Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Haul Flight with 2 Year Old

Options
  • 02-03-2014 7:47am
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone!

Sorry if this has been posted before but I did a search and nothing seems to totally answer my question.

My parents are organising a family holiday in May to Malaga and they're bringing myself and the hubby and our son. My son will be 2 yrs and 8 months at that stage and I'm just wondering what the craic is with seating in the plane. Last time we were out there he was only 8 months old and sat on my knee with a lap belt.

This time he's required to have his own seat but I can't help but feel that he'll be completely tiny in it - how will the seatbelt work? I can't imagine we'd be expected to bring his car seat on to the plane - it's a brittax first class plus - I don't know how they'd expect us to fit it on. I've heard of 'plane friendly' car seats but there's no way I can afford to buy another seat (the only reason we're able to go away at all is because my parents are treating us) Has anyone else been in this situation and what did you do?

Another thing I'm a bit unsure of is the whole toilet issue. My son is potty trained and he's just started to use the toilet with one of those booster seat things on it (from time to time, he's still fairly nervous of it). For the flight I'm planning on putting a pair of the pull-ups on him in case we can't get to a loo. However, he really doesn't like peeing in them, he'll tell us he needs to go and gets really upset if a potty is not forthcoming. I was thinking of bringing one of those 'potette' potty/toilet seats on the plane with us - it'll be small enough to fit in a carry-on bag - and if we manage to get out of the seat between in flight service, then bring him to the loo and use that. Again, if any parent has done this I'd really appreciate some advice. This might sound stupid but are airplane toilets the same size as regular toilets? I don't want to sit him on it and have the seat slipping all over the place, he'd be traumatised!

Sorry for the long post, just hoping to plan ahead and make the journey as stress-free as possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

You can get a booster cushion thing for the seat if you're concerned but you do have to buy them yourself. If it's Ryanair they don't let you bring your car seat on the plane. We never bothered with anything though, just fastened the belt loosely around them when the signs were on and for take off and landing asked for one of the infant seatbelts and just put them on one of our laps.

For the toilet thing, May is a wee while away, if I were you I'd focus on getting your little one comfortable with using a normal toilet seat by then- you've already done the hard yards getting them trained, it's only a small thing and it will be invaluable when you're travelling, going to restaurants etc. Think about it, do you really want to be going around with a used toilet seat in your bag, putting it on public toilets and then back in your bag?

Enjoy your holiday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I have a travel potty and it's only there for trips to the park, etc. it's very small and a bag with an absorbent pad is hooked onto the frame. Child does wee or poo and immediately the bag can be tied closed with any wipes and put into a bag, just like a nappy bag. Worth while if it gives you piece of mind but you may not use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Also have the potette and it's great. It could actually be used on the seat itself, if there was a time issue getting to the loo, as December2012 says they have the bag inserts which are v handy. I'd bring one anyway, you would find it useful abroad too for putting on the loos in Malaga anyway. You could always check the fit on the toilet when you get on the plane so you'll know if it slips around too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I wouldn't bother with either a car or toilet seat. The lap belt will be fine and you'll find once on the air he'll be climbing all over the seats anyway, the car seat will only get in the way then and become an irritant. The toilets will be smaller than at home and it will be like an adventure using s plane toilet,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If there was severe turbulence, a lap belt would not keep a small child in the seat. I know it's only a small possibility of this happening but I'm a worrier! I bought the CARES plane seat belt on Amazon to use on long haul flights and find it great. You put it over the back of the seat and the shoulder straps attach on the the seat belt. It puts my mind at ease and also helps to keep her in the seat when she is sitting down. I used it on a short aer lingus flight and was told by the attendant that they actually give them out for young kids now so if you are flying with them you can ask for one.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks for all the advice guys! Definitely no way I'll be bringing a car seat on the plane with me, there's no way I could carry it through the airport. I just had a look at the CARES seat belt thing, it looks great. Going to give Aer Lingus a buzz and see are they available on my flight, if not I'll be buying one of them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'd be far more worried on how to keep your son occupied for the duration of the flight. Kids get incredibly bored on a 2+ hour flight. There's also the issue of cabin pressure and the discomfort than can afford on take off and landing.

Books, toys and colouring last a very short time before he'll be bored witless. We really struggled through with that. The family beside us had an ipad with Peppa Pig on the go, even our kids ending up leaning over to watch that.

Those peppa pig (or whatever TV show will interest your child) magazines you can get in WH Smith at the airport are great. They usually have loads of stickers and a toy with them that keep the little ones entertained for a while. On her first flight my daughter covered the seat with the stickers but it kept her occupied for a good hour. Peeling them all off again wasn't so fun though! Have some treats on standby too to bring out when needed.

