Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba Laptop Stolen from House

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Looks like they dont use gmail (not many use email nowadays) as htey are logged in.

Depending on your google setting if you log in you can see your browser history. Chances are they have logged into their own facebook page.

As its a mobile wifi device its a longshot the gaurds will get it. after a search warrent is executed chances are the LT is in a neighbours house or apt is quite high

You these tools to identify the theif yourself. Facebook gets everybody caught because people in general are stupid. Time is against you though. get into you google history NOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Looks like they dont use gmail (not many use email nowadays) as htey are logged in.

Depending on your google setting if you log in you can see your browser history. Chances are they have logged into their own facebook page.

As its a mobile wifi device its a longshot the gaurds will get it. after a search warrent is executed chances are the LT is in a neighbours house or apt is quite high

You these tools to identify the theif yourself. Facebook gets everybody caught because people in general are stupid. Time is against you though. get into you google history NOW

That's a great point. OP, enable web history on your google account if you have not done so already. You will then be able to browse the web search history of anyone logged into your gmail account. It might give up some other useful information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Any update, i love a good who done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DarrenJ

zarquon wrote: »
    That's a great point. OP, enable web history on your google account if you have not done so already. You will then be able to browse the web search history of anyone logged into your gmail account. It might give up some other useful information.

I have took a look through the Gmail settings and can't find how to do it.

I use Mozilla Firefox as Google Chrome was slow on the LT.

Only my desktop's IP address has logged into my Gmail account in the last day so maybe they have it up for sale or realise they need rid of it.

Any update, i love a good who done it.
    Three won't give the name of the person using the IP address that accessed my emails to the Gardaí so they have sent the address to the CS (Criminal Security?) Trace headquarters in Dublin to see who it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

How can this be tracked? Im assuming the OP has automatically set up login to gmail?

Christ, I'll never get around to it, safe to keep laptops in and dropbox pictures, files etc, Ive loads of files and pictures.
    I should be taking images of Sr no.s and MAC addresses, maybe Im getting paranoid.

Not sure how people are suggesting this could be traced via facebook.

Whats a good way to track a laptop? phone I could see it being done, even without the sim in, or if it was unlocked from security settings, if thats possible, but a laptop?

plenty of software available to install as a precaution (see lojack). long/latt from ip address gives a good location. use your facebook to cross reference friends of friends and a chance you will come up lucky. EVERYTHING is traceable but when this type of thing is reported the chances of getting it back are slim as the garda and 3 have a process to follow.
    You will always get quicker results your self if your a bit tech savvy

Best thing is the mac address. although you cant track it as such in some cases it can be located in a netgwork. this is where its always good to have mates in o2/voda etc.

I had a mate who had his laptop taken in very similar circumstances in his house. long story is the g/f of his lodger had it.
    it was so simple as she tethered her laptop from her registered pre pay and bingo. stung with her number.

The other side of storing stuff on google drive or dropbox etc you also must make sure you log out from these services EVERY time

OP - if you want backtrack 5 r3 is a useful tool

plenty of software available to install as a precaution (see lojack). long/latt from ip address gives a good location. use your facebook to cross reference friends of friends and a chance you will come up lucky. EVERYTHING is traceable but when this type of thing is reported the chances of getting it back are slim as the garda and 3 have a process to follow.
    You will always get quicker results your self if your a bit tech savvy

Best thing is the mac address. although you cant track it as such in some cases it can be located in a netgwork. this is where its always good to have mates in o2/voda etc.

I had a mate who had his laptop taken in very similar circumstances in his house. long story is the g/f of his lodger had it.
    it was so simple as she tethered her laptop from her registered pre pay and bingo. stung with her number.

The other side of storing stuff on google drive or dropbox etc you also must make sure you log out from these services EVERY time

OP - if you want backtrack 5 r3 is a useful tool

Ok, thanks, I dont really do FB though, I did mean tracking it to see where it is, I imagine the process of the Gardai is slow and privacy laws prevent any network provider dishing out details.
    I log out of everything all the time, Im certain my laptop login password is easily circumventable being microsoft.
    Know no one in any service provider.
    Not really my field, can IP's be pinned to an address by your self?
    How accurately can it be pinned down??

cerastes wrote: »
    Ok, thanks, I dont really do FB though, I did mean tracking it to see where it is, I imagine the process of the Gardai is slow and privacy laws prevent any network provider dishing out details.
    I log out of everything all the time, Im certain my laptop login password is easily circumventable being microsoft.

