Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Facing Garden

• 02-03-2014 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

I have a small north facing garden.

I'm looking for some suggestions on plants with a Japanese look.
    I have a beautiful Japanese maple with a flower bed around it.

Thanks,
    S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When you say it is north facing, how completely blocked off are the other directions? Does it get any east or west sun at all? How long has the maple been in? They are happy to grow in shade but don't like exposed or windy sites.

Plants that will grow in a northfacing garden tend to be the ones that naturally grow in shady places, woodland, sheltered banks etc. Ferns are an obvious choice and with careful planting you could achieve an interesting effect. There is a very interesting site here http://www.letsgogardening.co.uk/shade_loving_plants.htm that lists shade loving plants. I have berginias in an extremely gloomy spot that does not get any light at all, and they are great. In flower at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

Thanks for the reply and the link.

Yes it gets both east and west sun for the most part.

But the particular area that needs to be planted wouldn't get too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

I'm not been smart in any way,I googled" low light Japanese plants " and some lovely specimens popped up might be worth a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

I'm not been smart in any way,I googled" low light Japanese plants " and some lovely specimens popped up might be worth a look

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Epimedium Rubrum,a lovely colourfull low growing plant for shady north facing site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Go to crocus.co.uk and you can choose plants by aspect, soil type, style, light levels etc. it's a very handy website.

Advertisement