A few new apps and tv shows on your phone if you can and you're sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I went to the pound shop before a flight we went on. Bought a few new things and didnt bring them out until the plans so there was the novelty factor. The biggest hit was a small one of those etch a scetch things.
    iPad was another good one. 2 hours isn't too bad really, take off and landing almost use up half the journey!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'll have the ipad fully charged believe me! He's got his movies on that and I'll be getting him some dj style headphones (my sister has some and he's always trying them on). I don't think entertaining him will be a huge issue cos he has games etc and movies on the iPad and he loves colouring so we're getting him a few books. Luckily we've pre-booked our seats so my parents and sisters will be in the row behind and in front of us. I'd say the most difficult thing to explain is why there's no wifi at 30,000ft when he tries to get into YouTube!

Last time I flew with him I gave him calpol (on advice of my gp) just before takeoff and he was grand. He also had a soother at that stage so I'd say it helped. I was going to go with the calpol and a packet of Trebor soft mints this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Toots* wrote: »
    I'll have the ipad fully charged believe me! He's got his movies on that and I'll be getting him some dj style headphones (my sister has some and he's always trying them on). I don't think entertaining him will be a huge issue cos he has games etc and movies on the iPad and he loves colouring so we're getting him a few books. Luckily we've pre-booked our seats so my parents and sisters will be in the row behind and in front of us. I'd say the most difficult thing to explain is why there's no wifi at 30,000ft when he tries to get into YouTube!

Last time I flew with him I gave him calpol (on advice of my gp) just before takeoff and he was grand. He also had a soother at that stage so I'd say it helped. I was going to go with the calpol and a packet of Trebor soft mints this time.

Youtube, Games :eek: Do they develop that fast after hitting 2? My fella is 2 and 2 months, he loves his TV and Movies when we turn them on for him, I also use the Nexus 7 in the car for longer trips so we can throw on a movie for him but he wouldn't have a clue how to use one of these for games or youtube.
    I know they all develop at their own pace and what they are used to doing every day will influence them but is there that big a jump between 2 and 3, that is crazy, not sure I am ready to see him using youtube, I still see him as a baby. Suppose I better prepare myself, the time flies by too quick! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

So do they have to sit in their own seat during take off and landing?! Sure they wouldn't stay there? My eldest just gone two - could we put her on our knees for that bit and then have her in the seat during the flight? We've flown regularly with her but not since she turned two. We only have an hr flight and entertaining her is grand with stickers and iPad etc etc. I think the cares thing looks great on amazon but it's 80 quid and I'm skint - if we could have her on our knee I'd would be best. We'll also have our ten month old so will manage with one each so wouldn't need her seat as such only for convenience and the fact we have to..

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

tony1980 wrote: »
    Youtube, Games :eek: Do they develop that fast after hitting 2? My fella is 2 and 2 months, he loves his TV and Movies when we turn them on for him, I also use the Nexus 7 in the car for longer trips so we can throw on a movie for him but he wouldn't have a clue how to use one of these for games or youtube.
    I know they all develop at their own pace and what they are used to doing every day will influence them but is there that big a jump between 2 and 3, that is crazy, not sure I am ready to see him using youtube, I still see him as a baby. Suppose I better prepare myself, the time flies by too quick! :)
    My little fella is 19 months and navigates and plays youtube videos on android and apple phones/tablets. kids today I tell ya :confused:

He takes after his parents when it comes to gadgets. He's been playing the fisher price games on the iphone/ipad since he was able to hold one. He's just getting used to youtube but I'm trying to restrict access because there's no way to control what he sees on it. Netflix kids is great cos he can go on that and see his movies and if he switches out to another movie or program there's not going to be anything unsuitable.

I ended up phoning the special assistance on Aer Lingus to see exactly what the story would be with him in the seat. They told me they only supply the CARES harness on long haul flights so I'd have to get my own for this one. He is supposed to sit in his own seat for takeoff and landing. I balked at the price of the harness on Amazon, I also checked out buying them direct from the manufacturer but they wanted over $100 shipping charges for delivery to Ireland!!! :eek: I found it for £59.99 on a website called tinytottravellers.co.uk but I've just checked there now and it's no longer in stock. I'm not sure if they're never getting them in again or if it's just out of stock. I hope it's the latter :(

tony1980 wrote: »

My daughter is 2 years 3 months and she is well able to navigate on my phone and ipad and play games intended for toddlers without needing any help and has done this for ages now. She's also able to go into Skype and call her dad when he's at work as well as take numerous selfies daily!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭rey8px2m7altcs

My goodness them Cares harness are freaking expensive for hardly anything at all. I found that they cost £79 on Amazon.co.uk with free postage to Ireland. The item is also fullfilled by Amazon so you are fully protected and if it does not suit you can always get it refunded.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012E4FV8/

It is however the only FFA approved harness so it is a worthwhile investment. You could always resell after your child grows out of it. The link below is the official FAA site and even shows you a vid on how to install the harness which should help you.

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

Oh and my partners son just turned 5... yeah the lil bugger knows how to pay for things on google play, don't even get me started on the apps he finds for himself. Just a tip but it is a great way to teach your child to read. He asks me to find him a dinosaur game or something else, so I simply write the word on a sticky note and he has to figure out the letters. He is getting very good at spelling by typing everything in. He spends so much time on the letters that it really does sink in :)

Advertisement