Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch Simon 3 system - External Box?

Options
  • 02-03-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I have a (Eircom) Phonewatch Simon 3 wireless system installed since '06.
    Upon testing I noticed the outside alarm box neither flashed nor sounded - only the internal alarm sounded.
    Is this outside box a dummy box or should it be hooked up to function as part of an alarm activation with lights & sound?
    Is there a setting that is turned off/deleted?

Thanks in advance
    JK

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

As standard PW only install a decoy box. A working external bell is an optional extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

it only takes a 6v bell so they not easy to get I have a few still normal bell boxes are 12v and will not work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

JFKIRELAND wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I have a (Eircom) Phonewatch Simon 3 wireless system installed since '06.
    Upon testing I noticed the outside alarm box neither flashed nor sounded - only the internal alarm sounded.
    Is this outside box a dummy box or should it be hooked up to function as part of an alarm activation with lights & sound?
    Is there a setting that is turned off/deleted?

Thanks in advance
    JK

REW on the suppliers list here sell them. It is a 6V SABB you would need. Just ring in advance and they will get it for you. You would need engineer access to the control panel to add the working SABB.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

REW don't have them I asked the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

As an extra they cost €250 from phonewatch possibly more with the new price strategy .. You'll have to check and see that you're not in a contract with them.

• Advertisement

stuartkee wrote: »
    REW don't have them I asked the other day

Just ring in advance and they will get it for you. Only got a few the other day off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

As I previously mentioned took over a PW Simon XT today, the client got them to fit and extra siren in his property, they used a HKC Echo internal siren, not as loud as usual but did work on the 9 volts.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I really must get around to trying this..
    If you have a 6 or 9 volt panel and want to connect a standard bell. Can you use an external 12volt power supply and common the negatives.? If you do this can the negative from the panel trigger the 12volt standard bell?

KoolKid wrote: »
    I really must get around to trying this..
    If you have a 6 or 9 volt panel and want to connect a standard bell. Can you use an external 12volt power supply and common the negatives.? If you do this can the negative from the panel trigger the 12volt standard bell?

Hmmm interesting i wonder though would the 12 volts from the PSU supersede the 6/9 volts from the panel. Perhaps a 6/9 volt relay coil?

Although, hold off SAB with 12vdc from PSU, then - trigger from panel, suppose a negative common between 12vdc PSU and panel is needed.

kub wrote: »
    As I previously mentioned took over a PW Simon XT today, the client got them to fit and extra siren in his property, they used a HKC Echo internal siren, not as loud as usual but did work on the 9 volts.

Its a low voltage one that should be used. GE SECURITY 13-949 Interior Piezo Siren. Low voltage panel, same with the external bell.

• Advertisement

Both the simon and simon xt will work fine once you don't exceed 250mA @ 6v. You can compensate for a 12v siren by using a less mA

The panel struggles to power the strobe on simon 6v sabb so the normal HKC bell should work fine as it's using LEDs to strobe and you can set the bell to use the internal battery for its main power when in alarm.

PSU and a relay will obviousally work. SB1s will also work as an internal. I've used a few times on Risco panels.

An easier option is to add a 6v Sabb. Works out cheaper too.

Agreed, If you have one.
    Some lads might prefer their own bells though.

My ex PW client has seen sense, we are removing the Simon and replacing it with an ATS1000 and wireless card.

So back to the familiar 12 v.

Beat solution over all.
    Can the Ats take duel frequencies?

Beat solution over all.
    Can the Ats take duel frequencies?

Well this system was installed in 2011 so i am assuming (dangerous word) that we are dealing with 868.

AFAIK it just depends on which radio receiver card you need.

What are you thinking Siemens?

No just thinking if you take over a 433 system can you add 868 devices?

No just thinking if you take over a 433 system can you add 868 devices?

Probably need 2 wireless receivers one for each frequency.

My ex PW client has seen sense, we are removing the Simon and replacing it with an ATS1000 and wireless card.

So back to the familiar 12 v.

Has he got a problem with the Simon that he is replacing it for another control panel?

• Advertisement

The simon 3 works on 433.92mhz
    The simon xt is 868mhz

Send the panel my way if you don't want it ! ;)

Probably need 2 wireless receivers one for each frequency.

You could use the likes of the siemens or Hkc 10/70 .. Use a 433 quick bridge for the 10 hardwired zones and keep the existing RF sensors

altor wrote: »
    Has he got a problem with the Simon that he is replacing it for another control panel?

Just the whole lack of security of it.

Just looking at the easiest option for taking over a pw system.

Just looking at the easiest option for taking over a pw system.

For the simon 3 you could keep the panel and charge the account and phone number same for the simon xt.

There's a new ge 868mhz panel that will take the simon xt 868 sensors

Evolution1 wrote: »
    For the simon 3 you could keep the panel and charge the account and phone number same for the simon xt.

There's a new ge 868mhz panel that will take the simon xt 868 sensors

Other than the ATS1000 with wire less card?

Just the whole lack of security of it.

To add security you could just move the control panel to a different location and install a keypad in the hall. Is that the main concern?

Does anyone know what frequency the two way talking touchpad for the simon 3 uses ? It's not 433mhz like the sensors

What version is the Simon?

• Advertisement

Advertisement