Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cgminer crashing with 2 video cards

Options
  • 02-03-2014 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but recently picked up an MSI R280X gaming card, already had an EAH6950 Direct CuII which was mining on Scrypt at about 450khs, when I put the 280x in the slot that the 6950 had been and moved 6950 down a slot all seemed fine until I ran cgminer...

Runs fine for about 30 seconds then get message of "driver has recovered" or some such, another few minutes later cgminer crashes.

I've a 1000w PSU so don't think that's the issue, have setup the batch file to apply settings to each card so amn't really sure what's causing the issue.

Prior to crash the 6950 only seems to be putting out about 70khs so I'm not sure if it's an issue with the motherboard or something daft that I'm overlooking.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Al

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KarlNedCarew

The problem with it could be that both cards require different "gpu threads" inputs.

The 6950 runs best off of 1, but the 7970/280x needs 2 just to run properly afaik.

If you want to stick with cgminer you can run both cards on 2 gpu threads and try and find good settings for the 6950 with 2 threads. Cgminer only allows for one input for gpu threads.

If you're willing to change software you can use sgminer. It runs off of the same commands as cgminer but allows multiple inputs for the gpu thread command. I've found it runs better than cgminer anyway.

On a side note I'd also recommend using cgwatcher as it can be set to monitor and restart both cgminer and sgminer and we all know downtime is a killer for mining. :cool:

It could also be that cgminer is recognising the cards in the opposite order than you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

The problem with it could be that both cards require different "gpu threads" inputs.

The 6950 runs best off of 1, but the 7970/280x needs 2 just to run properly afaik.

If you want to stick with cgminer you can run both cards on 2 gpu threads and try and find good settings for the 6950 with 2 threads. Cgminer only allows for one input for gpu threads.

If you're willing to change software you can use sgminer. It runs off of the same commands as cgminer but allows multiple inputs for the gpu thread command. I've found it runs better than cgminer anyway.

On a side note I'd also recommend using cgwatcher as it can be set to monitor and restart both cgminer and sgminer and we all know downtime is a killer for mining. :cool:

It could also be that cgminer is recognising the cards in the opposite order than you would think.

Sadly I've still had no joy with this, can get both cards to run in cgminer & sgminer with basic batch file but once the 6950's intensity is put even to 12 it craps itself after about 30 seconds.

I don't have the 6950 connected to a screen or have dummy connectors attached, is it possible that this would be the cause?

It's extremely irritating as I could be getting another 400+khs from that card if I could just figure out what I'm doing wrong lol.

Advertisement