That's exactly what I'm trying to work out - can IP's be pinned down to an address.

DarrenJ wrote: »
    That's exactly what I'm trying to work out - can IP's be pinned down to an address.

If so couldnt a Garda have stolen property identified to them, if you have a serial number/photos? if its still there, otherwise it'll be ditched rapidly after that if not present at the time.

• Advertisement

Some IP add are static and some are dynamic. the short answer is yes but the ip add can and will change in most cases so its vital to know the new one should it change. my ip add is traced to about 10 mtres to my actual position. The mac add is the most important number. for example if a laptop is stolen in a college and is used within the same network it can pin it down very easy with this info.

very close to the address but not exact address, judging by your earlier details the area is rural enough <snip> so chances are an exact address is not required.

dont rely on just a login password. put a password on your BIOS too. google how to do it

dont rely on just a login password. put a password on your BIOS too. google how to do it

\googling this, I realise, I may haved reset a BIOS password before on a desktop.
    Looks like its circumventable.

\googling this, I realise, I may haved reset a BIOS password before on a desktop.
    Looks like its circumventable.

every little helps, some theives may not be able to get around it

Whats a good way to track a laptop? phone I could see it being done, even without the sim in, or if it was unlocked from security settings, if thats possible, but a laptop?

I reccomend Prey or even having a dyndns agent which would talk back and allow you to see what IP it is being served..

Here is what happens when you rob a laptop from a hacker.

To the OP, I do hope it turns up...

every little helps, some theives may not be able to get around it

Dont want to keep taking this off track, but the BIOS password, is this the admin/user password to the setup. (I dont mean the admin password in windows)

Dont want to keep taking this off track, but the BIOS password, is this the admin/user password to the setup. (I dont mean the admin password in windows)

this is before you get into windows

NoDrama wrote: »
    I reccomend Prey or even having a dyndns agent which would talk back and allow you to see what IP it is being served..

Here is what happens when you rob a laptop from a hacker.

To the OP, I do hope it turns up...

Re hacker, just watched the lot, brilliant, funny, he mentions dyndns, think I'll look that up for a start and maybe start using some kind of keychain, I have one on another laptop called omnipass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Re hacker, just watched the lot, brilliant, funny, he mentions dyndns, think I'll look that up for a start and maybe start using some kind of keychain, I have one on another laptop called omnipass.

Another option is using something like LastPass for Chrome/firefox. It's free (with a premium add on for android and other OS's) and syncs across browsers. You can use it to write down other passwords etc too.

If you're still paranoid about security with that, you can use an on-screen keyboard to click the keys. particularly useful on touchscreen laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I have took a look through the Gmail settings and can't find how to do it.

I use Mozilla Firefox as Google Chrome was slow on the LT.

Only my desktop's IP address has logged into my Gmail account in the last day so maybe they have it up for sale or realise they need rid of it.

There are some guides here:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001350.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Google-History

Have a look at the history for the last few days and you will be able to see anything the thief searched for whilst logged into your gmail account. It might give some useful information.

Were you logged into FB? If so there will be a record of I.P connections for this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I really hope this is found O.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Any joy with this OP, it all sounds intriguing...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulfosters

Cant understand why the thread just stopped. Could the OP update us ?:)

No joy I'm afraid. The Gardaí sent the I.P. address to a criminal tracing unit in Dublin to see who it is.

Haven't heard anything back and had to buy another laptop but got it at cost price from the same shop.

No joy I'm afraid. The Gardaí sent the I.P. address to a criminal tracing unit in Dublin to see who it is.

Haven't heard anything back and had to buy another laptop but got it at cost price from the same shop.

any live IP activity still?

any live IP activity still?

Nothing at all since.

I'll wait and see what stems from the Gardaí's tracing division and I'm still keeping an eye on DoneDeal and Adverts and in the second hand shops around and I gave them all details of the laptop - serial number, model, colour etc. in the case someone tries to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

When I saw a reply I thought it was good news! Sorry for ya buddy ... Let us know of it does turn up!

Advertisement