Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park by phone Kilkenny City.

Options
  • 02-03-2014 5:05pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

I see these new spaces popping up around the city. They are identified by red markings on the road beside normal parking spaces. You can pay for parking via a Phone number or via their iphone or android apps. To download the app just scan the sign with ur smart phone. ONE PROBLEM. The sign is 7 foot in the air. Lol. Ill grab a picture of sign later.

Use a similar system everyweek in dublin and have to say. Very handy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

kikel wrote: »
    I see these new spaces popping up around the city. They are identified by red markings on the road beside normal parking spaces. You can pay for parking via a Phone number or via their iphone or android apps. To download the app just scan the sign with ur smart phone. ONE PROBLEM. The sign is 7 foot in the air. Lol. Ill grab a picture of sign later.

Use a similar system everyweek in dublin and have to say. Very handy.

Heard they will be a euro a day too? Where have you seen them?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

That euro a day could be right. The are out of town a bit. The places I spotted them are as follows.

Fire station end of gaol road.
    Outside Garda station.
    Vicar street.

The area up at top end Gaol road is rarely used for parking. So the euro a day idea makes sense, I presume the are trialling this for implementation throughout the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

That euro a day could be right. The are out of town a bit. The places I spotted them are as follows.

Fire station end of gaol road.
    Outside Garda station.
    Vicar street.

The area up at top end Gaol road is rarely used for parking. So the euro a day idea makes sense, I presume the are trialling this for implementation throughout the city.

Thanks will take a look when passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

The system has been around for years. First launched in London many years ago & proved very successful. The system is run & owned by a company called paybymobilephone. They are based in Canada & do other payment stuff like paying for your beer & hotdog at baseball matches, etc. with your phone.

Generally, when implemented by LA's it is on a limited trial basis & if successful, rolled out across the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Paul101

Hi all. The new one hour zones set up in Kilkenny are designed to provide workers and anybody needing a long stay the chance to pay only 1 euro for the entire day. There is a full list of the streets involved on the website www.kilkennycity.ie

I used it on Monday and noticed also that the sign is too high up to scan the QR code and so the way to get the app is to search for "parkmagic" in the Android or Apple stores and download it. (Or get a ladder to scan the code :) )
    It works by registering details and adding some credit and hen you can park away.
    There is also a phone number on the signs that you can call to pay if you don't have the app.
    The traffic wardens can check the payment status from your car reg.
    The street I parked on was Jacob Street and it was only a 5 minute walk to the High street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 gbond

shane 007 wrote: »
    The system has been around for years. First launched in London many years ago & proved very successful. The system is run & owned by a company called paybymobilephone. They are based in Canada & do other payment stuff like paying for your beer & hotdog at baseball matches, etc. with your phone.

Generally, when implemented by LA's it is on a limited trial basis & if successful, rolled out across the city.

Shane 007, just wanted to correct you on few facts:
    The Pay By Phone system is supplied to Kilkenny Town Council by Limerick company called ParkMagic. The system - Pay By Phone/App - has been around for years and successfully operates in Limerick, Cork, Ennis and now Kilkenny. Company does not do payment stuff like paying for your beer and hotdogs with your phone, however it provides tolling solutions and car park reservation nationwide. You can check it out on company's website - www.parkmagic.net.
    :)

Paul101 wrote: »
    Hi all. The new one hour zones set up in Kilkenny are designed to provide workers and anybody needing a long stay the chance to pay only 1 euro for the entire day. There is a full list of the streets involved on the website www.kilkennycity.ie

I used it on Monday and noticed also that the sign is too high up to scan the QR code and so the way to get the app is to search for "parkmagic" in the Android or Apple stores and download it. (Or get a ladder to scan the code :) )
    It works by registering details and adding some credit and hen you can park away.
    There is also a phone number on the signs that you can call to pay if you don't have the app.
    The traffic wardens can check the payment status from your car reg.
    The street I parked on was Jacob Street and it was only a 5 minute walk to the High street.

