Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Replacement

Options
  • 02-03-2014 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,119 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a 9100 Dell Desktop, the PSU failed. It let a bang and smoke came out of it. What are my options , I would like to get it fixed. Can anyone here recommend someone that could fix it.
    I really liked this PC, what would be good replacement. I don't want WINDOWS 7 OR 8 !!! I want XP !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Get a new psu for the pc and try it to see if the pc works and hope that nothing else fried along with it.

As for xp.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows/end-support-help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Dell don't always use ATX PSUs btw, so take it out to confirm it's standard. It may cost more to replace it than the systems worth if the PSU is not standard. Also why do you need XP? XP will be a security concern after April so it's advisable to make the migration to 7, 8 or Linux at this stage.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 36,119 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I would not know how to take it out. To many wires to undo, would be hard to get it back together. So XP is on way out. Windows 8.1 is not liked.
    Windows 7 maybe I can live with.

If I could save my files I'd be happy with that, could ''my documents' be recovered?

I dunno what Linux is, can that run all the same programs> Like Microsoft Office ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What are the spec's, are a few 9100 models through the years. If its an old one, as in a Pentium 4, it would be literally as cheap to buy another preowned Dell with a Dual core, 2Gb ram, etc on the likes of adverts.ie. They can be gotten for around the €50 mark.

If its one of the newer ones, it should be both ATX and worth replacing the PSU with a straight forward €35-40 power supply. 90% of Dells the past few years are ATX as far as I've ever seen.

Advertisement