Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance Selling Regulations

Options
  • 02-03-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Just bought a new laptop, it arrived on Friday, singed into it and did a little surfing but that's it.

Just looked at the manufacturers site I bought it from and now they have the same model but with a 1TB (instead of 500GB)hard drive and 8GB (instead of 4GB) of RAM for €40 extra, I'm a bit sickened as I was just about to order more RAM anyway and it would have cost me €80 for a 8GB stick.

Can I return it under the distance selling regulations and then buy the other one?

Seems a bit cheeky I know but what are my rights here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I would imagine you don't really have any come back on the laptop . If the laptop you bought was stated to have a 500gb hard drive and 4 gbs of ram then they sent you the correct laptop . Sorry if this seems abit harsh but that's my assessment of the situation .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It sounds cheeky for sure, but under distance selling regulations, you do have cooling off period of 7 days, beginning when you receive the product. You are liable for paying the return costs and getting the item back to the retailer safely.

If you add the cost of return to the extra cost of the improved model, does it make economic sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Was looking for the rights regarding the 7 day cooling off period and returning it under that.

Cheeky, for sure, and I'd hate to have me as a customer :rolleyes:

Odds are I won't do anything about it did pee me off a little bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You must return it in the condition you received it. This is not possible with a laptop once you use it as Windows will have been registered and the HDD used.

• Advertisement

Grand, sure I've cooled down over it now anyway :o

Bloody frustrating when something like this happens though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gtg60 wrote: »
    Grand, sure I've cooled down over it now anyway :o

Bloody frustrating when something like this happens though...

That happens with computer equipment on an almost weekly basis. You were happy to buy it as it was. Stick with that!

That happens with computer equipment on an almost weekly basis. You were happy to buy it as it was. Stick with that!

Ah, you're not wrong there, killer is I was watching and watching it for about 10 weeks and then when I do pull the trigger on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The key for a happy life when buying a PC or laptop is to not check prices of anything until you want to buy another item. This will prevent a lot of angst later

Advertisement