Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank grant

Options
  • 02-03-2014 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi. I'm in the process of upgrading my septic tank. i.e. Have a quote for €7200 to fit new tank percolation area reseed lawn and re do footpaths and anything else that needs to be made good from remedial work. I know there's a grant of €4000 which I can qualify for but there's a lengthy process of inspections and receipts for goods. I'm just wondering if I have the current system inspected as per rules for applying for grant will they insist on a set up that's more expensive than what I need thus canceling out what I would gain from the grant. Plus would they challenge the price I've been given. To cut a long story short would I be better off just going ahead on my own??

Comments

If by "cash" you mean no VAT payable, I think the forum rules would prevent anyone telling you to go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Be careful before committing to any remedial septic tank works. It was about a year ago I did a lot of research into this in relation to a potential house purchase (didn't complete sale).

I discovered at the time that the 'grant' isn't an automatic entitlement just because you have registered. I contacted Kerry CC and after a few attempts was informed that the only people who would qualify for the grant for septic tank works would be those that had (a) been inspected (houses would only be chosen at random) and (b) had failed.

This information was correct about a year / year and half ago. You cannot request an inspection. Properties will only be chosen at random. Only the properties that fail from these inspections will qualify for grant relief.

Ring the council and get clarification first before committing. 'Presuming' you qualify for a grant of 4k might be very different from the reality.
    I was very surprised when I found this information out - the septic tank registration fiasco seems to have been a somewhat deceptive set up.

Advertisement