Are Parkmagic\tolltag a good company to work for?

And as for gBond!! 1 post LOL

gbond wrote: »
    Shane 007, just wanted to correct you on few facts:
    The Pay By Phone system is supplied to Kilkenny Town Council by Limerick company called ParkMagic. The system - Pay By Phone/App - has been around for years and successfully operates in Limerick, Cork, Ennis and now Kilkenny. Company does not do payment stuff like paying for your beer and hotdogs with your phone, however it provides tolling solutions and car park reservation nationwide. You can check it out on company's website - www.parkmagic.net.
    :)
    Is it on license from paybymobilephone? I know they set up the system years ago as they licensed the system in London many moons ago. They are based in Vancouver.
    I know because it was set up by my cousin there & he & his business partner then sold out the company for a small fortune. Well that's my claim to fame anyhow!

Either way it will be based on the same or similar system.

Perhaps you might put some better thought into the height of the sign if you are involved with Park Magic.

Hi Kikel
    I do work for ParkMagic but i did not come on here to promote anything. I just wanted to help people as I noticed the posts and as I had the information I thought why not pass it on.
    One thing to note though is that this is a Kilkenny city service and we are just a technology provider for them.

When I was there on Monday I noticed the same thing as you. The bloody signs are very high. That is not a problem as the phone number and zone numbers are easy to read but the QR code is not scanable without a ladder. One mistake in the sign artwork is that it relied on the QR code and did not inform people how to get the app or indeed what it was even called. I tried to help with that by posting the name of the app in my first post.
    Cheers Paul

Is it on license from paybymobilephone? I know they set up the system years ago as they licensed the system in London many moons ago. They are based in Vancouver.
    I know because it was set up by my cousin there & he & his business partner then sold out the company for a small fortune. Well that's my claim to fame anyhow!

Either way it will be based on the same or similar system.

Perhaps you might put some better thought into the height of the sign if you are involved with Park Magic.

Hi Shane
    ParkMagic is an Irish company, based in Limerick and has been in operation since 2005. We developed our own solution from the start and are not licencing it from anybody.

Thanks for your friendly advice on the height of the signs.I was shocked to see them so high and disappointed that the QR code was too high to scan. We will see if the City can put out the word that the app can be downloaded from Google and Apple stores by searching for "parkmagic"
    As for the two posters shane007 and gbond !! whats going there?

• Advertisement

Hey Paul,

Thanks for your comments. Another opinion from me, probably more a council problem but I think the signs are very hard to read. Especially for a new service and if ye are hoping of the project to be a success.

Hey Paul,

Thanks for your comments. Another opinion from me, probably more a council problem but I think the signs are very hard to read. Especially for a new service and if ye are hoping of the project to be a success.

Cheers for that Kikel. I will pass it on to them

Hi Shane
    ParkMagic is an Irish company, based in Limerick and has been in operation since 2005.

I know. I have an account with you!
    As for the two posters shane007 and gbond !! whats going there?

What that supposed to mean?

I know. I have an account with you!

What that supposed to mean?

Hi Shane
    Just one has 007 and the other has Bond :) just having a joke

Hi Shane
    Just one has 007 and the other has Bond :) just having a joke

Lol, never copped that!

FYI, my cousin's company was paybyphone.com, not paybymobilephone.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Anyone know the story with Sunday parking in these zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

A simple quick intermediate solution might be to put a waterproof sticker on the pole lower down with the QR code.

Anyone got a picture of one of the signs as I haven't seen them yet.

I work in around Dublin City a good bit and the mobile payment solution is a godsend (along with tolltags!). I regularly work on services in buildings and a 30 minute job often turns into 3 hours so it's great to be able to get the warning text and top up the parking remotely without the need for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OpenYourMind

On the park magic site, it states for street parking that you need to order a free decal before using the parking facility. Duly ordered onw, and still waiting. No luck with customer service so far. Does anyone know how long it takes for decal to arrive, or if it's even needed?

Advertisement