Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared sewerage /manhole on private land

Options
  • 02-03-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

Looking for views on shared sewerage pipe with manhole on private ground. The manhole is backed up and council say ots upto the neighbours to pay/arrange for cleaning. As its in my property no one else cares . What can I do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What's the arrangement? Any management company in place? Any covenants? If none of the above then it's likely you will have to unblock it at your own cost I would have thought as if nobody else is affected then it's likely they couldn't have played any part in blocking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

murphaph wrote: »
    What's the arrangement? Any management company in place? Any covenants? If none of the above then it's likely you will have to unblock it at your own cost I would have thought as if nobody else is affected then it's likely they couldn't have played any part in blocking it.

Dont know how you could come to that conclusion ! The drain is shared its blocked but hasn't been blocked long enough to back up back to the other houses. No management co etc council have in charge all service s abutting the properties.

So you're definitely the last premises before the sewer enters the public system? If so then you need to decide if you want to try a legal remedy which will likely be costly....or pay dynorod yourself. Bit of a balls alright

So you're definitely the last premises before the sewer enters the public system? If so then you need to decide if you want to try a legal remedy which will likely be costly....or pay dynorod yourself. Bit of a balls alright

I think I might have to bite the bullet on it. And send copy invoice to neighbours hope everyone pays up. Other wise just not saying I would but as its my land I could threaten to block the other access point at the back of my house and mine would stay flowing but all others would stop and back up to theirs giving them an incentive to pay when there is a blockage on the pipe in the future which they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Other wise just not saying I would but as its my land I could threaten to block the other access point at the back of my house and mine would stay flowing but all others would stop and back up to theirs giving them an incentive to pay when there is a blockage on the pipe in the future which they use.
    Just don't put that bit in writing, as if it did block up again, they could claim it was your doing!

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Just don't put that bit in writing, as if it did block up again, they could claim it was your doing!

True its just a strange system. The council obviously have had this issue a lot as its got a section on the website.

The whole thing is weird. My mother's house is semi-d and has a manhole in the back garden. The sewer blocks the odd time and the council (SDCC) require access to that manhole to jet it out.

It's sad that neighbours who are all attached to this sewer can't see that they have a moral obligation to share the maintenance costs equally. Shouldn't have to go chasing or threatening them. Common decency seems to have disappeared in Ireland.

The whole thing is weird. My mother's house is semi-d and has a manhole in the back garden. The sewer blocks the odd time and the council (SDCC) require access to that manhole to jet it out.

It's sad that neighbours who are all attached to this sewer can't see that they have a moral obligation to share the œmaintenance costs equally. Shouldn't have to go chasing or threatening them. Common decency seems to have disappeared in Ireland.

The sdcc take responsibility ? It does your mother pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We have the same problem at the back of our house due mainly to one of our neighbours throwing wet wipes down the toilet. We sent out a letter to everyone asking them to stop but to no avail.

After paying a drain cleaner a couple of times, I bit the bullet and bought my own sewer rods, a pair of arm length water proof gloves and a nine inch (the bigger one) plunge head.

Takes about five minutes once a month. The worst bit is removing the secondary valve. Also remember to keep turning the rods to the right so you don't lose the head.

The sdcc take responsibility ? It does your mother pay ?
    The council pays. Early 70s row of houses. Everything taken in charge donkeys years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement