Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banjo stolen on shop street

Options
  • 02-03-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Posting here on behalf of a mate who's a busker. His banjo robbed this morning between 1030 - 1130.... Across from easons

No banjo no work .

It's a long neck, 5 string banjo. Yellow sticker on the case...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

ArtyC wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Posting here on behalf of a mate who's a busker. His banjo robbed this morning between 1030 - 1130.... Across from easons

No banjo no work .

Cheers

Check local pawn shops as well as adverts.ie and donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Been watching them alright. Thanks ! Taken in full view on shop street heart breaking stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Surely some CCTV in that area. Have you checked with Gardaí/shop owners.
    The fact that you know for certain it was between 10.30 and 11.30 will be an enormous help.
    This item is probably irreplaceable for the owner, as musicians become totally attached to a particular instrument. Really hope its returned.

washman3 wrote: »
    Surely some CCTV in that area. Have you checked with Gardaí/shop owners.
    The fact that you know for certain it was between 10.30 and 11.30 will be an enormous help.
    This item is probably irreplaceable for the owner, as musicians become totally attached to a particular instrument. Really hope its returned.

Reported it to the guards alright but they haven't looked into CCTV as far as I know.... There are loads of cameras so it would amazing to just get it back!

Just posting it up here for him- in case anyone spots it in the meantime- he's a bit lost without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If this helps I'm presuming this is the banjo (excuse my photo style)

8482805703_b8a114c9f1_z.jpg
    Galway Street Busker by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

• Advertisement

That's the one. Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

ArtyC wrote: »
    Hi,

No banjo no work .

Cheers

if you appraoch all the shops, bars etc in that area i'm sure they'll have a look on their cameras for ya, make sure and ask up and down shop st and they can be on the lookout for the banjo or banjo case on the move, the garda might not have the time or be bothered enough to go putting the pieces together and there's nothing stopping a citizen from doing the same job themselves, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 43 masterp

I've posted on twitter and facebook. getting a few retweets. The lads are well known and like by City folk.

if you appraoch all the shops, bars etc in that area i'm sure they'll have a look on their cameras for ya, make sure and ask up and down shop st and they can be on the lookout for the banjo or banjo case on the move, the garda might not have the time or be bothered enough to go putting the pieces together and there's nothing stopping a citizen from doing the same job themselves, best of luck

Yep this is what he's been doing!! Thanks guys

masterp wrote: »
    I've posted on twitter and facebook. getting a few retweets. The lads are well known and like by City folk.

Thanks- big banjo surely someone knows :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Did they actually take the case as well? That case is falling apart so it might be worth keeping an ear open for somebody who might be looking for another one if they are planning on selling the banjo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Time to start a shop street chase between a pick up truck and a squad car.
    That'll flush out the banjo........

Did they actually take the case as well? That case is falling apart so it might be worth keeping an ear open for somebody who might be looking for another one if they are planning on selling the banjo.

Ya case gone as well. Had a big yellow sticker on it. Yeah case is falling apart

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

dinneenp wrote: »
    If this helps I'm presuming this is the banjo (excuse my photo style)

8482805703_b8a114c9f1_z.jpg
    Galway Street Busker by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr
    I fixed your picture so that it's easier to recognise who your talking about.

yermansbanjo_zps380d8ffe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Hope he finds it. I saw a bango abandoned on shop street in the same location across from easons a few weeks back..like the busker just left it down and went off for a cup of tea. I remember looking around wondering where the owner was! Has he checked any CCTV in the area.

Hope he finds it. I saw a bango abandoned on shop street in the same location across from easons a few weeks back..like the busker just left it down and went off for a cup of tea. I remember looking around wondering where the owner was! Has he checked any CCTV in the area.

Being checked as far as I know. He asked me to put it here. Try anything at this stage.
    Said he'd calling found... Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Just back in Dublin after a weekend in Galway, Heard this guy doing his thing on sat he sounded incredible, shame that some little bollix steals something that helps him make a living.

Hope he gets it back soon..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That guy is an awesome busker.

On a number of occasions I've seen the banjo just left on the ground and the owner nowhere to be seen. Honestly he was asking for it to be taken at some stage and it may be a case that someone saw it left on the ground with no one around and picked it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

That guy is an awesome busker.

And a nice guy too ;)

Really hope he finds it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

On a number of occasions I've seen the banjo just left on the ground and the owner nowhere to be seen. Honestly he was asking for it to be taken at some stage and it may be a case that someone saw it left on the ground with no one around and picked it up

I'd be 99% sure that's what happened.

However that doesn't actually make it any less wrong to just take it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

I'd be 99% sure that's what happened.

However that doesn't actually make it any less wrong to just take it.

No it doesn't, but whenever I played gigs I always kept an eye on my guitar because instruments will walk.

Some scumbag is probably trying to pawn it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yeah I've seen it left too a bunch of times. It's actually made me nervous! Did he leave it to hang on to a pitch or something while he was having refreshments? Yikes! Anyway hope he gets it back soon, it's sh*te for a musician to lose an instrument.

It sucks for him that his banjo is gone but honestly, if he's willing to leave it abandoned on shop street then he has only himself to blame and it's hard to feel much sympathy for him. I also think that it's unfair to say that it was stolen, he has repeatedly abandoned it on one of the busiest streets in Ireland and hopefully the person who took it will return it or at the very least keep better care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I also think that it's unfair to say that it was stolen, he has repeatedly abandoned it on one of the busiest streets in Ireland and hopefully the person who took it will return it or at the very least keep better care of it.

Sorry, but taking something that doesn't belong to you IS stealing. Doesn't matter where that thing is.

And of course he was keeping the pitch: does it like that regularly while he has coffee opposite Anto Ryans.

Sorry, but taking something that doesn't belong to you IS stealing. Doesn't matter where that thing is.

And of course he was keeping the pitch: does it like that regularly while he has coffee opposite Anto Ryans.

It was abandoned in the street for a considerable amount of time. Yes taking something that doesn't belong to you is stealing but when something is left in the street it's a somewhat grey area. The owner of the banjo lost it between 10:30 and 11:30 meaning that it was abandoned in the street for a full hour. I wouldn't leave anything of value on the street for more than a few seconds and if he really wanted to keep his place then he should have had a coffee brought to him.

If while walking home tonight someone finds a jacket thrown in the street are the stealing it if they take it home? If the banjo was so important to him then he would have kept better care of it. It's a sad situation for the guy and he comes across as a nice guy but honestly it's hard to have sympathy for someone who would just leave something that's supposedly so precious unattended on one of the countrues busiest streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not a grey area. The banjo was stolen and there is no two ways about it. It's not a jacket found in the middle of the night, let's not compare apples and bananas.

If the owner kept leaving it there (if) then of course someone will steal it eventually "opportunity makes a thief".
    I suppose the more often you leave it a while and it doesn't get stolen you kinda tend to trust people, and then one day the wrong person walks past.

Good luck busker guy, hope you find it. Try various music shops and other places that may be a way for the thief to flog it.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/find/all/for-sale/Ireland/banjo
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_banjo/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭itsirishfarmer

put fliers up on lampposts
    did he just leave it in the street

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Right now we don't actually know so it's mostly speculation about what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

It was abandoned in the street for a considerable amount of time. Yes taking something that doesn't belong to you is stealing but when something is left in the street it's a somewhat grey area.

How is it a grey area? If you parked your car on a street and it was taken it wouldn't be a grey area. It was stolen plain and simple. Give the man more respect than saying he doesn't deserve any sympathy. He's one of the best buskers in the city and doesn't deserve to have his banjo stolen.

Hope its found alive and well.

Advertisement