Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank grant

Options
  • 02-03-2014 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi. I'm in the process of upgrading my septic tank. i.e. Have a quote for €7200 to fit new tank percolation area reseed lawn and re do footpaths and anything else that needs to be made good from remedial work. I know there's a grant of €4000 which I can qualify for but there's a lengthy process of inspections and receipts for goods etc. I'm just wondering if I have the current system inspected as per rules for applying for grant will they insist on a set up that's more expensive than what I need thus canceling out what I would gain from the grant. Plus would they challenge the price I've been given. To cut a long story short would I be better off just going ahead on my own??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Has your tank failed the council inspection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 slemon123

No it hasn't but it will. It's not working at all well. That's why I need to get it done. To qualify for the grant you must have it inspected and failed to go ahead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You would be better of waiting for the inspection,then consider using a registered contractor and claiming the grants.You would probably get a better price in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Are you in a high risk area? I looked into this recently as mine is also old and wouldn't, I suspect, pass the inspection. But I discovered that you can't get the grant unless your tank has failed, but they are only inspecting in high risk areas. As I am not in such an area and wont therefore be inspected I don't qualify.

According to an article in the Echo they are only inspecting 99 tanks in Co Cork.

Advertisement