Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to say in letter of condolence?

• 02-03-2014 6:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

15 year ago, I knew a woman in college. I haven't spoken to her in a long time. Her husband died recently. I would like to write to her to offer my condolences. Other than "He was a nice a guy" and "It's a shame", what does one say?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Just keep it simple and say you are sorry for her loss and you are thinking of her at this time. Don't go down the 'it's gods will' etc etc route as that could be the last thing she wants to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

What she said - keep it simple. ''Thinking of you at this difficult time'' in a card, maybe a comment on the husband being a good man if you knew him. That's probably all that's needed if you haven't seen her in 15 years - I wouldn't be inclined to write a big long letter if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Oh dear!! wrote: »
    15 year ago, I knew a woman in college. I haven't spoken to her in a long time. Her husband died recently. I would like to write to her to offer my condolences. Other than "He was a nice a guy" and "It's a shame", what does one say?

This is a lovely idea by you. Firstly I'd ask you to include your contact details as you never know when she may like to make personal contact with you just for a chat :)

My Loving Dad (now Resting in Peace) passed away on 20th December 2013 (see here). Just this very morning another card arrived in our door from someone nearby with words inside that had me in tears on reading.

They just spoke of my Loving Dad as he was; how they always think of him every day since his passing; what he used to do for them without a seconds' thought; how he was personally and how his Great Nature just shone through always. It was beautiful :)

If you knew her late husband - you can say a few personal words about him; you should say how you are thinking of her; ask if their is anything you can do for her; to make contact if she needs to talk about anything, at any time (important I feel).

Numerous cards with special personal words inside were posted to me in my work-place from people I would have interactions with through work and all so different and sweet. It really is the thought that counts at this time. All cards will be kept and looked through for some time to come. Each are unique and meaningful so just speak from the Heart and incl a way for her to make contact if you can.

Hope that helps,
    It's a Lovely Thought,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

I never know what to say so I just give the bereaved a nice mass card

Advertisement