Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the Stanley Cara really worth an extra 175eur than the Henley Achill?

• 02-03-2014 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

The title says it all.

I hear people saying that the cast iron of the Henley is poor compared with the Cara although they both look identical to me.

Any help to make up my mind? Should I pay the extra for the Cara?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I say this as i have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Galego wrote: »
    The title says it all.

I hear people saying that the cast iron of the Henley is poor compared with the Cara although they both look identical to me.

Any help to make up my mind? Should I pay the extra for the Cara?

You wouldn't be disappointed in anyway with the Henley. We fit at least 3/4 of these a week with no issues. AFAIK, they are made in the same factory in China. The days of Stanley being Irish built is gone, but the quality of both is exceptional none-the-less. I don't see where you get €175 worth of extras with the Cara tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Galego

I can seem to find anyone in Ireland who can independently compare these two insert stoves without being influenced by the brand. Nobody seems to be able to provide real evidence of why the Cara is a better stove than the Achill.
    By looks, they are the same. By output, they are the same. Same functions too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

I only have experience with the Cara and the big plus for me is sourcing spares. I bought ours secondhand and Stanley sent me out a new set of baffle plates, side plates, paint, ash tray and riddle tool.... all covered under warranty even though i was the second owner.. if parts are readily available for the henley then i'd consider it.. but my experience getting spares from stanley as been great.. think thats the main reason to go for say a stanley over a non brand sold for a couple of hundred..

this is our first winter with the cara and while it hasnt been a cold winter.. i'd say we have experienced way more heat and consumed far less fuel that when we had just an open fire there.. just make sure its fitted properly and you go for a non combustible fire surround and bobs your uncle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

I only have experience with the Cara and the big plus for me is sourcing spares. I bought ours secondhand and Stanley sent me out a new set of baffle plates, side plates, paint, ash tray and riddle tool.... all covered under warranty even though i was the second owner.. if parts are readily available for the henley then i'd consider it.. but my experience getting spares from stanley as been great.. think thats the main reason to go for say a stanley over a non brand sold for a couple of hundred..

this is our first winter with the cara and while it hasnt been a cold winter.. i'd say we have experienced way more heat and consumed far less fuel that when we had just an open fire there.. just make sure its fitted properly and you go for a non combustible fire surround and bobs your uncle

I fully agree about the fitting, it doesn't matter how good a stove is because if it is not fitted properly then it isn't worth a sh1te!

In terms of Achill spares, we get a delivery from Henley every week and if we need something asap, then it gets couriered to us. Never an issue.

Advertisement