Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-worker is monitoring me

Options
  • 02-03-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've recently learned that a colleague of mine is monitoring my movements in work by calling others and asking about where I am, how long I spent in certain areas, what I've been doing etc. We are both supervisors in the organisation, and the people that this person is calling to monitor me are the people that we're meant to be supervising. I am terrified basically. There is no explanation for this person's actions. Is it even legal? Can I formally complain? Help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Sounds like they are trying to build something (a case or something) against you.

I would be off toute suite to the next level in management and asking them what is going on, with out even blinking an eye.

If there is a problem, it should be coming down the line of management. Not from a peer colleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if it were me I would be in up in their face immediately. but probably best to approach your boss first.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is there any chance that they were simply looking for you about work matters, and you are away from your desk a lot?

If they really are monitoring you, do you think that you disappear from your desk a lot, take excessively long lunches / coffee runs? I don't agree with their course of action - but I think it's worth considering what is behind their actions

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭chefwes

It definatly sounds like they are trying to discredit you and by asking other lower level staff to monitor you and report on what your doing is definatly a case for bullying and gives the lower staff a bad impression of you . Definatly go and speak to somebody higher than you both and voice your concerns. If your job has a dignity at work policy I'm certain these issues would be covered in it. Do not challenge this person face to face as it gives them more ground to make complaints about you.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Why not approach them, in front of someone else, and say "Did you need me for something? I heard you were looking for me?"

They might be trying to build some sort of case against you, or they might be threatened by you, and how you go about your work... Doing a better job than them?

Innocently ask the question, and see what happens from there.

• Advertisement

It does sound like they're trying to get something incriminating against you. Do they have a reason to do so or possibly even suspect one? If so, you really need to stop whatever it is and approach either them or your higher-up management.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Can I ask why you say you are "terrified"? Surely if you are not doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to be terrified about? Are you skiving?! Are you dodging work, or up to something you shouldn't be?

If not, you have no reason to be "terrified". Some people love a bit of power, and let it go to their heads. They might feel that they are also YOUR supervisor, and need to keep tabs on you. If you are doing nothing out of the ordinary, and this person is acting the sergeant major, others will know what they are like. The fact that people have told you would make it seem they are on your side rather than theirs.

I'd still go down the route of asking them what they needed you for. It's letting them know, that you know what they're up to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Have a third party present if you talk to them so they can't misrepresent your conversation at a further date. They have already proven themselves to be underhand and seem to have an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Believe it or not this is also a form of bullying, however afford him the opportunity to respond to your claims, and if that does not work report him.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bakergirl91

Hi OP

I have alot of experience in this. You need to firstly be sure that they are watching you. Secondly, you need to speak to your management. It appears that they are trying to find evidence for something ? Has something occurred that they may have taken it up the wrong way? Dont get me wrong i am not condoning their behaviour, however there must be a reason.

Do not lose your temper and speak to to them out of frustration over the issue. As suggested by others above, have a third party present. If they are really out for you,and you have it out with them, then they may manipulate your words.

You say you are 'terrified'. Your well being in the workplace is clearly being affected. Do you feel that intimidated and threatened by them? If so, then i would report it to management. Dealing with it yourself may not be effective as you may not be able to communicate your awareness of the situation to them effectively due to the negative feelings you have. Ensure you write all incidences down.

There is some great advice above as well from others, so just ensure you really think about it, because how you handle it is essential to fixing the problem.

The best of luck !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Buy a couple of notebooks. Start keeping a written dated diary of each workday. Approach management and raise the concern. Note a summation of what was said immediately after the meeting and continue taking notes about any communications on the matter thereafter. Stay late / come in early some day and print off any emails related to performance / discipline / HR issues from the past while. Obtain a copy of your contract / staff handbook / relevant NDAs, etc. Read them and understand them and immediately cut out any non compliance. Get on top of your **** in work and stay on it the next while .

This is a lot of effort, but it's how you protect yourself in these situations. Fingers crossed you'll raise with management and it will be quickly sorted. But prepare yourself anyway. Best of luck.

Advertisement