Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed limit R132 Dundalk

Options
  • 02-03-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Received a penalty points notification for doing 59 kph in an alleged 50kph zone, effectively somewhere between DkIT entrance and the Xerox roundabout. AFAIK the speed limit there is 60kph as the 60kph zone starts way down towards the Malthouse pub. Anyone else able to confirm? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why not take a drive up and check to be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Did yesterday, but now doing a sanity check :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

I just went for a wee google man walk and it shows the limit changes outside the old carroll factory..... southbound 60km northbound 50km. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Received a penalty points notification for doing 59 kph in an alleged 50kph zone, effectively somewhere between DkIT entrance and the Xerox roundabout. AFAIK the speed limit there is 60kph as the 60kph zone starts way down towards the Malthouse pub. Anyone else able to confirm? Cheers.

Xerox roundabout? I'm out of the town for a while now, do you mean the Xerox junction? edit I forgot the roundabout at the Mullaharlin/Chapel Rd :o

As an (ex)resident in the Xerox area specifically the townland of Crumlin it is amazing the amount of speeding fines at this point - it is because the speed limit changes in quite a short distance/warning. It is to do with the unused entrance to the Xerox site and bus bay. The issue has been flagged with the council on numerous occaisons but to no avail, i'd assume 'cause that stretch of road is a bit of a cash cow. But at the end of the day drivers are supposed to be alert enough to be aware of speed limit changes and then stay under the limit - on 3 occaisons though I have witnessed collisions as a driver stands on the breaks realising the speed limit change but the driver behind not being so attentive!

Another reason for the amount of speeding offences in this area too imo is that the quality of the road eg dual carriage, doesnt equate to the 50km speedlimit, people get caught out.

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Xerox roundabout? I'm out of the town for a while now, do you mean the Xerox junction? edit I forgot the roundabout at the Mullaharlin/Chapel Rd :o

As an (ex)resident in the Xerox area specifically the townland of Crumlin it is amazing the amount of speeding fines at this point - it is because the speed limit changes in quite a short distance/warning. It is to do with the unused entrance to the Xerox site and bus bay. The issue has been flagged with the council on numerous occaisons but to no avail, i'd assume 'cause that stretch of road is a bit of a cash cow. But at the end of the day drivers are supposed to be alert enough to be aware of speed limit changes and then stay under the limit - on 3 occaisons though I have witnessed collisions as a driver stands on the breaks realising the speed limit change but the driver behind not being so attentive!

Another reason for the amount of speeding offences in this area too imo is that the quality of the road eg dual carriage, doesnt equate to the 50km speedlimit, people get caught out.

Drumlin is 60kmh limit not 50. It is more than adequately signed in both directions and with sufficient warning distance. The fact so many get caught is down simply to speedng drivers. I regularly encounter cars doing 80 on that stretch. Cash cow maybe but only because people keep ignoring the signed speed lmits. I think op is referring to Xerox junction to DKIT which is 50.

• Advertisement

Drumlin is 60kmh limit not 50. It is more than adequately signed in both directions and with sufficient warning distance. The fact so many get caught is down simply to speedng drivers. I regularly encounter cars doing 80 on that stretch. Cash cow maybe but only because people keep ignoring the signed speed lmits. I think op is referring to Xerox junction to DKIT which is 50.

I agree! But limits were changed and additional signage went up as the roundabout was added. I dont see the point in flogging it on as more often than not I end up sitting beside the cars that have whizzed past at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Its 60 just before the malthouse indeed and remains to be so all the way up until you reach 80 approaching the fairways.

there are no signs saying 50 from the malthouse onwards, next sign is actually 80 approaching fairways. I travel this road all the time and im a learner driver and my driver instructor would let me know if doing 60 was a problem.

Nesta99 wrote: »

Yes - sorry it's the xerox junction rather than roundabout. Cheers for the reply though

Is it not 60 the whole way from the Malthouse out to the 80 heading for the fairways as Onesimus says? Should clarify I'm talking specifically out bound and the R132

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Is it not 60 the whole way from the Malthouse out to the 80 heading for the fairways as Onesimus says? Should clarify I'm talking specifically out bound and the R132

It goes up to 60 at Ladywell and is so until south side of traffic lights into Xerox on R132 (Castlebellingham) road. If you were recorded at 59 kmh outside Dkit ex Carroll's factory then you're inside posted speed limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

speed van is now a regular feature parked outside the the old filling station opposite pj carrolls, especially dark evenings.

blingrhino wrote: »
    speed van is now a regular feature parked outside the the old filling station opposite pj carrolls, especially dark evenings.

Damn Spooks!

Good for them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Puzzled as to why you got this fine. Was out that way today since I originally read this thread this morning and as other posters have already said, the limit goes from 50 to 60 at the Ladywell Shrine, remains at 60 until past the Xerox junction, and then goes to 80 just past the Dublin Rd entrance to Xerox itself.

The Google streetview images are out of date now (April/May 2009). They show signs indicating 50 on the town side of the Xerox junction before the Texaco filling station as you head into town. These signs aren't there anymore, plus the current signs at Ladywell weren't there in 2009.

Will you challenge this fine?

I have a suspicion about this. OP exactly what location was cited on the fine, as you were quite vague and just referred to it "effectively" being in an area. What precisely was the address given?

I have a suspicion about this. OP exactly what location was cited on the fine, as you were quite vague and just referred to it "effectively" being in an area. What precisely was the address given?

Address given as R132, Mullagharlin, Dundalk, Louth.

Btw checked with both traffic corps and town council and they both say 60kph

Will you challenge this fine?

Have done, so now waiting to see.

Thats definitely a 60kph area then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Have done, so now waiting to see.

Let us know how you get on, thanks. I'd guess you have a good chance of overturning this in light of the info you got from both the traffic corps & the town council.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

Thats definitely a 60kph area then :D

They should now issue photographic evidence of alleged offence.

• Advertisement

Success!! Just got an email saying they had confirmed the speed limit as I had stated and that the fine would be revoked. Pays to question these things. Thanks to all here who offered helpful opinions.

Advertisement