Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PR for Melb Vic

Options
  • 02-03-2014 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

Has anyone recently gone for PR in Vic and done it themselves without using an agent, if so how much and how long did it take, we are looking to apply end of year and our Migration Agent is charging all up close to 10,000$

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

What visa are you looking to apply for?

I applied for the partner visa (820/801) two years ago. Cost just under $4,000 altogether. I had been quoted around $8k by an agent and it is nothing short of a money racket.

It is a fairly simple process as long as you are organised and the mark up by the agents is a joke.

I've just finished my 2 years bridging. So all I had to do was submit a few extra forms and await the decision on PR.

Also, immi have brought out a new process where you can apply online and add attachments as needed which makes it even easier

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Carter1986

We are on 457 now from my partners job and she's with them on the visa two years in Nov so we wanted to see how handy it is to do yourself rather than get bled dry from agents. I had a brief look online with the different levels of PR so just wondering cost and timeframe and if it is as easy to do for PR as people make out because the 457 was a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

I have a related question

i will be 2 years on 457 under my job

looking to get pr what are my options
    employer sponsored pr (why would they pay the fee again ??)
    self funded (8k thru an agent can i work anywhere ??)

have also heard you can get super back by leaving the country for a few weeks say to nz before you apply for pr and get it back before 65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

darcy07 wrote: »

have also heard you can get super back by leaving the country for a few weeks say to nz before you apply for pr and get it back before 65
    Only works if you've acquired IMMI approved tattoos!

Seriously someone less boozed up than I right now will reply with a reality based response at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Getting super back before you leave permanently isn't really a great idea, you get taxed heavily.
    I'd go the self-funded, yes you can work anywhere once the PR comes through. You don't necessarily need an agent. The paperwork isn't that hard to do, and an agent just speeds it up a bit. If you're not in a mad rush for it, do it yourself, it takes a little bit of time, but most of your questions can be answered here, on google, or with a 2 minute phonecall to IMMI. The only reason I can think of for using an agent is if you are appealing a decision, or if you do not read write and speak english fluently or as a 1st language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If you have a skills assessment and meet the points you have the choice, if you only got 2 years on a 457 then you sort have to use the Transition stream.

Basically costs the same anyway.

Employer sponsored (ENS) you can still work anywhere and at what ever you want. (Obviously you wouldn't leave the next day as it would look a bit fraudulent)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Employer sponsored (ENS) you can still work anywhere and at what ever you want. (Obviously you wouldn't leave the next day as it would look a bit fraudulent)

Technically, if you break a contract that made up part of the PR application by leaving, the employer could go to IMMI and cry fraud, and request to cancel the visa etc.
    But IMMI told me personally that they don't get involved otherwise. If you leave amicable its all good.

Mellor wrote: »
    Technically, if you break a contract that made up part of the PR application by leaving, the employer could go to IMMI and cry fraud, and request to cancel the visa etc.
    But IMMI told me personally that they don't get involved otherwise. If you leave amicable its all good.

Employers can't request for your visa to be cancelled that's just laughable, PR visas can only be cancelled by the Minister not DIBP. There is no obligation to stay with an employer on a 186 visa like you would on a 457, but if you left the very next day it would look as if you had no intention of taking up the position and so made a fraudulent application that's what I was told by an immigration employee off the record.

Employers can't request for your visa to be cancelled that's just laughable, PR visas can only be cancelled by the Minister not DIBP. There is no obligation to stay with an employer on a 186 visa like you would on a 457, but if you left the very next day it would look as if you had no intention of taking up the position and so made a fraudulent application that's what I was told by an immigration employee off the record.
    I was quoting from a conversation I had with immigration last week. It was through official channels, so I suppose it was on the record.

You are not stuck there as with a 457. (FWIW I am considering leaving my sponsoring employer right mow) But you have to at least make at genuine attempt to stay there for two years.
    I wasn't saying it was as simply as the employer asking to cancel it as he pleases. But if you don't start work there after being granted, or don't make a genuine attempt to fufill the contract, then they can report it to immigration and they might investigate if it was fraudulent.

http://www.visaaustralia.com.au/post/43941924904/can-my-employer-sponsored-visa-be-cancelled-or-revoked.

If its only the minister can cancel it. That's a pretty common legal technicality. Somebody from DIBP investigates, forms an opinion, and the formal request is made to the minister to cancel if they think it was fraud.

I think it comes down you your intentions when applying rather than staying there for the full time.

I left after 18 months but was already approved for citizenship so it was unlikely to be a problem, my brother-in-law is an ACO and his housemate works for DIBP and used to work at COE Parramatta and I have asked her outright about this before and she said that 3 months is a safe bet.

She said biggest problem with ENS was people sweetening employers with the brown envelope to get PR.

• Advertisement

It's been 4 months for me since approved. But leaving would pro tak 6 weeks plus. Im concerns that it's too short an attempt. But the company is relocating, and some other changes that are really going to affect me.

I'll be eligible for citizenship in 8 months I think

There no 2 year condition on a 186 visa, there is on a 187 but not on a 186.

Although there is likely going be some change to ENS in the near future what it is I don't know, but they already have pulled the old 1131 (Booklet 5) from the website in January. Booklet 5 has yet to be replaced with a revised edition so there is something pending, they are also recently reviewing the 457.

I wouldn't be surprised if the transition stream is removed from ENS visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

It's been 4 months for me since approved. But leaving would pro tak 6 weeks plus. Im concerns that it's too short an attempt. But the company is relocating, and some other changes that are really going to affect me.

I'll be eligible for citizenship in 8 months I think

Sounds like perfectly legitimate grounds to be cutting ties with the company.

I think so, but its very subjective.
    It's not exactly moving far, and its actually moving closer to home. But its just more awkward now.
    Anyway, the main thing is a new job lined up first, so it might not even happen any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Mellor, I handed in my notice after 5 wks of receiving my pr!! Was gone after 9 weeks of receiving it and there was no issue! Didn't give a crap about any moral ethics regarding intending to stay 2 years, my boss treated me like sh1t when I was sponsored so couldn't wait to leave!

Seeing as this has kind of turned into a general enquiry thread, I have one of my own.

Has anyone applied for PR recently on a partner visa? How long did it take to get approved?

The estimate times from IMMI are 12-16 months which is a bit ridiculous!

In Exile wrote: »
    The estimate times from IMMI are 12-16 months which is a bit ridiculous!
    A friend of mine did it recently.
    12-16 sounds about right.

A friend of mine did it recently.
    12-16 sounds about right.

12-16 months after the 2 years are up?

Christ. I was hoping for 6-12 weeks!

In Exile wrote: »
    12-16 months after the 2 years are up?

Christ. I was hoping for 6-12 weeks!
    Do you mean the two years before you can apply? (I thought it was 12 months)

You have to remember, processing times aren't strictly about to how long it might them to check the application. But rather the visa priority and/or quota they might have set. They could easily assess it within 6-12weeks. But they chose not to, basically.

Do you mean the two years before you can apply? (I thought it was 12 months)

2 years on a Temporary Provisional partner visa before you can apply for PR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Correct. Two years from lodgement of a successful application.
    If you are on an 820, it's automatic. You just get a letter in the post saying congratulations on your PR.

Citizenship next:)

That's the one. I've my 2 years penance done so just waiting on the PR now.

Only reason I really need it is I'm wokring for a bank and since they don't hire non residents full time, I am stuck on a contract with a recruitment agent eating a huge chunk of my wage until this comes through

Advertisement