's a poor response ' possibly the house is not in a prime family home area?

Agree with ll or agent a fixed time for viewings once a week such as 6-7 on a Thursday or 12-1on a Saturday. One hour a week is reasonable and if it's fixed you can plan around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

skeptik wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for your help. I have a feeling the landlord doesn't know the things you've pointed out or else he thinks we wouldn't know. The fact that I'm now in control has taken the stress out of it. I just went through my lease and it's a standard set term lease. Does this mean he's not allowed sell the house with us still in it?

Well he can still sell the house, but your lease is still completely valid for the term period set out in the lease as long as you've done nothing to breach said lease. That being said it would mean the new buyer would have to be full cash as no bank will give a mortgage without vacant possession.

And again, you are under no obligation whatsoever to allow for sale viewings while you're in tenancy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sandin wrote: »
    He can sell the house with you in it and new owner is who you pay rent to - happens all the time in commercial properties.

Doesn't happen very often with residential properties- as no lender will give a mortgage to a purchaser, unless they have vacant possession of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

Doesn't happen very often with residential properties- as no lender will give a mortgage to a purchaser, unless they have vacant possession of the property.

What does vacant possession mean? No tenants is it? The house we're renting is for sale so in order for a potentional buyer to get mortgage would we be required to move out or how does an EA sell a house with tenants?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    What does vacant possession mean? No tenants is it? The house we're renting is for sale so in order for a potentional buyer to get mortgage would we be required to move out or how does an EA sell a house with tenants?

An EA does not normally sell a property with sitting residential tenants.
    Normally- the tenants would be forced to vacate the premises (with appropriate notice) before a purchaser could draw down finances for the sale.
    Of course- if it is a cash-sale, this wouldn't be an issue (however, few landlords would buy a property with cash- as the major expense they can write off against rental income is 75% of mortgage interest.

Its quite usual for sitting tenants to stay put in commercial lettings- less normal in residential scenarios.

Advertisement